Pat Mahomes Makes a Ridiculous No Look Pass

Vic Mackey

14 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Kliff was 12-13 with Mahomes in the 2 years he was the full time starter. That is some damn impressive ineptitude by Kliff.

In college, I passed Mahomes off as just being another big stats QB from Tech. I had no idea he was going to take the NFL by storm. 

I think Mayfield is going to be pretty good in this league as well.

26 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers were both mid to late first round picks, so obviously not really way under the radar coming out of college. But it’s interesting to me how so many of the QBs in the league were top 5 picks, or first overall picks, and yet Mahomes and Rodgers are the two guys who physically make throws the other QBs can’t.  

There are busts and steals at every position, but it seems like you don’t see the most physically talented players drafted too low at other positions unless there are off field issues.  It’s not like Adrian Peterson and Saquan Barkley went late first round while 3/4ths of the other starting RBs were drafted higher than them.

Too many ‘system guys’ have floundered in the NFL.  While yes, Mahomes arm strength was already damned near legendary, he’d hardly erased doubts of how well he could execute an NFL offense. Last season, the KC defense was rumored to get totally pissed off at Mahomes for doing shit on scout team that starting QBs were never going to do. 

Even still, the questioned remained, could anyone leverage that raw skill into something that could be done with continuity on the field. Enter Andy Reid, QB guru and The Cheetah, Kelce at TE and until ladt week, Kareem Hunt.  All if those factors have helped Mahomes look great. 

6 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Would like to see some plays to which you are referring. 

Here's a piece on the the no look from his college days. Shows him working on it and doing it at practice.  Didn't look at the tweets though.  Could be game footage there,

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/sports/red-raider-nation/mahomes-no-look-passes-at-practice-turning-heads/423671274

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers were both mid to late first round picks, so obviously not really way under the radar coming out of college. But it’s interesting to me how so many of the QBs in the league were top 5 picks, or first overall picks, and yet Mahomes and Rodgers are the two guys who physically make throws the other QBs can’t.  

There are busts and steals at every position, but it seems like you don’t see the most physically talented players drafted too low at other positions unless there are off field issues.  It’s not like Adrian Peterson and Saquan Barkley went late first round while 3/4ths of the other starting RBs were drafted higher than them.

The dividing line is really 1st rounder. If you’re drafted outside 1st your chances of being NFL starter go way down.

Starters drafted in 1st

Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Eli, Rivers, Rodgers, Cam, Winston, Mariota, Darnold, Josh Allen, Tannehill, Wentz, Luck, Bortles, Stafford, Mayfield, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Rosen, Goff

after first

Brady, Brees, Dak, Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garoppalo, Cousins,  Keenum

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Not to nitpick, but Mahomes was actually taken 10th in first round.

10 hours ago, GRHorn said:

The dividing line is really 1st rounder. If you’re drafted outside 1st your chances of being NFL starter go way down.

Starters drafted in 1st

Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky, Alex Smith, Matt Ryan, Eli, Rivers, Rodgers, Cam, Winston, Mariota, Darnold, Josh Allen, Tannehill, Wentz, Luck, Bortles, Stafford, Mayfield, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Rosen, Goff

after first

Brady, Brees, Dak, Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garoppalo, Cousins,  Keenum

And even that second group is full of guys who would have been 1st round picks most years. Brees was the 1st pick of the 2nd round. Derek would have been a first round pick if his last name wasn't Carr. Wilson would have been drafted #1 if he was 3" taller...everyone loved him leading up to the draft.

6 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

This. Dak Prescott looked pretty damn good his Rookie year. 

True, but to be fair, I'd say Mahomes this year is on quite a different level than Dak's rookie season.  Plus, this isn't Mahomes' rookie season, he didn't play much last year but he's already had a full year to develop and learn the system. 

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

This. Dak Prescott looked pretty damn good his Rookie year. 

OK.  Yeah, I don't think Dak looked this good his rookie season.  He also had the best O-line in the league in front of him that year.  He had 3667 passing yards and 23 TD passes in 16 games.  PM has 4300 and 43 through 13 games.

55 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

RoY, SB MVP? 

No doubt someone holds up Koach Bro's lack of defensive acumen as the reason for his inability to leverage Mahome's talent to a decent record, but... how does this affect the perception of Bro's superstar OC mantle?

Did Mahomes underperform in college?

cKK lost his job for pretty much everything EXCEPT his development of his QBs.

Edited by slorch

Dak was playing behind one of the best offensive lines in the league with an absolute powerhouse back behind him that defenses hadn't had the chance to adjust to. 

He also had some decent threats in the passing game with Witten, Beasely, Dez.

Dak had a great rookie season but nowhere as prolific as what Mahomes is doing this season.

Granted Mahomes is not a rookie - as was already pointed out above.

14 hours ago, slorch said:

Too many ‘system guys’ have floundered in the NFL.  While yes, Mahomes arm strength was already damned near legendary, he’d hardly erased doubts of how well he could execute an NFL offense. Last season, the KC defense was rumored to get totally pissed off at Mahomes for doing shit on scout team that starting QBs were never going to do. . 

This is the flawed logic that the NFL used forever to pass on guys like Mahomes and Mayfield.  The problem isn't that "system QBs" (by that I assume you mean guys who ran some variant of the Air Raid spread in college) floundered... it's that the vast majority of all college QBs, regardless of style, can't play in the NFL, because playing QB in the NFL is the single hardest position in professional sports.

So yeah... guys like Bryce Petty or Brandon Weeden didn't become multi-year starters in the NFL... neither did about 100 other prototypical "pro-style" QBs, but that never stopped NFL GMs from continuing to draft them over their more productive and successful "spread" peers.

Exacerbating the problem was that when NFL teams would draft those guys, they would try to force a square peg into a round hole by forcing those guys to try and be traditional pro-style QBs without at least introducing *some* of the concepts that made them so successful in college.  That started to change when the Washington Redskins actually let RGIII run some of the concepts that he ran at Baylor and -- surprise! -- he was successful!  (At least initially before he was injured).

Now you have the NFL fully embracing these concepts and letting guys like Mayfield, Mahomes, Goff and others do what they did in college and -- wow surprise! -- they are being successful in doing it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

This is the flawed logic that the NFL used forever to pass on guys like Mahomes and Mayfield.  The problem isn't that "system QBs" (by that I assume you mean guys who ran some variant of the Air Raid spread in college) floundered... it's that the vast majority of all college QBs, regardless of style, can't play in the NFL, because playing QB in the NFL is the single hardest position in professional sports.

So yeah... guys like Bryce Petty or Brandon Weeden didn't become multi-year starters in the NFL... neither did about 100 other prototypical "pro-style" QBs, but that never stopped NFL GMs from continuing to draft them over their more productive and successful "spread" peers.

Exacerbating the problem was that when NFL teams would draft those guys, they would try to force a square peg into a round hole by forcing those guys to try and be traditional pro-style QBs without at least introducing *some* of the concepts that made them so successful in college.  That started to change when the Washington Redskins actually let RGIII run some of the concepts that he ran at Baylor and -- surprise! -- he was successful!  (At least initially before he was injured).

Now you have the NFL fully embracing these concepts and letting guys like Mayfield, Mahomes, Goff and others do what they did in college and -- wow surprise! -- they are being successful in doing it.

the NFL doesn't allow NFL defense anymore so of course these guys are doing better. 

11 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

the NFL doesn't allow NFL defense anymore so of course these guys are doing better. 

That's also partially contributing.

But the main factor is that the NFL is finally accepting innovation into offense that has been going on in college for the past 20 years.

It's pretty plainly evident over the past few years, when I see teams running plays that I've been watching in the Big 12 over the past decade, or when I see them literally putting in plays that Lincon Riley has been drawing up over the past couple of years.

Hell the Eagles were basically running an Air Raid variant offense at the end of the year last year and in the Super Bowl with Nick Foles.

Edited by oSuJeff97

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Did Mahomes underperform in college?

cKK lost his job for pretty much everything EXCEPT his development of his QBs.

The point is not QB development, the point is that a coach with a guy like that ought to be able to do better,W-L-wise. The Pirate did better, mostly, with QBs (including Bro) who didn't seem to reach the talent level of Mahomes. Leach has his own shortcomings, though, so take my opinion it for what it's worth, to you.

12 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

The point is not QB development, the point is that a coach with a guy like that ought to be able to do better,W-L-wise. The Pirate did better, mostly, with QBs (including Bro) who didn't seem to reach the talent level of Mahomes. Leach has his own shortcomings, though, so take my opinion it for what it's worth, to you.

Leach did some great coaching with guys like Sonny Cumbie and Cory(sic) Hodges.  Harrell and Potts were top notch talent.

Kliff worked miracles with Webb and Mayfield as Freshmen.  he had Bowman basically looking like a Jr. Drew Brees this season as a Freshman until he got kilt between two mountaineers.  Yes, it is an indictment and strongly contributing factor in his firing that Kliff didn't do more when Mahomes II was at the helm.

I will say again though, his QB development and running an offense were still elite in production.  I do not see how someone could say he darkened his star on that front.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Leach did some great coaching with guys like Sonny Cumbie and Cory(sic) Hodges.  Harrell and Potts were top notch talent.

Kliff worked miracles with Webb and Mayfield as Freshmen.  he had Bowman basically looking like a Jr. Drew Brees this season as a Freshman until he got kilt between two mountaineers.  Yes, it is an indictment and strongly contributing factor in his firing that Kliff didn't do more when Mahomes II was at the helm.

I will say again though, his QB development and running an offense were still elite in production.  I do not see how someone could say he darkened his star on that front.

One more time: not dissing his QB development.

OK, cool.

Hook'em.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

That's also partially contributing.

But the main factor is that the NFL is finally accepting innovation into offense that has been going on in college for the past 20 years.

It's pretty plainly evident over the past few years, when I see teams running plays that I've been watching in the Big 12 over the past decade, or when I see them literally putting in plays that Lincon Riley has been drawing up over the past couple of years.

Hell the Eagles were basically running an Air Raid variant offense at the end of the year last year and in the Super Bowl with Nick Foles.

I did enjoy seeing Wentz trying to run the option last week.

I truly LOLed and it was zero percent his fault.  That was a stupid fucking play call.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Potts had top notch arm talent but tapioca for brains