2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

3 hours ago, wood said:

Pretty much the norm these days. F1 is effectively a 2-tier series, even though it doesn't want to admit it.

You can't win right now in anything but a Ferrari or Merc, or in a Red Bull when all hell breaks loose or at a high-downforce track. And with the new Merc engine upgrade, I'm not sure how competitive Ferrari will be from here on out this year, either.

New Merc engine looks like they finally got shit figured out. It's a two horse race yet again. 

On 6/24/2018 at 2:14 PM, Snacks said:
It looked like Ferrari had plenty of engine... Vettel and the other guy drove around everyone.... after Vettel went nuts in the first couple of turns.

This race was the most effective I've ever seen DRS be. Plenty of passes going down into the chicane.*  Vettel was taking full advantage of it, but the whole time he was falling further behind Hamilton.

Vettel's out there playing bumper cars.

*I still don't like DRS.  Too artificial, not very sporting.  

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I'd very much like to attend this Austrian Grand Prix. The location is just gorgeous.

Styria (where the GP is based) is what i always thought the UK would be.... just nonstop rolling green hills.  its dope.

Started this last night, kind of annoyed the commentators had no idea what the turn 3 incident with Kimi and Max was, since F1 replayed it a couple times. Also, from my vantage point at about midway through the race, it's shocking that Merc has no clue what to do when VSCs come out. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson earlier this year.

On 7/1/2018 at 8:20 AM, RamjetFDO said:

"Ambition ahead of adhesion", referring to Kimi trying some passing move before the tires get properly warmed up... Brilliant. Love the Sky coverage team!

On 7/1/2018 at 8:23 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

I've said it before but this broadcast is so much better than what we had before on Fox. 

Yeah there was a lot of bitching about the Sky guys at the beginning of the season, about their accents, etc, never mind that the NBC guys were 2 Brits and an Aussie.

Hardly hear a peep at all now. The Sky coverage, esp on Friday & Saturday and esp in pre- and post- qualy and race, is leaps and bounds better than NBC's.

1 minute ago, BlueGreySky said:

what's the feeling about him from f1 community re: next year? after he won at le mans, my buddy who works for indycar thinks it's all but a done deal not only that he'll run the 500 next year but also be in a full-time ride in the series.

It's all over the place. Some say he's gone, but they're generally the same people who have been saying that every year for several years. I think he probably stays in F1, likely with Renault. I also think that if he does stay, it could signal that he's gonna stay into the next PU formula. If he leaves though, I do think he'll do IndyCar and WEC full time and tryt to be the first ever F1/IndyCar/WEC champ  and the 2nd Triple Crown winner.

Well guess merc's terrible strategizing didn't matter. I'll take the blame after complaining that the cars are too reliable.

I think the confusion was that Turn 3 is a right hand corner and the Max/Kimi incident happened at a left hander. They acknowledged that the incident that was being replayed was the incident under investigation.

Kimi forced Max into the grass on turn 3 on lap 1. Then Bottas got by.

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

Well guess merc's terrible strategizing didn't matter. I'll take the blame after complaining that the cars are too reliable.

Kimi forced Max into the grass on turn 3 on lap 1. Then Bottas got by.

You're mistaken. Kimi went wide onto the asphalt after going too deep into 3 and rejoined the track next to Max but he didn't force him off. Bottas then passed Kimi because of his lost momentum out of 3.