2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

That was awesome, until it wasn't. Hate to see those laps click away under the Safety Car.

It looked like Vettel needed another 50 feet or so to make that pass attempt stick. But I think you have to give him credit for making the attempt. A bit of bad luck with the timing of the Safety Car, but that's the breaks. I wish, just for once, that Hamilton would suffer a puncture like the one that bit Bottas. Max is a jackass. That was terrible on his part. I would have loved to have seen that debrief.

Grosjean with a huge huge huge mistake.

A friend of mine is friends with Gunther Steiner and it would be interesting to hear what he had to say.

13 hours ago, Updawg said:

Fun race for sure. Been s good season so far. 

I've always thought gro sucks. This just reinforce s it

13 hours ago, utee94 said:

JFC.  French drivers.  What are you gonna do?

"I think Erickson hit us".

WTF????? Nobody was even close.

12 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Those dudes drinking too much Red Bull? That was wild. Crazy course. Also, how often is a guy crashing under yellow/safety car situation just trying to warm up his tires? Solid entertainment on this race.

They started a thread about it over on Autosport. There are actually quite a few over the years...

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/209545-crash-behind-safety-car/

I think this race shows once again a few things that result in a better show:

- LESS grip

- Tracks that punish drivers for mistakes

- Tracks that vary greatly in width. We see some of this here in Austin, but then people can always just hit the runoff (see above). Why will the FIA allow so little runoff on a street course in Baku that's strikingly as anachronistic as Monaco, while forcing the builders of new tracks like Austin to have huge runoffs everywhere you look? And look what they've done to the Peraltada at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in MxC and the Parabolica at Monza, among others. If we can have walls right on track's edge and massively long straights with itty bitty escape roads at the end of them, why can't we have grass alongside more open circuits like COTA and hordes of others?

- Grosjean randomly driving into things. OK, that didn't really help the overall show, except that it was funny. In a way it contributed to Vettel overcooking it and dropping to 4th, I guess, because he was forced to go for a move much more quickly than he otherwise would have.
Edited by wood

Honda officials have opened talks with Red Bull about supplying the former Formula 1 championship team with power units from 2019 onward.

Honda struggled for pace during the first three years of its Formula 1 comeback (2015-2017) while supplying units to the McLaren team. This season, Honda is supplying power to Red Bull junior team Toro Rosso for 2018.

Meanwhile, the Red Bull senior team is considering the Japanese manufacturer as an option for 2019, as Red Bull's current deal with Renault expires at the end of the season.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/honda-red-bull-f1-team-open-talks-2019-power#ixzz5ECYO2CRF

21 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Honda officials have opened talks with Red Bull about supplying the former Formula 1 championship team with power units from 2019 onward.

Honda struggled for pace during the first three years of its Formula 1 comeback (2015-2017) while supplying units to the McLaren team. This season, Honda is supplying power to Red Bull junior team Toro Rosso for 2018.

Meanwhile, the Red Bull senior team is considering the Japanese manufacturer as an option for 2019, as Red Bull's current deal with Renault expires at the end of the season.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/honda-red-bull-f1-team-open-talks-2019-power#ixzz5ECYO2CRF

Christian Horner just finding a fresh scapegoat to lay his blames

Why not Miami GP? Anyway, yeah, from what I've heard & read it looks pretty close to being done. Doubt it will bump COTA. Doubt it will help them any though, being in October, too.

Edited by wood

Tokengator82 (remember him?) posted this on Autosport. It's from a Miami City Commish...

DcTKxH3VQAAlNqI.jpg

it obviously isn't the final track, but this is where Miami is giving F1 the area they want them to work in. I am sure there will be some tweaks. 

both those bridges going over the bay are 3 full lanes with a shoulder section on the outsides...so there will be a lot of room on those straights, even after the additional barriers are installed. 

A fan's version was posted farther down...

dBrNDTV.jpg

Edited by wood

Not an ESPN fan at all, but unlike NBC, Speed, etc, they've managed to bring us ad-free coverage and live tv airing of all sessions in a short time. 

Now if they could just get the listings right across all providers. My listings are jacked up even for Spain. It just shows Qualifying and the race being shown on tv, but when the schedule for each GP comes out, I just set recordings for the corresponding times & ESPN channels. 

Spanish Grand Prix schedule (all times Eastern):

Friday, May 11 
Practice 1 - 4.55am-6.30am - ESPNU
Practice 2 - 8.55am-10.30am - ESPNU

Saturday, May 12 
Practice 3 - 5.55am-7.00am - ESPN2
Qualifying - 8.55am-10am - ESPN2

Sunday, May 13 
Qualifying (Encore) - 7.00am-8.30am - ESPN2

On The Grid - 8.30am-9.05am - ESPN2
Race - 9.05am-11am - ESPN2

Encore - 7.30pm-10pm - ESPN2
Encore - 10.pm-12.30am - ESPNEWS 

• Like 2

Wowlol. Crazy. These guys.

From theparcferme.com ...

https://theparcferme.com/f1-website-has-signup-for-f1-tv-pro-package/

I diligently purchased the package and it said that important details would be sent to my email address. I have to say, that email didn’t really have additional, important info other than I had purchased the product.

I posted the purchase on social media and spent the rest of the day trying to help many folks get their purchases made and answering basic questions like:

Why is there a dead link to nothing when I click the F1 TV link?
Where are all the historic races that I can watch?
Why is there no content?
How do you sign up, I see nothing on their website about it?
Will it be on demand as well as live?

You know, those basic questions. I spent the day helping friends of TPF get their purchases made and answering these questions based on my own hunches.

Why would you launch the signup page and yet have no content at least to get started?
Why would you not have an announcement on the F1 website if you were now ready to take orders?
Would the site be void of content until this coming Friday?

All good questions of which I have no official answers and, as it turns out, neither did F1.com. Many in the TPF community signed up for email alerts regarding the service but nothing has been sent out. No announcement that the signup page is active and we can now purchase the F1 TV Pro service.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/5/f1-vision-and-fanatics-deals-to-boost-your-race-experience.html

There was great news for F1 fans attending 2018 Grands Prix on Wednesday, with the announcement of two new Formula 1 initiatives that will make visiting races this season even better.

In the first, Formula 1 have partnered with FanVision Entertainment to create F1 Vision, the most immersive spectator technology, which allows Grand Prix attendees to dive deeper into the event experience with a state-of-the-art handheld device.

F1 Vision combines the Formula 1 race live broadcast and replay highlights, direct audio feeds allowing the user to listen to live driver and team communications, and the Grand Prix radio broadcast.  F1 Vision also taps directly into the Formula 1 timing system, providing fans with real-time race data and statistics.

The F1 Vision device is a compact and powerful handheld controller, featuring a five-inch high-resolution touchscreen display, rugged exterior, kickstand for hands-free viewing, and includes earbuds for listening comfort.

Its content is delivered via FanVision Entertainment’s dedicated digital transmitters, meaning the devices aren’t dependent upon venue WiFi. This technology ensures a consistently high-quality interaction with the F1 Vision device from any grandstand location at the Grand Prix.

I don't actually think it makes the halo look any worse.  Because nothing can possibly make the halo worse.  Just my opinion, obviously.

Also, 4 races in and it still hasn't "grown" on me so I suspect it never will. If anything, I loathe it more each and every time I see it.

f the halo

• Like 1