2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

Google gave me a got-damn notification of the result. Right there between the Astros score and the weather in the notification tray. Fuck!

Yeah I was successfully avoiding all the German GP news for several days during my Mexico trip. Didn't think I'd get a spoiler in the title of an email, from F1 of all people ... but I did. FML.

Botas is the wingman at this point in the year. Bring home the constructors cup and help Hamilton win another drivers cup. He’s the second driver at this point. He is behind in points.

How about Gasley finishing 6 in a Honda power ToroRoso?? Kid had a good day and beat the Renault power McLaren.

I felt bad for Vandorn. He was running well.

14 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Botas is the wingman at this point in the year. Bring home the constructors cup and help Hamilton win another drivers cup. He’s the second driver at this point. He is behind in points.

How about Gasley finishing 6 in a Honda power ToroRoso?? Kid had a good day and beat the Renault power McLaren.

I felt bad for Vandorn. He was running well.

Bottas was always going to be Lewis's wingman and was never going to be anything more than a second driver. He's naive if he really believes otherwise. After the way Nico got under Lewis's skin, Mercedes only ever wanted someone to support Lewis and not make waves, not someone who can compete with him.

Re: STR v McLaren, STR had a good strategy & Gasly did have a very nice day. McLaren had a pretty nice day overall too, minus the gearbox failure for SV. STR can beat McLaren on some tracks, esp when the McLaren gearbox keeps breaking, but it's not because of Renault power sucking or Honda power being better. It's because the 33 is fundamentally compromised and flawed. Alonso said a couple days ago that they're spending 70% of their FP time now just testing 2019 stuff. Watching them in practice, I believe him.

Edited by wood

21 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Alonso has to be staying then. No way he’s just a test car driver for McLaren.

Yeah, that makes me wonder, too. I think if he's in F1 next year for any team, and I think he will be, it likely means he's in at least through 2021.

Daniel Ricciardo to Renault confirmed. 

Yeah, I dunno. It's possible they presented him with a road map to a championship a la Mercedes with Lewis. However, in 2012 Mercedes had already won in China and should have won Monaco so they were in a much better position. Change of scenery and a money offer he couldn't refuse might have been enough. I guess I'm a Renault fan now. 

• Like 1

AUGUST 3, 2018

Daniel Ricciardo is leaving Red Bull for Renault at the end of the 2018 Formula 1 season.

Red Bull announced the departure of Ricciardo and Renault announced its signing of Ricciardo in separate Friday announcements. The 29-year-old Australian joins Renault on a two-year contract and is more than familiar with the setup, having climbed the Formula Renault ladder on his journey to F1. Ricciardo has been racing with Renault power at Red Bull from 2014.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/daniel-ricciardo-bolting-red-bull-renault-f1-team#ixzz5N8WV8kGK

On 8/7/2018 at 12:42 PM, wood said:

Silly season indeed.  So I'm assuming Lance takes one of those seats, neither are signed right now I believe?  Which of the two stays, which goes?

Edited by utee94