Who is the insurance guy here?

mycox

On 12/15/2018 at 12:12 PM, mycox said:

I don't think I should be paying over $2k (not including flood) for homeowners insurance. Townhome in Houston and not in a flood zone. Is Amica screwing me over?

Do you require seperate windstorm covereage?

The Harvey rate hikes should be hitting everyone on the coast  this next year.   Yet another reason to look forward to moving further inland.  

• 3 months later...

Is this the general insurance question thread?  Currently I have separate insurance on home (including earthquake), cars, life, and boat.  But I am considering a general umbrella policy to just cover my ass against catastrophe, like a $2 mil or so policy.  Question is do I need to insure everything with the same carrier to get the umbrella policy?  I think that is what I had heard.

39 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Is this the general insurance question thread?  Currently I have separate insurance on home (including earthquake), cars, life, and boat.  But I am considering a general umbrella policy to just cover my ass against catastrophe, like a $2 mil or so policy.  Question is do I need to insure everything with the same carrier to get the umbrella policy?  I think that is what I had heard.

I have 2 different carriers for my houses because State Farm, who insures everything else (including a $3mm umbrella), wouldn't insure my mountain house.  In order to renew the umbrella, I have to send them a copy of the declarations from my mountain house homeowners policy to make sure they are comfortable with the coverage I have up there.  My guess is they'll do the same to you with the boat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I have 2 different carriers for my houses because State Farm, who insures everything else (including a $3mm umbrella), wouldn't insure my mountain house.  In order to renew the umbrella, I have to send them a copy of the declarations from my mountain house homeowners policy to make sure they are comfortable with the coverage I have up there.  My guess is they'll do the same to you with the boat.

How did you shop carriers?

Just now, Sbbruin said:

How did you shop carriers?

For the mountain house, or the umbrella?  I just called State Farm for the umbrella and explained the situation to them.   Would probably be easiest to start with whoever does your house.  Underwriting might get messy with 3-4 insurers in the mix.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 1:25 PM, Sbbruin said:

Is this the general insurance question thread? MAYBE 

Currently I have separate insurance on home (including earthquake), cars, life, and boat.  But I am considering a general umbrella policy to just cover my ass against catastrophe, like a $2 mil or so policy.  GOOD IDEA

Question is do I need to insure everything with the same carrier to get the umbrella policy?  I think that is what I had heard. NOT NECESSARILY. BUT IT DEF HELPS TO HAVE EVERYTHING WITH ONE CARRIER. GENERALLY, THE AUTO AND UMBRELLA MUST BE WITH THE SAME CARRIER.

Answers above.

FYI from a restoration contractor's perspective, Snake Farm is 2nd only to AllSnake for being a steaming pile of shit.

Constant hassles.

Your mileage may vary / this is my personal; experience.

Carry on.

Interesting. Been with State farm my whole life and they have done well just because we could use the whole family as leverage when the tried to get out of stuff. That has gradually changed now and I should probably shop around. Who is good? I don't qualify for usaa

2 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

For those of us who qualify for USAA, should we even shop around for home or auto? 

The few times other agents have approached me in the past, and I told them we were with USAA, they didn't even bother quoting. 

Chubb, AIG, PURE, Cincinnati and Nationwide Private Client all offer much broader coverage (and better claims service) than USAA. Even souped-up programs through Central or Safeco are going to be better than what you can get from USAA. However, compared to the rank-and-file direct writers and other middle market companies, USAA is tough to beat, which is why they probably don't even bother. And USAA clients are incredibly loyal.

Edited by C-Man
  • Like 1