2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

Isn’t the money much better for a driver in F1 over Indy? I just figured that the payday was not even close.

For the drivers that do get paid, absolutely.

Mercedes could field 3-4 full season cars and drivers for what they pay Hamilton alone.

A top Indy driver makes a few million.

Right. For the drivers getting paid by a team, the money is huge. But for many drivers across all series, they're getting paid by their sponsors & their sponsors are bringing money to the team to have their driver in there and their logo on the car. Now, if Rossi's sponsors, say NAPA, etc, suddenly decided they needed him in F1, then that might be another avenue for it to happen...

Edited by wood

Right. For the drivers getting paid by a team, the money is huge. But for many drivers across all series, they're getting paid by their sponsors & their sponsors are bringing money to the team to have their driver in there and their logo on the car. Now, if Rossi's sponsors, say NAPA, etc, suddenly decided they needed him in F1, then that might be another avenue for it to happen...

Makes sense.

At the old place several years ago, one of you boneheads argued with me when I lamented the Haas hiring of Grosjean.  I don't remember who, but I hope you're ashamed of yourself! 

Now to be fair, your argument was that Grosjean up to that point was an experienced and decent enough driver, who could provide valuable feedback to the team, so they could do a lot worse.  And I'm pretty sure my sole argument was that he was a French crasher like Jean Alesi.

But it turns out, my argument was valid enough.  So take THAT, whoever you were. :)

28 minutes ago, utee94 said:

At the old place several years ago, one of you boneheads argued with me when I lamented the Haas hiring of Grosjean.  I don't remember who, but I hope you're ashamed of yourself! 

Now to be fair, your argument was that Grosjean up to that point was an experienced and decent enough driver, who could provide valuable feedback to the team, so they could do a lot worse.  And I'm pretty sure my sole argument was that he was a French crasher like Jean Alesi.

But it turns out, my argument was valid enough.  So take THAT, whoever you were. :)

Yeah I never got the logic of that signing or why some, including Grosjean iirc, actually believed it was a stepping stone to Ferrari  lol.

Thing is, whichever one of you bastages argued with me, actually convinced me to abandon my disdain for French crashers like Jean Alesi and I ultimately agreed that Grosjean could be a decent hire for Haas.

So congratulations on winning that battle, but the French crashers are always going to win the war.  Or rather lose the war. You know, because they're French.

I'm sure everyone knows, but just in case, here's my annual reminder that the Monaco Grand Prix schedule is a little different.  FP1 and FP2 are on Thursday, there's no on-track action on Friday, and then the normal schedule resumes with FP3 and Qualy on Saturday, and the race on Sunday.

I'll just add, this is my absolutely favorite race on the schedule every year.  To me, it's like the TX-OU of auto-racing.  And with both Ferrari and Red Bull looking pretty racy, I'm really looking forward to it this year!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, skipperj said:

Why do they do it on Thursday?  Party purposes?

Friday is a bank holiday there & they like to have the streets open more that day to allow for more movement around the city. There is still some running that day tho...

The greatest F1 driver ever...

fangio34Alfa.jpg

Winning Monaco the first time he raced it... at the young age of 38.

(Unfortunately it wasn't run 3 of the following 4 years after his first win, so he couldn't win again until...)

tumblr_mz187sOpjj1qapwfro1_1280.jpg

Winning it again at the age of 45.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2

A four hour race. What is this...NASCAR?

Speaking of this, did anyone else get the F1 survey? It was emailed. I saw it this morning.

They asked about formats of FP, Q, and the race, and asked about a sprint race too. They asked about time and number of sessions for all of them.

Example:

79353fecb7cda0244ff35901951b3687.jpg

Unfortunately, I did not receive the survey. Lots of angst on reddit about some of the wording and options for response. I think Liberty should probably worry about getting exposure and optics on the sport in its current state right before they worry about changing the DNA. 

https://streamable.com/hb3g8

Great perspective of the acceleration out of the chicane and the ball you have to have heading toward Tabac. 

10 hours ago, crackamacgowski said:

Unfortunately, I did not receive the survey. Lots of angst on reddit about some of the wording and options for response. I think Liberty should probably worry about getting exposure and optics on the sport in its current state right before they worry about changing the DNA. 

https://streamable.com/hb3g8

Great perspective of the acceleration out of the chicane and the ball you have to have heading toward Tabac. 

Yeah MB was getting some great trackside, like the one on the swimming pool entry...