2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

Two seasons ago I sort of liked Max.  He seemed young and brash, but I thought some seasoning would improve him.

Now he's just an asshole.  Screw him and screw RBR, Ricciardo deserves better and hopefully he'll get it soon.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, wood said:

Looks like Google Fiber has all the sessions listed, and all at the right times. I think this is the first time they've managed that.

FP1 855-1030 ESPNU

FP2 1255-230 ESPNU

FP3 955-1100 ESPN2

QUAL 1255-200 ESPNEWS

GP 1230-300 ABC

Thanks wood, I was looking for a succinct listing everywhere.  You'd think ESPN would have it on their Candian Grand Prix race page, but nah.

I don't have ESPNU or ESPNNews, so that's why those aren't turning up for me on the DVR.  I'm assuming they'll be available on-demand on the ESPN app later, I think it's only the live stuff where I get blocked when I don't subscribe to that particular channel.

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2018/races/985/canada/qualifying.html

POS NO DRIVER CAR Q1 Q2 Q3 LAPS
1 5 Sebastian Vettel FERRARI 1:11.710 1:11.524 1:10.764 18
2 77 Valtteri Bottas MERCEDES 1:11.950 1:11.514 1:10.857 20
3 33 Max Verstappen RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER 1:12.008 1:11.472 1:10.937 16
4 44 Lewis Hamilton MERCEDES 1:11.835 1:11.740 1:10.996 21
5 7 Kimi Räikkönen FERRARI 1:11.725 1:11.620 1:11.095 20
6 3 Daniel Ricciardo RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER 1:12.459 1:11.434 1:11.116 18
7 27 Nico Hulkenberg RENAULT 1:12.795 1:11.916 1:11.973 15
8 31 Esteban Ocon FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 1:12.577 1:12.141 1:12.084 14
9 55 Carlos Sainz RENAULT 1:12.689 1:12.097 1:12.168 15
10 11 Sergio Perez FORCE INDIA MERCEDES 1:12.702 1:12.395 1:12.671 13
11 20 Kevin Magnussen HAAS FERRARI 1:12.680 1:12.606   22
12 28 Brendon Hartley SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO HONDA 1:12.587 1:12.635   17
13 16 Charles Leclerc SAUBER FERRARI 1:12.945 1:12.661   22
14 14 Fernando Alonso MCLAREN RENAULT 1:12.979 1:12.856   14
15 2 Stoffel Vandoorne MCLAREN RENAULT 1:12.998 1:12.865   14
16 10 Pierre Gasly SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO HONDA 1:13.047     8
17 18 Lance Stroll WILLIAMS MERCEDES 1:13.590     8
18 35 Sergey Sirotkin WILLIAMS MERCEDES 1:13.643     10
19 9 Marcus Ericsson SAUBER FERRARI 1:14.593     6

Q1 107% time - 1:16.729

Note - Grosjean failed to meet 107% Q1 requirement - races at stewards' discretion.

1 hour ago, crackamacgowski said:

Of course he did because he was focused more on the asshole celebrity than on the task at hand. Asshole celebrities belong in the hospitality suites or, at the closest, in a team garage. They should not be wielding official race flags. 

Yep.

Is Andretti, or A. Rossi backers, or both, going to buy FI?

If Joe S. is to be believed, I think Alonso may be looking for not only a race triple crown, but a championship triple crown as well. That would be something... And if Andretti is buying into F1 with Alonso potentially heading off to IndyCar, that would also leave the door open for an F1 return for Alonso with McLaren or Andretti.

Interesting. 

ANDRETTI AND ALONSO

McLaren was a busy place during the Canadian Grand Prix weekend, with Zak Brown spending a lot of time in the company of visiting Michael Andretti, who departed on Saturday afternoon to y down to Texas for the IndyCar race that evening. Andretti was accompanied by the company president J-F Thormann.No-one was willing to say much "on the record", but it is clear that the purpose of the visit was to continue recent discussions about a possible McLaren IndyCar team in 2019, with  Andretti  providing  the  infrastructure  for  the  project  and  Alonso  being  the  driver. There is no question that Andretti is in a position to do it. The team currently runs four full time cars in the IndyCar Series for Alexander Rossi,  Ryan Hunter-Reay, Zach Veach and Marco Andretti. The entry expanded to six cars for the Indy 500 with Stefan Wilson and Carlos Muñoz joining the line-up. There are four Andretti cars running in Indy Lights for Pato O’Ward, Dalton Kellett, Ryan Norman and Colton Herta, the last-named having ambitions to compete in IndyCar in the future with support from George Steinbrenner IV, the heir to the fortune created by the New York Yankees. In addition Andretti runs teams in  the Americas Rallycross Championship and in Formula E, plus being in partnership with  Brown's United  Autosports  with  the  Walkinshaw  Andretti  United  in  the  Supercars championship in Australia. It's a big operation.Alonso seems to have concluded that there is not much point racing in Formula 1 any longer as McLaren is unlikely to win the title as a Renault customer in the time that Fernando  has  left  at  this  level  of  the  sport.  His  focus  now  seems to  be  to win  the  so-called Triple Crown, which consists of scoring victories in the Monaco Grand Pirx, the Indianapolis 500 and  at  the Le Mans 24 Hours. Alonso  won  Monaco in 2006 and 2007. He was a frontrunner at Indy last year and is racing to try to win Le Mans  next week, with Toyota. This is special because only one driver has ever done it, Graham Hill, who won Monaco ve times in 1963, 1964, 1965, 1968 and1969, Indianapolis in 1966 and Le Mans in 1972. If Alonso decides to go down this route, McLaren will obviously need to replace him in F1, which has started a new of rumours in F1 circles with Formula 2 driver and McLaren reserve  driver  Lando  Norris  being  the  obvious  candidate.  Stoffel Vandoorne's future with the team is uncertain but he will probably stay. The key question with regard to a McLaren IndyCar programme, which would help selling cars in the important US market, is who would pay for it and the telecommunications giant Sprint has been suggested because Brown has strong links with the company's new CEO Michel Combes, who has been spotted with McLaren at Monaco and at the Detroit IndyCar races last week. He is also a member of McLaren's Business Advisory Group. Combes was not visible in Montreal and nor was Norris.While all this explained Andretti's presence in Montreal, there was clearly more going than met the eye, with Andretti and Thormann having a number of interesting meetings, in league with Pieter Rossi, the father of Alex Rossi, who is currently a strong contender to win the IndyCar title this year but used to be a Formula 1 driver. These discussions included meetings with from Liberty Media and with  the  beleaguered  Force  India.  There  is  no doubt  that  Force India needs to nd a nancial solution quickly, if it is to avoid going into administration, as it is now in grave danger of trading while insolvent as its current owners Vijay Mallya and Subrata Roy do not have the money available to fund the team. Andretti would be a terric thing for Formula 1, as it seeks to expand in the United States. There have been a lot of rumours, in addition to Andretti, but none of them is as interesting in F1 terms as Andretti. According to our sources, Liberty is not going to be involved in a  Force India buyout. Similarly, Mercedes Benz might jump in to save the day, because the team owes it nearly $23 million, but there 
l Sebastian Vettel told press looking to write criticism of F1 for another quiet race  that  they  were  wasting  their  time. "There's no reason," he said. "Don’t even look for an answer,  don’t write  anything. Write  about  something  else.  Life’s  like this.  I  don’t  think  it’s  justied  to  criticise the  racing,  or  criticise  this  race.    I  don’t know why people today are so short-sighted.  We  have  had  seven  races  this year, I think some were phenomenal, some were boring. This week  the  World Cup is starting and I promise you that a lot of the games will not be exciting – but still people will watch it - but some games will be incredible. That’s what we always look forward to – but it can’t always continue to go up and get better."l Former Formula 1 team owner Tony Fernandes has run into allegations of corruption, following the country's recent change of government and the return to power  of  Dr  Mahathir  Mohammad.  The country's Central Bureau of Investigation is looking into allegations that senior government ofcials in India were bribed to change regulations in favour of Air Asia in India.seem to be little interest to do that unless it will help save the team, which is something considered to  be  important.  If  the  money  is  right,  then  the  Andretti  rm  could get  its hands on a turn-key F1 operation and it would simply be a matter of re-branding and building on what already exists. The problem, however, is that Andretti is unlikely to jump unless he knows what it will cost, and that is not going to happen for another month or so when the question of an F1 budget cap - and its likely glide path - are likely to be in the news. If  there are budget constraints and a limit set  then  it  might even encourage a  US  manufacturer  to  get  involved.  Chevrolet,  which  is  now  starting  to  downsize  and turbocharge engines for its pick-ups, with the recent announcement of a range of 2.7-litre inline-four turbo engines, rather than the traditional V8s, is an obvious step. However, the other problem is how to get the Force India owners to stop dreaming and to sell the team at a sensible price. This probably explains why Rossi is involved as he is well-connected in Silicon Valley and may be able to nd (or has already found) private equity backers to buy the team. The uncertainty over the future of Force India is beginning to create new problems as there are rumours that Mercedes want to pull Esteban Ocon out of the team and put him somewhere more stable to continue his career development. On suggestion that was oating about in Canada was that Ocon could be drafted in to Renault, as a replacement for Carlos Sainz (who is a Red Bull driver). Sainz moved to Renault last season because the team wanted to beef up its challenge, replacing Jolyon Palmer. Sainz has done well enough to help the team gain a stronger challenge in the Constructors' Championship, but Ocon might be a better option because he could be stronger than Nico Hulkenberg, and being French will not hurt him in a team owned by the French manufacturer, in much the same way as happened back in the 1970s when Renault took on  the  young  Alain  Prost.  Renault  was  keen  to  have  Ocon  but  his  Mercedes  contract was getting in the way, but with the Force India driver under threat, it might be a move that makes sense as Ocon waits to step in as a replacement for Lewis Hamilton... Ocon, remember, used to be a Renault reserve driver... This might explain why the name Sainz has popped up in relation to McLaren, as the team begins to look around for a Fernando Alonso replacement.  McLaren might like to see if it could get a Dan Ricciardo, but the team is not doing well enough to draw the biggest talent

Edited by wood

• 2 weeks later...

This whole episode with Andretti and Alonso hanging out, and the rumored Rossi involvement has me thinking FI could be under Andretti management next year, with backing from Rossi's & Alonso's folks, and Rossi & Alonso in the seats. Sounds pretty exciting to me. I don't think they'd be hurting for money.

Edited by wood

This whole episode with Andretti and Alonso hanging out, and the rumored Rossi involvement has me thinking FI could be under Andretti management next year, with backing from Rossi's & Alonso's folks, and Rossi & Alonso in the seats. Sounds pretty exiting to me. I don't think they'd be hurting for money.

Interesting. Does anyone think that Alonso drives for AA in Indy next year?

Also, Red Bull going with Honda power for 2019-2020. It’ll be interesting to watch.

15 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Interesting. Does anyone think that Alonso drives for AA in Indy next year?

Also, Red Bull going with Honda power for 2019-2020. It’ll be interesting to watch.

Maybe. And the funny thing is it could be in F1, IndyCar, or even both I suppose.

Another big rumor going around now is Newey & Alonso to Renault, which could be pretty huge as well. And Newey isn't denying it.

Enter here to ride shotgun with Lewis in a GTR at the 2018 USGP...

https://www.omaze.com/experiences/lewis-hamilton-austin-grand-prix?utm_source=instagram.com&utm_medium=social&utm_content=RedNoseDay&utm_campaign=experiences.lewis-hamilton-austin-grand-prix&utm_term=PitchSelf-filmed&oa_h=7y39pu

Pretty cool. I actually got to drive the same green GT-R Lewis lapped with Bolt last year. Amazing car & pretty got damn fun. Thanks, AMG Driver Academy!

Just watched Canada and I have come to the conclusion that F1 needs to get rid of red tire. It's just too good. It has good grip characteristics and a long fall off. Just need the purple and the hyper soft. Maybe then would get races that didn't just have one stop from the leader. Also stop mandating that engines last forever. The cars are just too darn reliable. Aside from whatever Alonso happens to be driving that weekend of course. I guess getting a reliable Toyota makes up for a lot of unreliable Hondas.

Remember last year when McLaren had a great chassis but just didn't have power or reliability? Everyone said so. All they needed was a good engine and they'd be right up there with RB at least.

So much for that.

Hey, I predicted they would struggle this year. Not this badly, but yeah, damn. I can’t think Alonso is there next year.

13 hours ago, elfenix said:

Just watched Canada and I have come to the conclusion that F1 needs to get rid of red tire. It's just too good. It has good grip characteristics and a long fall off. Just need the purple and the hyper soft. Maybe then would get races that didn't just have one stop from the leader. Also stop mandating that engines last forever. The cars are just too darn reliable. Aside from whatever Alonso happens to be driving that weekend of course. I guess getting a reliable Toyota makes up for a lot of unreliable Hondas.

These crazy engine & component limits are one of the worst things about F1 right now.

12 hours ago, elfenix said:

Remember last year when McLaren had a great chassis but just didn't have power or reliability? Everyone said so. All they needed was a good engine and they'd be right up there with RB at least.

So much for that.

That was last year, with a different car built around a smaller engine with a different layout. I think they did have a really good chassis. I think this year they got it wrong after a late start designing the car around the Renault PU. A lot of people are assuming it's all down to aero, but I think Tim Goss also guessed wrong on the rear suspension setup, which has led to massive traction problems & is one reason they're so, so bad in slow corners. They didn't have those problems last year & were consistently very quick in the most technical sectors and very slow in power sectors.

ETA: I said at the beginning of the season the car was basically the 2017 car with a few small changes, adapted to fit the Renault PU. They did pretty well with that car up til the big 'upgrade' to the 2018 spec. That's when the troubles really started for them. 

Edited by wood

4 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Hey, I predicted they would struggle this year. Not this badly, but yeah, damn. I can’t think Alonso is there next year.

I think he's at Renault or a post-FI Andretti, or he's just off to other things. It sucks for F1 andfor him & his fans in F1 terms, but there are a lot of other opportunities out there...

13 hours ago, skipperj said:

I assumed Max caused that up front, but it was Vettel.

Ha! Yeah, Vettel ruins Bottas's race and then knocks Grosjean off the track. Grosjean gets investigated and Vettel gets a 5s penalty. The F1 lulz are endless it seems.

ETA: Wow. Apparently Seb hit Alonso too. Hit 3 cars in separate incidents? What's the record?

Edited by wood

53 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Vettel has THAT power and decided he needed to get dumb out the gate... makes no sense... he'd be racing Hamilton now, instead of chasing... with a 5 sec penalty.

Yep. Vettel has always been fantastic running out front. In tight quarters, not so much. 

4 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I don't watch much F1... but when I do, Hamilton or Vettel wins. Is that the norm these days, or am I just coincidenting like that?

Yes, I made that up.

Pretty much the norm these days. F1 is effectively a 2-tier series, even though it doesn't want to admit it.

You can't win right now in anything but a Ferrari or Merc, or in a Red Bull when all hell breaks loose or at a high-downforce track. And with the new Merc engine upgrade, I'm not sure how competitive Ferrari will be from here on out this year, either.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

Pretty much the norm these days. F1 is effectively a 2-tier series, even though it doesn't want to admit it.
You can't win right now in anything but a Ferrari or Merc, or in a Red Bull when all hell breaks loose or at a high-downforce track. And with the new Merc engine upgrade, I'm not sure how competitive Ferrari will be from here on out this year, either.
It looked like Ferrari had plenty of engine... Vettel and the other guy drove around everyone.... after Vettel went nuts in the first couple of turns.

3 minutes ago, Snacks said:
11 minutes ago, wood said:

It looked like Ferrari had plenty of engine... Vettel and the other guy drove around everyone.... after Vettel went nuts in the first couple of turns.

Yep. When I said "competitive" I meant "competitive with Mercedes".