Anatomy of a school shooting /no politics

Loco

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Generally - but it’s a rather well-developed and universally allied doctrine now. It’s more than just one case.

Thanks.  I had no idea “to serve and protect” was simply a social construct va something with a legal basis.  I guess a law officer who fails to act could still face professional consequences (reprimand, firing), they are just not legally liable for what happens if they fail to act?

Thanks.  I had no idea “to serve and protect” was simply a social construct va something with a legal basis.  I guess a law officer who fails to act could still face professional consequences (reprimand, firing), they are just not legally liable for what happens if they fail to act?

Correct. But don’t fool yourself. The professional consequences would be minimal.
  • Like 1

So on on Valentines day lots of parents held their kids out of school, but I talked to mine and they wanted to go in...  When I picked my son up from  High School and asked about his day it was all pretty normal but not a lot of work getting done since many teachers and students were out.... Then he drops this little knowledge nugget on me.

During his personalization period (Study hall) they had the kids make and sign cards for BSO officers to thanks them for keeping them safe!    Yup, awesome!   

I knew  there was a shooting in an Illinois plant last week but I didn't really pay attention to the story.  I saw a headline today about the "Aurora shooter."  I clicked the link wondering why the Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooter was back in the news.  No, the Illinois shooting took place in Aurora, IL.  Shootings are become so common, it's becoming impossible to keep track of them even by name.

17 hours ago, SameSame said:

Going through that story just makes my stomach drop.  Damn those people. 

Yeah, I think the majority of the public are just tired of it and have never heard what really happened.  I think BSO and BCS ran out the clock on the public's attention span. 

One of the most disturbing parts of the Sun Sentinel report is that police are clearing the third floor and finding bodies while the shooter is hanging out at McDonalds. How on earth those resource officers, county officers, and sheriffs are not in prison right now is beyond my comprehension. What is the purpose of having police officers roam the hallway of our schools if they are going to hide behind a wall for 15 minutes while kids are being killed?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Get a load of this horse shit....  

Former Broward Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson says he was improperly blamed for the Parkland high school massacre and that he actually acted appropriately that fateful day.

In a 14-page report, which Peterson sent to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Commission, the former school resource officer says he isn’t the coward he was made out to be in the commission’s report.

He says he followed the Broward Sheriff’s Office’s training and policies for handling an active-shooter crisis.

“I assessed the situation and acted accordingly to the real time intelligence I assessed on the scene,” his response to the commission says.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri, chairman of the MSD Commission, called Peterson’s rebuttal a “fairy tale.” He said Peterson refused to appear before the commission, even when subpoenaed, but then accused it of being one-sided.

“It makes me mad,” Gualtieri said. “The reason why is he continues to engage in this self-serving rhetoric. He needs to take responsibility for his actions. He needs to fess up.”

Peterson’s 14-page rebuttal stands in stark conflict with the findings of the MSD Commission, which investigated law enforcement’s response to the Feb. 14, 2018, shooting in which 17 people were killed and 17 injured.

The commission said there was “overwhelming evidence that Deputy Peterson knew that the gunshots were coming from within or within the immediate area of Building 12” and there was no evidence that he “attempted to investigate the source of the gunshots.”

Rather, the commission found, Peterson “retreated to an area of safety.”

Peterson asked that his rebuttal be added to the MSD Commission’s full report. Gualtieri said Peterson’s rebuttal will “absolutely not” be attached to the report.

Widely branded a coward for failing to run into the school when he heard gunshots, Peterson said his actions were “consistent with the training I had received for the past 30 years.”

Among his assertions:

— He was “not given any information whatsoever by BSO communications” about the shooter, his location, or the fact that there were victims inside the 1200 Building.

— He did call a Code Red to lock down the school, contrary to the MSD Commission’s conclusion that he did not.

— He took control of the scene and started to secure the perimeter of the school, “to safeguard the public from entering.”

— He gave classroom keys to Coral Springs officers who arrived on the scene and relayed information to first responders.

— He obtained “critical information” about shooter Nikolas Cruz’s identity and where he had gone, and yelled it out to other first responders, because the radios weren’t working.

— During his eight years working at the school, he was never informed by the Broward Sheriff’s Office or the city of Parkland that 911 calls made on wireless phones from the school were routed to the city of Coral Springs instead of the Sheriff’s Office.

Other deputies on the scene said Peterson, who worked at the high school for eight years, was emotional and had to take a break to calm down.

Broward Sheriff’s Deputy Robert Rausch told Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigators he saw Peterson in the back of the agency’s “Bearcat” armored vehicle later on the day of the shooting.

“I know he was distraught and they were just trying to let him sit in the air conditioning and — and hang out,” Rausch said.

“He looked like flustered. Um, I don't remember any specific mannerisms that he did. I just remember seeing him flustered and just, you know — he was — apparently he needed to sit down and have a drink of water, sit in the A/C.”

In its initial report released in January, the commission said Peterson was “derelict in his duty” and could have “engage(d) Cruz and mitigate(d) further harm to others.”

The commission found that Peterson had a “hiding place,” at the base of a stairwell and stayed there for about 48 minutes.

The commission meets again in June.

Peterson’s claims are not new.

Almost two weeks after the shooting, on Feb. 26, 2018, Peterson’s lawyer, Joe DiRuzzo, issued a press release defending Peterson. In it, he claimed then that Peterson called a Code Red, locking down the school.

“The allegations that Mr. Peterson was a coward and that his performance, under the circumstances, failed to meet the standards of police officers are patently untrue,” the statement said.

Peterson retired in disgrace from the Broward Sheriff’s Office.

Lawmakers have tried unsuccessfully to block him from collecting his pension of $8,702 a month.

A bill filed by Rep. Spencer Roach, a Lee County Republican, declared that Peterson shall forfeit all of his rights and benefits to his pension because of his “wanton or willful neglect in performance of his assigned duties & contravention of his oath of office.”

It has not been called for a vote by the full House.

A fucking $8,700 a month pension???

$104,000 annually for retirement for a school resource officer/sheriffs deputy?

That seems awfully high for a position that always seems to like to point out how poorly paid they are for the work they do.

Plus -

Florida Retirement Tax Friendliness. Florida has no state income tax, which means Social Security retirement benefits, pension income and income from an IRA or a 401(k) are all untaxed.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

That seems awfully high for a position that always seems to like to point out how poorly paid they are for the work they do.

Plus -

yeah just keep that in mind as you are reading the orginal article....   kids bleeding to death while these shitbags hid and the shooter was having lunch

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Plus -

Social Security retirement benefits are subject to federal income taxes.

Sad to say, while cops and firefighters aren't terribly well paid, in the usual case. they do tend to have very generous pensions (citing the relatively poor pay as a reason).  And those pensions are rendering many cities nearly insolvent.

The unarmed, untrained kid at UNC-Charlotte died tackling the shooter there, saving the lives of many of his classmates. 

This armed & “trained” piece of shit couldn’t be bothered to even make an attempt to challenge Cruz. I hope Peterson kills himself, but it’s clear he feels no shame or guilt for how he acted. Fuck him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Teachers pensions in places like Chicago are also wreaking havoc.

Unions, gotta love em.

sorry but this story has NOTHING to do with teachers getting over...   union or no....   they got/are getting fucked

54 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I didn’t mean to derail the thread with pension talk.

I was just shocked at how high pension the article stated a school resource officer would receive.

Maybeeeeee a SWAT guy or a Chief but $104,000 a year for the school cop? Nah man.

It's a valid "complaint" or observation.  I'm sure the guy had a prior career as a Sheriff's Deputy or something less ignominious than a school guard.  He was probably in charge of marshaling CAF proceeds for MRAPs, margarita machines, and whatnot.

School resource officers are still employees of a law enforcement agency. Not the school districts. 

The school districts usually pay the departments to hire them. They almost always still work other law enforcement shifts outside of the school setting. Particularly when school is not in session. 

22 hours ago, Loco said:

yeah just keep that in mind as you are reading the orginal article....   kids bleeding to death while these shitbags hid and the shooter was having lunch

I mean, you'd hate to die and miss out on that $8,700 a month.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...