Whirlpool water heater repair questions

Water heater died yesterday, it's less than 10 years old.  The pilot light won't re ignite . Tank's fine, so it's either the pilot assembly (which they make a water heater tune up kit replacement part for $55) or the main gas control valve thermostat is bad ($150 replacement part).

The question is, how do you know which part is bad ?  Do you just do the process of elimination thing, and spend the $55 for the tune up kit, and hope that works before spending $150+ for the much more expensive control valve ??  Seems like the plan.

$1400 installed from Lowe’s is what I paid 5 years ago. Austin is about $500 more than normal if you have gas because the city requires an extra excess flow valve.

This is correct. Replaced a 10 yo water heater last week. 2k including COA flow valve.

Same symptoms as outlined above. New gas assembly was 1k with labor and no guarantee that would fix the issue.

• 5 months later...

Our 15 year old 50 gallon natural gas water heater just pooped out over the weekend.

looked at some Rheem 40-50 gallon units for around $500- $600 at HD. Their contractor just came by and gave me an estimate of $2,437 to install a 40 gallon tank Included), replacing all the copper tubing, installing a pan w/ new dripline to the outside.

The 15 year old 50 gallon tank was $900 installed. Gottdamn..

Have another estimate guy from Christianson (original installer) coming out monday 

Edited by Armybrat

WTF?  

That's crazy.  I installed one a couple of weeks back here at the house.  I replaced the valve at the cold "in" line, new braided steel supply lines, bracing (earthquake required in CA), new gas valve and gas line, and TP valve piping.  I was done in 90 mins or so.    

Is there something particularly exotic about your setup?

Guy across the street is a super cool Egyption dude.  Great neighbor, but not handy at all.  One evening he calls me and says please come over right away.  His WH tank ruptured and he didn't know how  to shut the supply off.   I get over there; the WH is in the garage, but it's on a shelf ABOVE the fucking washer and dryer. The bottom of the WH is about 5' off the ground. 

I climbed up and found the shutoff, but there's no fucking way I was gonna offer to do the swap for him.  If it were a normal deal, I would have done so. 

He called a plumber, and the plumber called another guy for help. 

Goofiest shit I've ever seen. 

I have some gotdamn American Standard, there's no standard thermocouple, it's a big fucking assembly requiring a gas connection.  I aint fucking with that.  Fuck them right in their ass.

Do tankless last 10+ years?

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Guy across the street is a super cool Egyption dude.  Great neighbor, but not handy at all.  One evening he calls me and says please come over right away.  His WH tank ruptured and he didn't know how  to shut the supply off.   I get over there; the WH is in the garage, but it's on a shelf ABOVE the fucking washer and dryer. The bottom of the WH is about 5' off the ground. 

I climbed up and found the shutoff, but there's no fucking way I was gonna offer to do the swap for him.  If it were a normal deal, I would have done so. 

Never been to Louisiana huh

58 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have some gotdamn American Standard, there's no standard thermocouple, it's a big fucking assembly requiring a gas connection.  I aint fucking with that.  Fuck them right in their ass.

Do tankless last 10+ years?

It's fairly new tech.  I'd imagine the jury is still out on that. 

Not necessarily, but seeing goofy shit is.

Hey since we're on the subject, anyone had good luck using an electric heater to heat just one bath, like a master bath for example?  I'd really like to take a 20 minute shower someday at home if I feel like shit and not lose hot water for once.  

Edited by mulletpelini
hot water shit

Our 15 year old 50 gallon natural gas water heater just pooped out over the weekend.
looked at some Rheem 40-50 gallon units for around $500- $600 at HD. Their contractor just came by and gave me an estimate of $2,437 to install a 40 gallon tank Included), replacing all the copper tubing, installing a pan w/ new dripline to the outside.
The 15 year old 50 gallon tank was $900 installed. Gottdamn..
Have another estimate guy from Christianson (original installer) coming out monday 

It should be less than $2k especially if easy access. I got a quote for $1.7k a couple of years ago and my tank is in the attic.

9 minutes ago, William_Cannon said:

It should be less than $2k especially if easy access. I got a quote for $1.7k a couple of years ago and my tank is in the attic.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d00519d4f45347a67

Seriously?    Brat says "500-600.  Let's call it 600

When I did mine, I spent another 120 on the valve, supply lines, some copper, straps, etc..  

So fuck, let's call it 750 all-in for materials. 

So, over 1200 for installation?   Fuck,  I can fly to Austin and do the job for less than that.  600/hr for labor?  
It's not that fucking hard people. 

We spent about $900 about 5 years ago (maybe it was 7 years ago).  At the time, we were told that prices on the water heater itself were about to go up due to new requirements aimed at making them last longer.  Since we got one of the kind apparently not built to last, I'm hoping against hope for 10 years.

Edited by dcbc

Seriously?    Brat says "500-600.  Let's call it 600
When I did mine, I spent another 120 on the valve, supply lines, some copper, straps, etc..  
So fuck, let's call it 750 all-in for materials. 
So, over 1200 for installation?   Fuck,  I can fly to Austin and do the job for less than that.  600/hr for labor?  
It's not that fucking hard people. 

I should have been a plumber. Replace 2 water heaters a day and make about $500K/yr.

Yeah, it is in a closet in the corner of our garage. And maybe I look like a sucker?
if it’s in a closet and they can fit it through the door, they’re fucking you dry. I mean, at your age, that’s gonna happen anyway, but they’re not offering lube.

Did you tell that story on the old site? Or did someone have a similar story?