2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

2 minutes ago, Yankee said:

On paddock pass it made it sound like miscommunication played a part in the STR crash. Apparently there was a team communication that they were going to switch positions due to different strategies, and Gasly thought Hartley was gonna let him through. But without the crash and subsequent safety car wouldn’t have been as interesting a race imo.

Some people have a bit of a conspiracy theory going about that. You can figure it out. I doubt it happened, but then again if I found out it were true, it wouldn't surprise me either.

28 minutes ago, wood said:

Fantastic team effort all weekend by Red Bull Racing, and wow Ricciardo. Say what you want about these guys, but I really dig the way they work.  I loved what one of the Sky guys said about pitting on the SC (can't remember who it was), that RBR is a racing team and just made the call on the fly while the other guys waited for their engineers to tell 'em what to do, and there just wasn't time for that.

And another race, another awesome effort by Alonso, finishing P7 despite bad timing of the SC right after he pitted. Really wanna see him in a top car again. Gasly wtf? Shut the door? There was never a gap. Poor Kimi, reduced to mobile roadblock for Vettel.

Agree, but that also made his podium finish so rewarding.  Just wish he had been able to mount a better threat against Bottas in the closing laps.

Oh, the other WTF moment was Max.  No, just... no.  That wasn't a legitimate racing move, but it certainly was a typical Max move.  As goofyboy said above, he's just GOT to learn some patience as part of his racecraft.  It's possible and even likely that with his tire situation, he would have gotten around Seb anyway and the RBRs could have finished 1-2.  I had high hopes for Max but right now his screwups are becoming the rule rather than the exception.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Agree, but that also made his podium finish so rewarding.  Just wish he had been able to mount a better threat against Bottas in the closing laps.

Oh, the other WTF moment was Max.  No, just... no.  That wasn't a legitimate racing move, but it certainly was a typical Max move.  As goofyboy said above, he's just GOT to learn some patience as part of his racecraft.  It's possible and even likely that with his tire situation, he would have gotten around Seb anyway and the RBRs could have finished 1-2.  I had high hopes for Max but right now his screwups are becoming the rule rather than the exception.

He definitely should have been more patient and likely woulda had him later, but as the Sky guys were saying (can't remember who, again ... Brundle & Nico?) I can see why he went for it. Vettel was struggling on those tires and went way wide, so there was a gap. Max just misjudged it and came from too far back, carried too much speed, and locked up. Judging from his comments after the race, he did definitely seem to understand his mistake. I think he'll be fine. He's learning. Once he gets a real command of when & where to try some of these moves, and when to hold off, he'll be pretty amazing imho.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wood said:

He definitely should have been more patient and likely woulda had him later, but as the Sky guys were saying (can't remember who, again ... Brundle & Nico?) I can see why he went for it. Vettel was struggling on those tires and went way wide, so there was a gap. Max just misjudged it and came from too far back, carried too much speed, and locked up. Judging from his comments after the race, he did definitely seem to understand his mistake. I think he'll be fine. He's learning. Once he gets a real command of when & where to try some of these moves, and when to hold off, he'll be pretty amazing imho.

I guess I HOPE he's learning from it?  But he wasn't clean with his attempt on Lewis either.

I thought it was funny they made some initial comments on whether or not Seb left him room.  I mean, there was a TON of room.  Ricciardo could have driven a double-decker London bus through that opening and had plenty of room to spare.  That there was THAT much room, and Max still plowed into him, just shows you how ill conceived that move was.

Anyway, I hope Max is learning.  He's certainly not the "safe guy" but he's also not the "winning" guy, not with moves like that.  Like The Guy Under The Seats, I'll be always watching.  Watching and waiting... ;)

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Only my second season to watch the F1 races but definitely the most exciting race I’ve seen so far. Haven’t decided who to root for or against just yet but open to any suggestions with supporting commentary.

Are you a tittybaby? An overly sensitive emo type who thinks Cam Newton's fashion sense is too subdued? Then Lewis is your guy. 

That was an outstanding race. 

Very impressive by red bull. That second stacked pit was the move of the day

Max should learn from this especially since his mistake likely cost him the win. Glad for Ric though

These races are so much better without commercials. Who knows what we would have missed during the commercial days. Thank you mother's. I'll buy some of your products for sure. 

6 hours ago, wood said:

Some people have a bit of a conspiracy theory going about that. You can figure it out. I doubt it happened, but then again if I found out it were true, it wouldn't surprise me either.

It definitely crossed my mind. I don't think so though

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

Very impressive by red bull. That second stacked pit was the move of the day

Max should learn from this especially since his mistake likely cost him the win. Glad for Ric though

These races are so much better without commercials. Who knows what we would have missed during the commercial days. Thank you mother's. I'll buy some of your products for sure. 

Yep. Until I started watching the Sky broadcasts a couple of years ago, I didn't realize just how much we were missing on NBC. It's unreal. 

That race weekend was almost perfect. Ferrari over Merc in qualifying, Botas over Hamilton, mouhahaha. The race even more perfect. Ferrari gonna Ferrari and get out strategized. Verstappen no longer the golden boy rookie, it's year 3, the he's young BS is over. He's reckless. Ricciardo's final stint was sooooo good. Love having Brundle talk about weight transfer when you turn into the corner causing wheel lock and stuff like that instead of whatever inane stuff any other talking head would be babbling.

So where does he go next year? The talk is Ferrari but does Vettel really want to get upended AGAIN? Mercedes? Be #2 for a year or so and then maybe take over for Hamilton? Is he a #1 driver? Red Bull seems all in on Verstappen so don't see him staying there.

Let's give a hand to the driver of the race, not Ricciardo, but Pierre Gasly.  Without him plowing into his teammate there is no safety car.  Without a safety car this race would have been a turd.  Maybe the solution to having good F1 races is to make every car start on randomly worn tires.

18 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Only my second season to watch the F1 races but definitely the most exciting race I’ve seen so far. Haven’t decided who to root for or against just yet but open to any suggestions with supporting commentary.

Fuck Hamilton, Ricciardo is the man to follow, he will end up at Ferrari or Merc soo and kick ass even more 

Let's give a hand to the driver of the race, not Ricciardo, but Pierre Gasly.  Without him plowing into his teammate there is no safety car.  Without a safety car this race would have been a turd.  Maybe the solution to having good F1 races is to make every car start on randomly worn tires.

Hell, yes.

I think there's a bit of an overreaction to Verstappen. He's pulled off wonder moves in the past and of course he was celebrated for them. The move at turn 6 didn't come off but it wasn't exactly all or nothing either. The move at the end of the straight was stupid but even Vettel was understanding. It's not like the kid is running into people every chance he got like a young Grosjean or Kvyat. His pace over one lap is frightening and his racecraft is actually very strong. He will be a champion, and soon. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, crackamacgowski said:

I think there's a bit of an overreaction to Verstappen. He's pulled off wonder moves in the past and of course he was celebrated for them. The move at turn 6 didn't come off but it wasn't exactly all or nothing either. The move at the end of the straight was stupid but even Vettel was understanding. It's not like the kid is running into people every chance he got like a young Grosjean or Kvyat. His pace over one lap is frightening and his racecraft is actually very strong. He will be a champion, and soon. 

Agreed. The move where he hit Vettel, yeah he fucked it up, coming from too far back & then overcooking it. But I get why he made the move. Vettel went wide for whatever reason (Vettel says he went wide on purpose), so it was makeable. He just didn't make it. It was really no more of a longshot imho than RIC's move on Bottas. The only reason that didn't end in tears is because Bottas had the great reflexes to avoid the collision. And Ricciardo was celebrated for that move by everyone, including me.

I remember Lauda back in 2011 talking about how Lewis needed to be reigned in or he was "going to kill someone" in his fifth year. Guess he turned out ok tho.

1 hour ago, crackamacgowski said:

AMuS is reporting the teams have agreed no MGU-H in 2021. 

Yep, ie Ferrari & Mercedes finally gave in. 

There's also talk of relaxing engine limits, scrapping the fuel flow limit, & more.

https://www.racefans.net/2018/04/17/2021-f1-engines-no-fuel-flow-limit-higher-rev-limit-plans-spectacular/

Formula 1 is pushing ahead with efforts to improve passing on the racetrack.

Following the season-opening F1 Australian Grand Prix, the lack of passing in Formula 1 again became a hot topic. The races in Bahrain and China were better. At the same time, it emerges that the strategy group this week discussed potential aerodynamic changes to the 2019 cars that might make overtaking easier.

The FIA confirmed after the meeting involving teams, FIA president Jean Todt and F1 chief executive Chase Carey in Paris that a decision on the changes is due "once research being conducted by the FIA, in consultation with the teams, has been concluded."

F1 race director Charlie Whiting said that although Bahrain and China were better races, F1 still needs to look into the matter of overtaking.

"I think we should continue the discussion on this topic," he said. "We saw two good races in a row, but in my opinion, it's quite clear that the difficulty with overtaking remains. So this work needs to be continued."

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/fia-race-director-says-f1-still-has-work-do-allow-more-passing?utm_source=RacingDaily20180419&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awracingdaily

Edited by PittsburghTiger

10 hours ago, wood said:

Agreed. The move where he hit Vettel, yeah he fucked it up, coming from too far back & then overcooking it. But I get why he made the move. Vettel went wide for whatever reason (Vettel says he went wide on purpose), so it was makeable. He just didn't make it. It was really no more of a longshot imho than RIC's move on Bottas. The only reason that didn't end in tears is because Bottas had the great reflexes to avoid the collision. And Ricciardo was celebrated for that move by everyone, including me.

I remember Lauda back in 2011 talking about how Lewis needed to be reigned in or he was "going to kill someone" in his fifth year. Guess he turned out ok tho.

But that's my exact problem with the move.  It was totally makeable.  Lewis, Ricciardo, Alonso, or Vettel himself could have done it in an 18-wheeler.  And yet he just plowed into Vettel like a complete buffoon.  That might have been understandable as a rookie, but he's not, and it isn't.

RBR seems to be all-in on Max and pushing Ricciardo out the door.  I believe that's a mistake.  But, since I really like Ricciardo and don't give a rat's ass about RBR, more power to 'em.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, utee94 said:

But that's my exact problem with the move.  It was totally makeable.  Lewis, Ricciardo, Alonso, or Vettel himself could have done it in an 18-wheeler.  And yet he just plowed into Vettel like a complete buffoon.  That might have been understandable as a rookie, but he's not, and it isn't.

RBR seems to be all-in on Max and pushing Ricciardo out the door.  I believe that's a mistake.  But, since I really like Ricciardo and don't give a rat's ass about RBR, more power to 'em.

Fair enough, but most people are hammering on him for attempting the move in the first place, using it as further evidence that he makes moves he shouldn't attempt. Sometimes he does, but this wasn't one imho. To me it's more of a physical mistake we see all the time in sports rather than a mental one, like missing an open shot in hoops or booting a grounder, ie choosing the right move and then just getting it wrong. 

Ricciardo's move was just as wild, and he only pulled it off because Bottas was really on top of his shit and did a superb bit of driving. But it worked out & I love that both of these guys were pushing so hard and trying these moves. I'd rather have the driver or other athlete that you have to reign in than the one you have to try to make more aggressive.

• Like 1

Forgot that this race was just a week after the last one (would be nice if Google could figure out how to add sporting events in Now without spoilering), opened this thread, and saw a mention of Ricciardo winning. Got about halfway through watching thinking "how the fuck is he going to win this?"

Driver of the day award goes to Red Bull's pit crew. Goat of the day goes to Toto Wolff, who was still sucking his own dick after playing Ferrari brilliantly earlier in the race.

Lando Norris has been tipped to replace Fernando Alonso, who will reportedly leave McLaren at the end of the season.

According to Spanish publication Diario Gol, highly-rated Norris is in line to make the step up to Formula 1 as Alonso has 'grown increasingly frustrated' with McLaren's incapability of providing a car that can match the likes of Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull.

McLaren are believed to have further one-year options on both Alonso and his team-mate Stoffel Vandoorne, but Alonso is apparently ready for a new challenge elsewhere.

Mercedes and Ferrari could both have seats available at the end of the season with Valtteri Bottas and Kimi Raikkonen also out of contract, but it appears very unlikely either team will look to sign him and risk disrupting the team dynamics with Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel

That may lead Alonso to continue racing in other disciplines away from Formula 1, something which he has stepped up this year with a full WEC season also on the agenda this year.

In reality, we look forward to Alonso being linked with every team under the sun before he signs a new extension with Mclaren

http://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-linked-with-mclaren-exit-report/

as a fairly passive follower of F1 outside of Austin, checked in on the first month and it looks like we have a little bit different outcomes...were rules changed over the offseason that eliminated mercedes's advantage?  also, a non-vettel/hamilton win!

do you guys think there is any chance that we still have some drama in the driver and constructor cup standings by the time austin rolls around in the fall for a change?

I had to watch it later. When I looked for the race on the espn app on my smart tv, fuckin espn had the race results videos above the video for the replay. 

Way to go espn, how about putting the race replays at the top of the screen and maybe the race results, winner interview videos after the page break.

5 hours ago, sidis said:

as a fairly passive follower of F1 outside of Austin, checked in on the first month and it looks like we have a little bit different outcomes...were rules changed over the offseason that eliminated mercedes's advantage?  also, a non-vettel/hamilton win!

do you guys think there is any chance that we still have some drama in the driver and constructor cup standings by the time austin rolls around in the fall for a change?

if the rules stay the same long enough the other guys will eventually catch up.  we've been on this engine formula for quite a while now.  

Diario Gol has about zero credibility according to the Spanish folks on other boards. But, credibility of this article aside, I had already been thinking Alonso is probably gone to another team after this season if things aren't looking VERY promising next year at McLaren.

I think it’ll be a good battle. It depends how everyone develops their car, though, of course.

Merc seems to have a car that has a tiny setup window again. In Melbourne it was on rails, in China it was understeering everywhere. Bahrain was okay but they don’t have the engine advantage they used to in qualy. They also struggled last year until Spain, though, so I think once we get there with everyone’s upgrade packages we will have to see how it shakes out.

Ferrari was good in Melbourne but on point in Bahrain and China.

Red Bull is closer to both of them than they were last year and they are great at developing the car, so that could be right there.

I think Mercedes will still have a reliability advantage over both, especially Red Bull. They seem to have been running more conservative than everyone else so far, as well. I also wonder if some teams are internally planning for 4 PUs this year.

In any case, I think it will be exciting.