2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

This is my first season watching F1 and I love it so far. Currently watching qualifying. My question from last week is do you think Verstappen would have finished better if he would have stayed with the soft tires with less than 15 laps to go without pitting? Or would they have given out at some point. It seemed like a risk worth taking, but I'm a noob.

• Fuck You 1

This is my first season watching F1 and I love it so far. Currently watching qualifying. My question from last week is do you think Verstappen would have finished better if he would have stayed with the soft tires with less than 15 laps to go without pitting? Or would they have given out at some point. It seemed like a risk worth taking, but I'm a noob.

You have to use two compounds of tire in the race. So if he didn’t pit he’d be DQ’d.

17 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I love how they have completely shit the bed. I love how machine like Merc is. This season has been fun.

I feel bad for Ricardo. I really think He’s basically being used to test stuff for next year.

Funny how his season went completely to shit right after he announced he was leaving RBR.

• Like 1

image.gif

Weave, weave, weave ...CHOP.

Not anything I and others haven't already said many times about KMag, but the guy is an absolute menace. Absolutely crazy, dirty AF move. Unreal. And it's not as if this bullshit is new for him.  I'll probably have to say it again since no officials seem interested in putting the guy in check: KMag will kill someone or himself if he's not gotten under control.

And yeah, Vettel is turrible, and stoopid. Ferrari can not in any way be happy with what they're seeing from him. It's beyond comical now.

Vettel put the blame squarely on VER for the clash at Spoon, which is complete nonsense. It was a very late lunge by Vettel when VER had already committed to his line. No way that was gonna work. Typical Vettel though. Nothing is ever his fault.

18 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

That move was total BS.  I don't recall, did he get a penalty for it?

Nope. Charlie said that according to the video they moved at the same time. I hear Charlie is a really good guy, but damn. This kinda shit really makes F1 look bad.

I also think they based their decision on the outcome rather than the infraction, the way they seemed to do with Vettel at Spoon, which is also bullshit. Start clamping down on this shit, and people will change their behavior. Let it go, and this is what you end up with. Itt's like the track limits nonsense, where they only penalize if they deem an advantage to have been gained. It's complete nonsense.

Edited by wood

1st incident with Max looked like all Max to me, the stewards were correct and the announcing crew was a little puzzling in their assertions that it might be 50/50.

2nd incident with Max looked like it was about 95% Vettel to me, and I felt like he should have been penalized.

Anyway, I guess we'll get to see Lewis crowned in Austin.  Whatever. 

Not sure about parking,  We've been in RV parking for the past 4 years in Lot N, and before that we always had Lot H for our Turn15 seats, and entered at the Grand Plaza.

As far as going on Friday, I highly recommend it.  It's my favorite day of the weekend, since it's so much less crowded.  

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

i'm tempted to go on friday for the first time. i'm GA so i have to go to the front gates to get the bracelet. what's my best option for parking?

Friday is the best day, unless it rains and everyone sits in the garage.  You already have GA tickets? When you say front gate, I assume you mean the Grand Plaza entrance out by T12-15. They used to call the Main Grandstand area the front. Don't go to the ticket office there. They are absolutely useless over there. Go to the Grand Plaza. 

As for parking, there's tons of locals that will sell you a spot for considerably less than COTA charges, and a lot of them provide shuttle service as well. They'll take you to the vehicle dropoff location and give you a number to call so they can come pick you up when you're ready to go. There's also the Downtown shuttle for $50 to the Grand Plaza or $15 out to the McAngus drop point. No word on the Expo Center shuttle this year. My neighbor across the street works there and says even they still haven't heard from COTA about it, even though COTA has paid already to use the lot. 

13 minutes ago, wood said:

Friday is the best day, unless it rains and everyone sits in the garage.  You already have GA tickets? When you say front gate, I assume you mean the Grand Plaza entrance out by T12-15. They used to call the Main Grandstand area the front. Don't go to the ticket office there. They are absolutely useless over there. Go to the Grand Plaza. 

when i say front i mean the entrance between 15 and 19.  so, yeah, grand plaza, not main grandstand.

for race days last year we used the expo center for the first time.  it was much faster to park and get on a bus there than we've ever had downtown, also much faster getting away than when we used to park on the east side of the track and have to drive out to bastrop before being able to U-turn and sit in traffic for 3 hours headed back to austin.  i suppose expo is open for friday if they do it, but i'll most likely be driving in from houston that morning and i'd rather be on-site. 

Edited by elfenix

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:

when i say front i mean the entrance between 15 and 19.  so, yeah, grand plaza, not main grandstand.

for race days last year we used the expo center for the first time.  it was much faster to park and get on a bus there than we've ever had downtown, also much faster getting away than when we used to park on the east side of the track and have to drive out to bastrop before being able to U-turn and sit in traffic for 3 hours headed back to austin.  i suppose expo is open for friday if they do it, but i'll most likely be driving in from houston that morning and i'd rather be on-site. 

Yeah everything I've heard about the Expo Shuttle is that it was great. So it naturally follows that they would just drop it. Still can't find anything on the COTA site about it.

Oh, this is so brilliant if true. From the Autosport forum...

According to AMuS, the word from Spain is Alonso has secured the IndyCar TV rights for Spain.

And if Alonso is smart, he knows he can distribute those rights to a TV network at the highest price if he's racing himself.

Man I love Fred.  Gonna miss him in F1, but seeing him driving Indycar would be at least some consolation. 

I haven't heard anything about Fan Fest. It never really worked out for me to attend any of it anyway, having to take care of all of the kids' activities any time I wasn't actually out at the track.  Fall is a crazy time, I'd love to have a Spring slot on the Calendar, honestly.

Yeah I'm really gonna miss Fred in F1 too. I've never been a fan of an F1 without him playing a big part. His performances against Schumi are what got me hooked on the sport. But it'll be very interesting seeing what he does next.

Also related to Fred ... this is good. Long and sometimes hard to understand, but good.

https://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/f1-team-principal-budget-cap-would-help-us-save-ourselves-ourselves?utm_source=DailyDrive20181011&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

The first thing to know about the Formula 1 budget cap is that it’s a work in progress.

People in F1 aren’t talking about it. Ask a Liberty Media official and you’re stonewalled. Formula 1 is a listed company, and officials are careful what they say to avoid any claims they are trying to manipulate the share price. Ask around the F1 paddock and you get different answers. However, the idea that Ford Motor Co.’s Richard Parry-Jones first raised back in 2004, amid much laughter, is gaining traction.

Everyone, it seems, agrees that F1 costs need to be controlled, but officials would rather talk about a future night race planned for Las Vegas than discuss team budgets.

In 2004, it made sense for a manufacturer to talk about limiting F1’s budget. Grand Prix racing was expensive then. It’s more expensive now, and money is a bigger weapon than ever. The more money you have, the more competitive you can be—if you know how to spend it. 

One thing is clear, though few say it out loud: The planned cap is $150 million a year. There are reports about gradually easing in a cap, with a hard cap in 2021. Others say the manufacturers have successfully kicked the can to 2023.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/f1-team-principal-budget-cap-would-help-us-save-ourselves-ourselves#ixzz5TeOIfFVL