2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

39 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

So this means a Ganassi or AA Indy ride with no McLaren entry I suppose? At least for 2019.

I dunno, I think there's some kind of thing happening with IndyCar and Zak Borwn tomorrow. Who knows...

Can you imagine the mess at Turn1 on pretty much any track, if the bottom 6 drivers were in the top 6 cars?

Of course, I guess I'm assuming they'd actually make it through qualifying without wrecking out, which might be too much to assume, so...

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1118332_gasly-to-join-verstappen-at-red-bull-racing-in-2019

Red Bull Racing late on Monday confirmed that Formula 1 rising star Pierre Gasly will join the team in 2019 as the replacement for Daniel Ricciardo, who is leaving to join Renault.

Gasly currently drives for Red Bull feeder team Toro Rosso and his promotion to the top team was largely expected. He will race alongside current Red Bull driver Max Verstappen (shown below) in the new season.

Gasly only joined the F1 circuit at the tail end of the 2017 season and in the short time he has scored three top-ten finishes, including an impressive fourth place in the 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix. We'll remind you that the results were achieved mostly running Honda power units.

Gasly, like most F1 drivers on the grid, started out in karting before moving into the French F4 Championship in 2011. He then went on to Formula Renault 2.0, winning that title in 2013 and being promised to the Red Bull Junior Driver Program at the same time.

Well. Boom...

It's interesting that Ted said it before Alonso and judging from his tone, he'd already heard about what Alonso as referring to. 

Remember that mini 'rant' Horner went on about Ricciardo after he left? I thought a lot at the time that it was very interesting that he'd talk so much about Alonso at that moment, and that there might be something going on. Looks like maybe that hunch was right.

https://streamable.com/nrhzo

Racing Point Force India has been granted their Formula 1 entry by the FIA, but the team will start afresh as a new team this week and with zero points in the Formula 1 Constructors' Championship standings.

When Lawrence Stroll and his consortium purchased Force India earlier this month, he took control of all the physical assets of the team, which included saving some 400 jobs. What this didn’t include, however, was the Formula 1 entry, which was owned by former title sponsor Sahara. This meant that, as the team turned up at the track for this weekend’s Belgium Grand Prix, there was a chance that Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon could be prevented from racing.

Obviously something like that would be very embarrassing for the new investors, Formula 1 owners Liberty Media and the FIA, so an announcement late on Thursday that an entry as a new constructor had been granted seems as though common sense has prevailed.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/force-india-f1-team-stripped-all-constructors-championship-points-following#ixzz5P3DsQHLQ

Bottas starts at the back, and climbs to the front, finishing only behind his car-mate, the other car-petitor, and maxstappen.  Color me surprised.

I think they should just start every race in the reverse order of the championship standing.  At least it'll provide a bit more action.

pretty dull for 43.5 laps. Vettel at least had a legit on track pass for what was essentially the win on the first lap.

Ericsson and Hartley had a slightly interesting exchange for a few laps where they swapped with DRS.

Max passing the Force India cars was pretty good, all of Bottas's overtakes were boring wave-bys.

Then there Charlie Whiting...

Whiting says that Hamilton couldn't know what Ferrari is doing, while confirming that the FIA is up to speed.

"I'm quite amused by it really," he said. "Because we know quite a lot about the Ferrari car, and there is no way that Lewis would know anything about the Ferrari car."

Halo wasn't the only solution to protect the drivers, but I'm certainly glad it was there to do so yesterday.

Fred and Ricciardo should just stop showing up on race day.  I wouldn't blame them one bit.  Some really bad luck for both of them this year.

On 8/26/2018 at 10:24 AM, Goofyboy said:

Ferrari is fast. Hamilton seems genuinely concerned, as he should be. Other than that, pretty boring race after the first corner carnage.

Yeah I was watching it delayed late last night. Very boring race. Man, Nico really dropkicked Alonso a mile, but he doesn't hjave a history of stupid mistakes, so I think calling for him to be banned as some are doing is pretty over the top.

4 hours ago, crackamacgowski said:

Yep, gonna have to eat crow on the halo. I think we'll get to enjoy a talented, young driver for many more years thanks to that safety addition. Crazy.

Yep, and LeClerc is basically the next Bianci to Ferrari. Can you imagine if he'd gotten hurt or killed like that? Terrible.

53 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Halo wasn't the only solution to protect the drivers, but I'm certainly glad it was there to do so yesterday.

Fred and Ricciardo should just stop showing up on race day.  I wouldn't blame them one bit.  Some really bad luck for both of them this year.

They might as well paint targets on their cars.

Re: the Halo, I haven't been its biggest fan. I think it's a compromise, but I also think it's already saved more than one driver from very serious harm. 

7 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah I was watching it delayed late last night. Very boring race. Man, Nico really dropkicked Alonso a mile, but he doesn't hjave a history of stupid mistakes, so I think calling for him to be banned as some are doing is pretty over the top.

I didn't watch any of the post-race, did they ever determine if his brakes failed or something?  It just seemed way too fast and obvious to be a driver mistake.  

28 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The tire wouldn’t have hit him, but the end of the wing might have.

It was pretty damn close. Did you see during the race when they showed the rubber on the halo? It was on the front stalk, and the right wing of the halo.

“I have never been a fan of the halo but I have to say that I was very happy to have it over my head today,” tweeted Leclerc. The 2016 F1 champion Nico Rosberg said on Twitter: “We can end the Halo discussion now. It will save lives. #thanksFIA”. Well said.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2018/8/winners-and-losers--belgian-grand-prix-edition.html

There is a picture there in that link.

It was pretty damn close. Did you see during the race when they showed the rubber on the halo? It was on the front stalk, and the right wing of the halo.

“I have never been a fan of the halo but I have to say that I was very happy to have it over my head today,” tweeted Leclerc. The 2016 F1 champion Nico Rosberg said on Twitter: “We can end the Halo discussion now. It will save lives. #thanksFIA”. Well said.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2018/8/winners-and-losers--belgian-grand-prix-edition.html

There is a picture there in that link.

Oh yeah, it’s just that the way the car was spinning I think it would have gone right in front of him. But even so, the wing probably hits him anyway and in the end it doesn’t matter what would have happened because the halo prevented it.