Best Pocket Knife?

retread

Damn internet. Not sure where I first saw this knife, but I liked the design. $30, free shipping…so why not? D2 black washed 2.6” blade, liner lock, g10 scales and deep pocket carry clip. It’s a touch heavy for the size, but the build and finish is very impressive for a $30 Chinese knife. Ball bearing pivot, so it flies out. Good indent and lock up. This might be one of the best $30 knives I have seen. Comes in a few colors. Fuck it, I sold several knives recently.

9167e8906ef87cacbc6124fdebd38bad.jpg

9a9ca20e28abba5cb5745179adaefa11.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/19/2022 at 11:32 PM, fattyflattie said:

That’s funny. I’m the exact opposite. No rust at all, but all mine have a sort of case hardened type looking finish. The only thing that’s mirror finish is the top of the blade and the edge. But that’s just my folders.  My current edc fixed is Damascus. 

Got a picture of that Damascus knife?

2 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Got a picture of that Damascus knife?

Im out for a few days but will see if I can get the wife to take me a pic.  If not, later this week.  It’s a stubby little dude that fits nice in horizontal because the lack of length (that’s what she said).  I’ve been on a waiting list for another custom for awhile now and been kicking around what I want to do. Thinking it’s going to be a bit longer and maybe more drop point, or might go with a “gulf coast” type drop point.  My current isn’t my favorite for anything, but has some sentimental to it and it takes a pretty good edge.  I use my little trapper for 95% of everything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I really like the damascus material. My wife bought me a custom damascus fixed blade with Texas prickly pear scales, it’s pretty cool. I will post a picture in just a few. I really don’t want to edc it though. 
Here it is. Cactus and mesquite with the damascus, not sure if this guy makes his own damascus or just buys it. He’s here in Texas https://chopsknives.com/portfolio

6DBFA044-E2AA-4B62-A8A8-C60D674764B4.jpeg

FB193A55-E865-4234-8A7A-1710C8CC16DC.jpeg

Edited by RMac5
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

After a hectic work day that felt like a sprint, I have nothing to do. So I took some terribly lit photos of some budget folders. Photos of knives laying on top of photos I took.

Both are around $50.

The first one is a CJRB Pyrite. This is exactly what I think Kershaw should have done with the Heist instead of the crappy glass filled nylon handle. Some nice G10. Very slim form factor. I am not a big fan of button locks, but this works fine. Action is good, indent is pretty weak. Seeing now something greasy on the scales. Oh well.

68e9ef5481bef5e57faf2e2fbe9ecc30.jpg

Next up is the Petrified Fish Beluga. I didn’t have a yellow knife, nor a front flipper, so why not? Nice action, dig the color G10. Not a big fan of black blades (like black wash though), but it’s a nice color contrast. Cool little knife.

8c9d76c87f1289de03c181543510f2b7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, RMac5 said:

@fattyflattie that’s a great looking knife. Do you find the damascus requires more care if you use it on a regular basis?

To be honest, I haven't.  BUT, I have a little case trapper that is razor sharp and carries the bulk of anything that gets cut around me.   It has a great patina (I don't keep the blades polished).  This little fixed has a decent edge on it, but I'd love to have someone that can really, really get it sharp to take a pass at it. 

Finally got a Benchmade after all these years -- a Griptilian that was a gift.  It's about the same size of some other "large" folders I have, but doesn't weigh nearly as much.  I can understand why some aren't enamored with the handle material, but the handle doesn't really bother me, plus it helps keep the overall weight of the knife down, which is one of the main reasons I like the knife.

Still jonesing for a Bugout, which to me is a much cleaner looking knife than the Griptilian.

I suppose I should clarify.  I don't pry with any knife, except in a dire emergency.  

Having used relatively delicate slip joints most of my life, I have learned to finesse fairly brutal knife operations so as not to endanger points, thin blades, or pinned joints.

When I mentioned prying, it was an oblique reference to the sharpened pry bar, which I consider a lot of "tactical" knives to be.

I also don't know what a "tactical" knife is, exactly, but it's whatever traditional slipjoints and fixed blades aren't.  

Finally got a Benchmade after all these years -- a Griptilian that was a gift.  It's about the same size of some other "large" folders I have, but doesn't weigh nearly as much.  I can understand why some aren't enamored with the handle material, but the handle doesn't really bother me, plus it helps keep the overall weight of the knife down, which is one of the main reasons I like the knife.
Still jonesing for a Bugout, which to me is a much cleaner looking knife than the Griptilian.

I do like the Bugout, but the prices are absurd. Been researching the SOG Terminus XR a bit as an alternative.

I prefer the blade shape on the bugout over the griptillian. I have a couple of Benchmade knives, one is my everyday carry and one I rarely carry. I don’t remember the model of my edc, it has the bugout style blade. The other one is a griptillion, only reason I bought it was I wanted some specific scales made for my knife and the scale guy doesn’t do them for my edc. He does great work if you ever want something unique. 

https://www.deathgripscales.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj5K4me_X_gIVe-3jBx1eRQuvEAAYASAAEgKI4vD_BwE

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

Well fuck. After being out of the acquiring game for several years. It would seem I'm back in. Got a Vero Axon Mini last month. And yeah, I'm gonna need more Vero knives now.

Also started buying new flashlights again.

motherfuck, I'm off the wagon gents. Send Help.

IMG_0873.thumb.jpg.ae75b20307882b6c044aa139a9085b7f.jpgIMG_0872.thumb.jpg.a473b7d1bb44b4b1fe9a3d599acb36ef.jpg

• Like 3

Well fuck. After being out of the acquiring game for several years. It would seem I'm back in. Got a Vero Axon Mini last month. And yeah, I'm gonna need more Vero knives now.
Also started buying new flashlights again.

motherfuck, I'm off the wagon gents. Send Help.

IMG_0873.thumb.jpg.ae75b20307882b6c044aa139a9085b7f.jpgIMG_0872.thumb.jpg.a473b7d1bb44b4b1fe9a3d599acb36ef.jpg

And the cycle begins anew

I spent the morning browsing wurkkos and acebeam flashlights after my kid took my Olight warrior mini. I took it back and am looking for a tail switch light for him to have. Wurkkos FC12

3d85399eab7404e9da1cc062c33933ea.jpg

In the process of looking for his new light I think I found my next impulse buy

Acebeam e70 mini Ti

0ce1bf127dad87acf3282d1c871fb253.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, GottaB said:

And the cycle begins anew

I spent the morning browsing wurkkos and acebeam flashlights after my kid took my Olight warrior mini. I took it back and am looking for a tail switch light for him to have. Wurkkos FC12

3d85399eab7404e9da1cc062c33933ea.jpg

In the process of looking for his new light I think I found my next impulse buy

Acebeam e70 mini Ti

0ce1bf127dad87acf3282d1c871fb253.jpg

Triples are fun. I have 2 Mac's Tri-EDC's and 2 Overready Moddulars.

Have a look at Reylight. He makes a Dawn in the triple (I think the Rook is also a triple). Really well made lights for way cheaper than they should be. That light in the pic above is a LAN from him. It's AA sized (I use 14500's). He also has the mini pineapple that is AAA sized that is a rocket for the size. Both can be had in Ti for less than a hundred bucks.

Also, anything from Hank (Emissar) are great and cheap as well. I have a quad from him that is really fun (D4SV). Infinite ramping is a great feature.

I'm on the hunt for an Okluma DC0. They are very expensive, and hard to find. I may also pick up a CWF Micro Arcadian. Less rare, but still pricey.

2 minutes ago, GottaB said:

Just to bring it back to the topic at hand…

The bugout is a great knife. Just as good as any griptilian I’ve had, just slimmer.

6a104cf347542048289c61ea560b84c2.jpg

Nice BM collection. The 940 is my fav BM. I've had several over the years, but either sold or traded them away. I'm just not an Axis lock guy. I had talked about Tactile Knife Co in Dallas up thread, and their new knife the Maverick won all sorts of awards for new knives at Blade, but it's an Axis, so I'm going to skip it.

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, it appears I’m about to spend too much money on flashlights. 

Welcome.

Ask away if you have any questions. I mostly stick to custom/semi-custom stuff these days, but am pretty knowledgeable generally.

Edited by UnivTex34

4 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Welcome.

Ask away if you have any questions. I mostly stick to custom/semi-custom stuff these days, but am pretty knowledgeable generally.

Sure. I will need no more than 2.  Not scared of the price as long as they will last several years (willing to pay for quality).  Small, bright? Does flash light things. 

19 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Sure. I will need no more than 2.  Not scared of the price as long as they will last several years (willing to pay for quality).  Small, bright? Does flash light things. 

AA Size, look at the Reylight Lan or Pineapple. Bodies are slightly different, but same internals and both run on rechargeable or primaries. Several different materials to choose from, I prefer Ti.

AAA size, the mini pineapple is amazing. Same deal as above, can be had in many materials and can use rechargeables or primaries. His current release have a Nichia 519 LED, which is my current fav emitter. Fantastic CRI and great brightness as well. Usually you sacrifice brightness for CRI. 

Both can be had for under $100 for Ti. Less in other metals. Probably the best bargain for a semi-custom light currently anywhere on the market.

The Rook is a triple, that runs on 18350's and is the sun in your pocket. I do not have one, but the reviews have been fantastic.

Edit to add his website: https://reylight.net/collections/all

He is a one man show, based in Asia, so products will come and go from his site (and there are other places that stock his stuff). Takes about 2 weeks to ship here from Rey himself.

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

AA Size, look at the Reylight Lan or Pineapple. Bodies are slightly different, but same internals and both run on rechargeable or primaries. Several different materials to choose from, I prefer Ti.

AAA size, the mini pineapple is amazing. Same deal as above, can be had in many materials and can use rechargeables or primaries. His current release have a Nichia 519 LED, which is my current fav emitter. Fantastic CRI and great brightness as well. Usually you sacrifice brightness for CRI. 

Both can be had for under $100 for Ti. Less in other metals. Probably the best bargain for a semi-custom light currently anywhere on the market.

The Rook is a triple, that runs on 18350's and is the sun in your pocket. I do not have one, but the reviews have been fantastic.

Edit to add his website: https://reylight.net/collections/all

He is a one man show, based in Asia, so products will come and go from his site (and there are other places that stock his stuff). Takes about 2 weeks to ship here from Rey himself.

Fwiw, I was given something like this by a vendor a decade ago, and I thought it was a really nice light.  It’s what these would be replacing.  Use for hunting pack. 

Eta: shits won’t link.  350 lumen stream light. Looks like they are $70 or so. 

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Fwiw, I was given something like this by a vendor a decade ago, and I thought it was a really nice light.  It’s what these would be replacing.  Use for hunting pack. 

Eta: shits won’t link.  350 lumen stream light. Looks like they are $70 or so. 

Streamlight was good stuff about a decade ago or so. The biggest issue with most of the mass-produced stuff these days is the quality. They went cheap on manufacturing, so the lights just don't last (drivers are CHEAP). They also tend to not use the latest/greatest emitters, and try and get really cute with the interface. You need a low/medium/high and maybe a memory if you are a fan of that. The reylight allows you to program how you like.

Edit to add: OLight is a fav in the EDC world for a cheap entry light. Every single one of mine has broken or stopped working. I won't buy them anymore. 

Edited by UnivTex34

Also, I apologize for the flashlight distraction. We had a dedicated flashlight thread on TOS. It didn't get much traction in all honesty. I do think they go hand and hand with pocket knives, so hopefully everyone is ok using this thread as the general EDC thread.

If not, I'll blind you, then stab you, then piss off.

Also, I apologize again if any of you are unaware of countycomm.com, because it's another problem site for EDC gadgets for me. Lot's of really cool one off stuff.

I have a LEP flashlight from them to be delivered Friday with a titanium wrench for good measure.

I seem to destroy adjustable wrenches faster than any other tool, so these are a bit pricey, but I'm hoping I this one will last: https://countycomm.com/collections/titanium-gear/products/adjustable-wrench-titanium-4-inch-nsn-pending

And for the flashlight, this will be my first LEP (Laser excited phosphate). Basically it's 100% throw, zero spill. Can spotlight something out to 1.2 miles. I only have 1 good thrower in my collection, so looking forward to this thing. Doubt it will be real useful, but it's basically a lightsaber.

https://countycomm.com/products/lep-dx-reach-laser-flashlight-by-maratac?_pos=3&_sid=84c7944d9&_ss=r

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m glad that I have the will to not spend over $200 on a knife so that I can buy a nice $100 knife and a couple of budget ones and still have spent that $200. Fuck my life.

Been there. Just buy the $200 knife my dude.

And since I'm home today, here is a current picture of my rotations.

image.thumb.jpeg.91964a63706e49f13fc067fce07c95f8.jpeg

Top: Sebenza 21 Wharny - Boker Burnley Mini Kwaiken - Vero Axon Mini - Mnandi - Graham Mini Razer - Rockwall Flipper

Bottom: Custom Auto Kit Knife - SpydieChef - Atlantic Salt - XM-18 3" Slicer - XM-18 3" Wharny - Rockwall Thumbstud

image.thumb.jpeg.4e3b68cc05a633aefed839c14e94c214.jpeg

Top: Mac's Tri-EDC Copper - Mac's Tri-EDC Aluminum - Emissar D4SV

Bottom: Maratac Copper Peanut -  Relight Mini-Pineapple - Relight Lan - Overready Moddular 2nd Gen - Overready Moddular 1st Gen - Maratac LEP - Thrunite Catapult

image.thumb.png.944ddf492c58315745652252f1fb240f.png

Maratac RA-3X Right angle Flood (can be used as flashlight or headlamp).

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

About seven years ago outside a gas station some homeless dude asked my to buy him some shit. All he had was this knife to give me. I took it thinking I’d just chuck it because…fucking mossy oak. But holy shit, to this day it’s the sharpest blade I own. Don’t know what it’s made of but damn did Mossy Oak nail this. Too big to be my edc but what a great fucking blade. 

IMG_0938.jpeg

About seven years ago outside a gas station some homeless dude asked my to buy him some shit. All he had was this knife to give me. I took it thinking I’d just chuck it because…fucking mossy oak. But holy shit, to this day it’s the sharpest blade I own. Don’t know what it’s made of but damn did Mossy Oak nail this. Too big to be my edc but what a great fucking blade. 
IMG_0938.thumb.jpeg.751d9549ef840f78d17ec24a12f1db51.jpeg

Tom Bihn Synapse bag in the back? I have the same.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/3/2023 at 11:23 AM, UnivTex34 said:

Also, I apologize for the flashlight distraction. We had a dedicated flashlight thread on TOS. It didn't get much traction in all honesty. I do think they go hand and hand with pocket knives, so hopefully everyone is ok using this thread as the general EDC thread.

If not, I'll blind you, then stab you, then piss off.

flashlight talk should stay in this thread 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, GottaB said:

Tom Bihn Synapse bag in the back? I have the same.

Of Course a knife guy is also a backpack nerd. Had a synapse for a bit, but the straps just never sat right on my shoulders. So got rid of it. We used a Parental Unit for our diaper bag for our kiddo, and the only tote bags I use at HEB are the Bihn Monster Trucks. GREAT totes. Great company as well. My daily carry backpack now rotates between three different Mystery Ranch bags. The Futura yoke system is a game changer for comfort. I'll give the same disclaimer I gave for the backpack game I gave for lights. Don't go down that road. Will cost you so much money. 

Edited by UnivTex34
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Of Course a knife guy is also a backpack nerd. Had a synapse for a bit, but the straps just never sat right on my shoulders. So got rid of it. We used a Parental Unit for our diaper bag for our kiddo, and the only tote bags I use at HEB are the Bihn Monster Trucks. GREAT totes. Great company as well. My daily carry backpack now rotates between three different Mystery Ranch bags. The Futura yoke system is a game changer for comfort. I'll give the same disclaimer I gave for the backpack game I gave for lights. Don't go down that road. Will cost you so much money. 

All of y’all are very good about letting me know about things I didn’t know I needed.

I guess admitting you have a problem is the first step.  Since the boating accident that claimed all my poor firearms, knives have moved up in status.  Good thing there’s not a flashlight thread

32FDE0BA-0875-443F-A36E-5D07771D10CA.thumb.jpeg.f9f76621225730283350327fecfe770d.jpeg

Part of the fixed collection

E6233B4B-6C52-4660-8C33-CC994EF3BF84.thumb.jpeg.7851fb4178d9238419ee22dd0c0e807b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Gonna have to watch what Tom Bihn the company does next. The founders sold to another company and they started rolling out X-Pac that TB the person said he would
Never do.

I have two Synapse and a medium Road Buddy but that’s it….for now.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:41 PM, PilotsError said:

IMG_0938.jpeg

Before college, I was welding and running some parts around Houston for a construction company.  One day, my 450k mile POS welding truck broke down just as I started a left turn thru an intersection, somewhere off in one of the wards.   Really, really rough area similar to where swayze is always taking his pics.  Anyhow, I’m trying to dial a coworker on my old ass Nokia and all of a sudden the truck starts moving.  I’m being pushed thru the intersection by a couple of the homeless/junkies that panhandle.  Anyhow they pushed me thru the intersection and down the street 100’ or so.   Then came to the window and demanded I pay them $20. I tossed them a 20, and one guy said, here, I need to get rid of this anyhow.  Tossed some gas station knife in the floorboard.  

I did not test it’s quality.  I kicked it onto the curb and eventually got that POS to start again.  I’m a little glad I gave up a $20 and didn’t test its blade in my gut. 

On 5/15/2023 at 3:41 PM, PilotsError said:

IMG_0938.jpeg

That knife is made by outdoor edge and has replaceable blades that are somewhat in the nature of a surgical scalpel.

Can get more blades here.  https://www.outdooredge.com/collections/replacement-blades

3 hours ago, GottaB said:

Gonna have to watch what Tom Bihn the company does next. The founders sold to another company and they started rolling out X-Pac that TB the person said he would
Never do.

I have two Synapse and a medium Road Buddy but that’s it….for now.

True. as I’m a mystery ranch guy, im less concerned. I’m also a huge X-PAC guy, so I don’t get the concern. I prefer it to the Halcyon fabric of my parental Unit. But im a bag nerd. All 3 of my MR bags are X-PAC, with one being 80% Dyneema. I love the durability and waterproofness of X-PAC.

9 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

image.gif.d15f3f90c0dfc80cd22bd560fa59a613.gif

How do you like it?

So far so good.  Only needed about 15 min charge out of the box.  Now I need to figure out if I need to use the customization.

Build quality seems solid.