Oh well still a good season.

FORTY NINE TO ZERO

I enjoyed the hell out of this season, we found ways to win, fought back when down, beat OU, beat the wizard at his castle, need I go on?  Do I want more? Hell yes, but we were in HORRIBLE shape when the cake was supposedly baked. 

I'll take this year and the trend line that is shows. We had to crawl our way out of the WORST THREE YEAR PERIOD IN TEXAS FOOTBALL HISTORY! Two years ago we lost to freaking Kansas, it's going to take a while to wash of that stank. This season is a big step in that direction.

7 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Agreed. I'm more on board than I was a year ago, but not all the way there. 

Herman brings a lot of good things and a lot that could be improved. I'm not convinced he'll be great, but he at least seems pretty good. He's also still young and in only his 4th season as a head coach. 

Herman is going to continue to inprove as a HC. I feel pretty good long term about where we are headed. It took Mack an extra few years to get where we were going with some disappointing 10 and 11 win seasons along the way. I would love to be pissed at 11 wins again.

At the risk of being called aggy and having the moral victory card thrown at me, I'm going to say I'm cool for how it turned out.  Especially after the shitshow back on Labor Day weekend against Maryland.  I recall I was pissed off as hell up in Fredricksburg watching the game and the wine samples at the different shops came in handy.   I though 4-7 might be a real possiblity and shit, things turned around begining with the USC game.    We came close to coming into this game with one loss at a miniumum  or none had we actually played to our potential against Maryland, WV and Okie Lite.   

So here's hoping we get to a good bowl game and we play one of the SEC! SEC! SEC! bastard childern  like UGA or LSU and we come out with a chip on our shoulders and beat them and make all these goobers at aggy and on ESPN choke on their chilie.  Then we have a great recruiting class and spring and we come out mudhole La Tech in game one and do the same to LSU.

• Like 1

The hope is that the continuity of system and talent will make the QB a consistent strength. Ehlinger was very good this year and has room to improve (accuracy, keeping himself healthy, etc). Having Rising, Thompson, Johnson behind him, getting familiar with a consistent system, will be huge. 

If Herman can get production out of his QBs consistent with what Ehlinger delivered this year, he'll win a lot of games. If he gets more out of them...

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

The 3-3 finish after getting to near top 5 was pretty disappointing. Especially losing that WVU game the way we did. Still a good season in retrospect. 

The season is not over though. That is important to note.

As things stand right now I am not very happy with how things have gone. The thought that we might be watching OU celebrating a championship with us as the losers has haunted me for the last couple weeks.  That has never happened before and wow...it sucks.

However a bowl win will do a lot to change that. A ten win season would be a nice consolation prize.

But I don't think we have achieved enough to declare it a good season. A five loss season and suddenly we are back to the kind of season that ended Mack Brown's tenure here.

5 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I’m thinking I’d much rather go to the Alamo Bowl and play Utah or Stanford and have a reasonable shot at the 10 win season. I think that would give us very good momentum going into the offseason like beating Mizzou last year did. 

U know what would give us great momentum? Beating or playing UGA tough. Playing in big time bowl games vs big time CFB programs only helps in recruiting. So many Horns fans are just moist vaginas

This was a really good season. If you don't think so, go back to the Maryland game and think about how you saw this season play out. The team's trajectory has been trending upwards all season. We are finally out of football purgatory.

Logic is not your strong suit. Things turned out better than expected after blowing chunks at Maryland but that does not make this a good season.

If this is good what do you call a ten win season? How about 11? How about 11 with a win in the CCG?? how about undefeated? Good, gooder, great, goodest?? Sorry but this is a meh season. The last 8 were dog shit seasons.

4 minutes ago, Tom Chairman said:

Logic is not your strong suit. Things turned out better than expected after blowing chunks at Maryland but that does not make this a good season.

If this is good what do you call a ten win season? How about 11? How about 11 with a win in the CCG?? how about undefeated? Good, gooder, great, goodest?? Sorry but this is a meh season. The last 8 were dog shit seasons.

9 wins and playing in the conference championship game is a good season my dude. We’re probably going to the Sugar Bowl for fucks sake

5 minutes ago, Tom Chairman said:

There is bad, good and great. Not making it to the conference championship is bad. Making it to the conference championship is good, winning conference championship is good but only winning a national championship is great.

There is bad, good and great. Not making it to the conference championship is bad. Making it to the conference championship is good, winning conference championship is good but only winning a national championship is great.

I like how you conveniently leave out average. There's dog shit, bad, average, good, great.

Just now, Tom Chairman said:

Average is average and a 9 win season is average.

Its about outcomes. A nine win season is useless unless you are playing for a championship.

Teams like Tech and aggy judge their success by win/loss records. Here its about championships.

57 minutes ago, Tom Chairman said:

I like how you conveniently leave out average. There's dog shit, bad, average, good, great.

We have a .706 all-time winning percentage. 9-4 is .692. So I guess I'd have to agree that this is average. But average for Texas, by this standard, would be better than average for almost every other program in the country. So average for us is good? I'm confused.

Edited by Hank Chinaski

We have a .706 all-time winning percentage. 9-4 is .692. So I guess I'd have to agree that this is average. But average for Texas, by this standard, would be better than average for almost every other program in the country. So average for us is good? I'm confused.

This guy maths.

Average for us is average. If we were average nationally then we'd be a Texas tech.

Upward trend with a win over OU that was epic, several close wins that were losses the year before, and significant contributions by true freshmen on both sides of the ball.  I am sure as hell enjoying Longhorn football a lot more than in years past.  Like what Herman is doing with out of state recruiting, JUCO signees, and overall team discipline.  Glad Sam progressed so much this year and looking forward to 2019.

6 hours ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Why do you even bother following this team?  You're the biggest defeatist, pussy, and whiny bitch I've ever come across on any fan board.  Maybe find somewhere else to let your vagina bleed.  

Pot, meet kettle.

This team is a pretty similar to 2012 in quality on both sides of the ball and overall record/success. This team does feel a lot like 2012, except the embarrassing bed shitting was moved from Dallas to Landover and Stillwater. The poster you quoted also pointed out that 2012 was a good year, which it was, relative to those before and since. Hardly whining. I don't know what your deal is, but calm down a bit.

We played for the conference and it's looking like a NY6 bowl.  That's good progress, even with a pretty soft schedule this year.  As much as I hated some of the close games, it's really nice to feel like we're competing every week.  Charlie seemed like a good dude, but man it was hard to watch some of those games.  That nightmare was only 2 years ago folks.