2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

8 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

5 time WDC!!!

Go Lewis!!

Happy to see Max win. Daniel and Fred have got to be going insane.

Actually Fred seemed pretty chipper after the race, all things considered. I've been amazed at his ability to stay so positive through all of this crap.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, I won't say Fred has checked out, but I'm sure he's not overly bothered by things that happen at his almost-former employer these days.

And jfc Ricciardo's luck, man.

Max avoided crashing anyone out of the race so good for him, I guess.  

Yeah it's strange how luck seems to always follow the favored driver at RBR.

I strongly suggest these two Dieter Rencken articles, if you haven't read them already. Not a pretty picture for anyone wanting meaningful change in F1. In this order ...

Toyota, the collapse of CART and a vital lesson for Formula 1 https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/24/toyota-the-collapse-of-cart-and-a-vital-lesson-for-formula-1/

Why F1's playing field is unlikely to be levelled in 2021 https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/31/why-f1s-playing-field-is-unlikely-to-be-levelled-in-2021/

4 minutes ago, wood said:

I strongly suggest these two Dieter Rencken articles, if you haven't read them already. Not a pretty picture for anyone wanting meaningful change in F1. In this order ...

Toyota, the collapse of CART and a vital lesson for Formula 1 https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/24/toyota-the-collapse-of-cart-and-a-vital-lesson-for-formula-1/

Why F1's playing field is unlikely to be levelled in 2021 https://www.racefans.net/2018/10/31/why-f1s-playing-field-is-unlikely-to-be-levelled-in-2021/

Might want to try those HTML links again.

I haven't been paying attention, how many times this season have the Renault works cars just... you know... sort of... stopped on the track?  Like keeps happening to Ricciardo?  'Cause I don't recall it happening much, but then again, I haven't been paying the most attention because... well... Renault.

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

lol.  Vietnam added to F1 calendar.  Big population sure, but they dont exactly have the highest spending power....

Yeah, this is happening & will be announced officially early next week. Liberty needs a 'win', and with Miami not panning out so far they haven't done shit, really. And just like Bernie, they're huge whores and will go anywhere a government will shell out big bucks for 'em, like here.

19 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Lewis did nothing wrong. Hot headed Williams passing for no reason on the wrong side. Respect the champion. emoji16.png

Not sure if serious, but just in case ... SIR had nowhere else to go. He couldn't pass him on the outside before Lewis cut over. And he wasn't on a hot lap, but he was on his out lap coming off the last corner and up the hill into his hot lap, full throttle, like they do most of the time on their out lap. And then there's the thing with Kimi, blocking him on the racing line when Kimi was on a hot lap, and all the weaving, checking and shit down the front straight ... and not even an investigation?

We see people get penalized for less all the time.

(and if you weren't being serious ... then ...  never mind)

Edited by wood

Not serious, but am a Hamilton fan. Looked like he was not watching because he wasn’t on a hot lap and no one behind him was either and then freaked when Sir came up on him...

The Kimi thing was strange. Hamilton said he didn’t know which way Kimi was going. In that case shouldn’t you just hold your line??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Not serious, but am a Hamilton fan. Looked like he was not watching because he wasn’t on a hot lap and no one behind him was either and then freaked when Sir came up on him...

The Kimi thing was strange. Hamilton said he didn’t know which way Kimi was going. In that case shouldn’t you just hold your line??

Yeah the Kimi thing was arguably the worse of the two. I was amazed at no real penalty for either guy. FIA is a joke. Sooo inconsistent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Obviously Ocon deserved the penalty, but it was cool to see Lewis giving Max some advice in the cool down room, telling him “you had much more to lose than he did”.

I think Max probably just thought he was clear of Ocon just like when you lap anyone else. Max didn't do anything there that we don't see 1000 times a season.

I think Max probably just thought he was clear of Ocon just like when you lap anyone else. Max didn't do anything there that we don't see 1000 times a season.

He wasn’t lapping him, Ocon was attempting an overtake to un-lap himself, which he has the right to do, as Lewis also told Max. 2008 Lewis would’ve done what Max did here, 2018 Lewis wouldn’t have, which is why it was cool to see him say that.

This is an interesting one:

618ea34f303c8cbbf49ccbcd02e2c184.jpg

Might have been Max being Max, but almost anyone in the grid would have done the same thing there in Max's shoes (on the track). I like Ocon, and he has a right to unlap himself, but that was fucking stupid, which is why he got a penalty. Like Brundle said, he probably would have gotten the penalty there even if was just trying to pass for position.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1