2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

Oh, fyi ... draft 2019 calendar finally released. Austin moved 2 weeks later, to Nov 3.

2019 F1 draft calendar:

March 17 - Australia, Melbourne

March 31 - Bahrain, Sakhir

April 14 - China, Shanghai

April 28 - Azerbaijan, Baku

May 12 - Spain, Barcelona

May 26 - Monaco, Monaco

June 9 - Canada, Montreal

June 23 - France, Le Castellet

June 30 - Austria, Spielberg

July 14 - Great Britain, Silverstone

July 28 - Germany, Hockenheim

August 4 - Hungary, Budapest

September 1 - Belgium, Spa

September 8 - Italy, Monza

September 22 - Singapore, Singapore

September 29 - Russia, Sochi

October 13 - Japan, Suzuka

October 27 - Mexico, Mexico City

November 3 - USA, Austin

November 17 - Brazil, Sao Paolo

December 1 - Abu Dhabi, Yas Marina

2 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:
6 hours ago, wood said:
Anyone else not get FP2 recorded?
Fucking listings problem again. They listed FP2 as FP1, so it didn't record. How can this be so difficult?

Mine recorded... And damn. Just saw the ERI crash in FP2. Yikes!

Yep. Gnarly. I counted 4 rolls.

14 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:
18 minutes ago, wood said:
Yep. Gnarly. I counted 4 rolls.

And the Halo getting scuffed up... That's 2 "proofs" now in as many race weekends.

Yeah I wasn't a big halo fan, but it's already proven its worth imho.  Sky spent a lot of time & energy in FP1 on some twitter claims that Fernando's wheel would not have hit LEC. That may or may not be true, and I guess we'll never know, but I think many are missing the point that regardless of whether that wheel was on track to hit LEC's head, it was definitely gonna be close, and the halo removed the possibility of it doing so. 

I really thought they would look awful, but they don't really look that bad imho on the cars who use paint intelligently to de-emphasize them the best. They don't look great when they stand out, like with the Williams, but when they're hidden well, they aren't too annoying.

And BTW...

Edited by wood

Some people reasoned that the reason Kimi pitted so early, before Hamilton did, while they were 1-2 in the race standing, is because Ferrari feared a Hamilton undercut.

How would that have worked exactly?  If Hamilton pitted first, he wouldve come out 4-5-6 or so in traffic.  Kimi had clean air to push or maintain his virtual margin for 1-3 laptops, then pit and rejoin ahead of Hamilton.  With fresher tires.

Where was the opportunity for undercut?  I thought the reason Ferrari called for pit was because they fell for the Mercedes fake.  (Assuming Mercedes wouldve actually pitted, both of them going in together virtually guaranteed same 1-2 relative position)

Some people reasoned that the reason Kimi pitted so early, before Hamilton did, while they were 1-2 in the race standing, is because Ferrari feared a Hamilton undercut.

How would that have worked exactly?  If Hamilton pitted first, he wouldve come out 4-5-6 or so in traffic.  Kimi had clean air to push or maintain his virtual margin for 1-3 laptops, then pit and rejoin ahead of Hamilton.  With fresher tires.

Where was the opportunity for undercut?  I thought the reason Ferrari called for pit was because they fell for the Mercedes fake.  (Assuming Mercedes wouldve actually pitted, both of them going in together virtually guaranteed same 1-2 relative position)

Sure, but the undercut mostly works from pushing really hard on the in lap, then pitting and pushing super hard on the outlap. Your opponent can’t pit yet because they don’t you are pitting until they have already passed the pit entrance. They can push from then but they don’t get the same benefit of the outlap because they are working just to beat you onto the track from out of the pits. So, in essence you get 1.5-2 laps of pushing 100% over your opponent and you don’t have to worry about passing them on track. So, if you can make up the gap in those laps, you have a chance of passing them while they try to cover you.

In this case, Merc would have pit Lewis, but they told him to do the opposite of Ferrari, because they knew they still had pace in the tires.

Ferrari brought Kimi in, and Lewis continued. Since he still had such great pace, they converted his strategy to run a longer stint.

Lewis and Valtteri ended up running essentially the same strategy, but with Valtteri going just a little longer to try to assist Lewis a bit. However, Valtteri’s laps at that point were actually his personal bests, and they were on 30 lap old tires that he started the race on. People think it was just Valtteri backing up Kimi that helped Lewis win, but what really killed Kimi was having to push hard once he pit, because Hamilton’s pace on his old tires was still so good. This actually would have been a successful overcut if Kimi had not pushed so hard. These tires really benefit from a nice warmup before pushing them, but Kimi wasn’t able to do that, and ruined them pretty early. Once Lewis did pit, his times were a second a lap faster than Kimi.

If they had both pit and come out into traffic it wouldn’t have mattered as much, and honestly would have been better for Ferrari that way. They would have been on tires that were the same age, and Kimi would have still had track position on Lewis. Although Lewis might have been able to pass him anyway just because of their superior tire life/management.

Hamilton’s tire management is actually probably one of the best on the grid. He’s able to make tires last and still be super consistent with lap times and pull out speed when it’s required. Having a car that is able to do that certainly helps, but as we saw, Kimi and Seb both burned though theirs having to push basically the entire race. That wasn’t an issue with the Mercs, even following at less than a second behind.

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Sure, but the undercut mostly works from pushing really hard on the in lap, then pitting and pushing super hard on the outlap. Your opponent can’t pit yet because they don’t you are pitting until they have already passed the pit entrance. They can push from then but they don’t get the same benefit of the outlap because they are working just to beat you onto the track from out of the pits.

Maybe I'm thick - I still don't get it.

Lets say Mercedes did intend to pit Lewis.  And Ferrari doesn't know this at all.

Lewis drives hard and gets 0.100 behind Kimi.  Lewis pulls into the pit.

Ferrari radio Kimi and says "cover him".  

Kiki has the entire track ahead of him to go hard.  And unless #3,4,5 pitted, Lewis would've come out into traffic.  And Kimi would have built up a decent margin to make a safe stop.

I mean, the time span where one team/driver would have suffered an information asymmetry is a few actual seconds of racing.  (And you don't gain half a seconds Delta within a few seconds worth of racing)

Well, when Kimi stops he would still fight to beat Lewis on track out of the pit. Lewis has an outlap on brand new tires where Kimi would be on old ones and then in the pits.

If while on lap 24 Merc tell Lewis to box next lap, Lewis pushes 100% on lap 25. Ferrari will see the gap close somewhat but not necessarily know that Lewis is pitting. Lewis then enters the pit lane just before lap 26 would start. At this point, Ferrari sees it, and then radios to Kimi to box at the end of the lap, lap 26. So Kimi starts pushing but it’s not necessarily for a full lap. Maybe 75-90% of one. Lewis comes out of the pit on fresh tires and pushes 100% again for one lap to try to beat Kimi out of the pits. Kimi comes in at the end of lap 26, pits, and attempts to beat Lewis out of the pit.

So, in this scenario, Lewis has pushed 100% for 2 laps. Lap 25 on his old tires, and lap 26 on the new ones. Kimi has pushed 75–90% of one lap, lap 26, but on old tires. Nothing on new tires. So if the gap was 2 seconds before, and Lewis gains .4 on the inlap compared to Kimi since Kimi started his later, and say 1.5 seconds on the outlap, and Ferrari has a slightly slow stop that is say .2 slower than ideal, that means Lewis decreases the gap by 2.1, theoretically putting him ahead of Kimi on track, with tires that now have some more heat in them compared to Kimi which will make it hard to overtake him.

Traffic doesn’t matter here because both of them pit anyway. If one of them doesn’t, you have the situation that happened in the race, just with Kimi pitting first. Merc leaves Lewis out but his pace is still pretty much as good as Kimi’s on new tires. Kimi has to keep pushing just to cover Lewis off when he does pit. This part was successful, but he had taken so much out of his tires that he was able to be overtaken later on.

Make sense?

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Vettel out, Alonso decides against Indycar, back to Ferrari?

You never know ... You'd think they have to open their eyes re: Vettel eventually, and Alonso is the best driver on the market. Some people think it's actually already been in the works for weeks/months.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, wood said:

Of all the numerous problems plaguing F1, the weekend format isn't one of them. I really dunno where Ross Brawn, Liberty Media, etc, keep getting the idea that it needs fixing. #F1 

I don't think there are so many problems "plaguing" F1.  There are certainly some issues though, and I certainly agree that the weekend format doesn't need attention when there are other matters at hand.

On the one hand, I really don't want to see F1 become a spec league like Indycar.  But it's clear that even with recent changes to the regs to instill competition, it's still just too expensive for most teams to actually compete.  I'm not sure what the solution is, without becoming a spec league.  I have a friend that suggests allowing MORE cars per team and pushing out the poorest teams.  I don't think I'd like that,  but it would be one way to go I suppose.

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I don't think there are so many problems "plaguing" F1.  There are certainly some issues though, and I certainly agree that the weekend format doesn't need attention when there are other matters at hand.

On the one hand, I really don't want to see F1 become a spec league like Indycar.  But it's clear that even with recent changes to the regs to instill competition, it's still just too expensive for most teams to actually compete.  I'm not sure what the solution is, without becoming a spec league.  I have a friend that suggests allowing MORE cars per team and pushing out the poorest teams.  I don't think I'd like that,  but it would be one way to go I suppose.

start grid order reversed championship standing. 

more collisions = more spectacles!

• Like 1