Need a new non stick frying pan

BigDHornfan

For the Scanpan fans, I was looking at the 8" and 10.25" pans.  They were $50 and $90 at amazon or both for $100.  

Then I  happened to search williams and sonoma

SCANPAN Classic Nonstick Fry Pan 8" $30 with free shipping

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/scanpan-classic-fry-pan/?pkey=s|scanpan classic|30

they did not have the 10.25" alone.  

SCANPAN Classic Nonstick Fry Pan Set 8" + 10.25" $60 with free shipping

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/scanpan-classic-fry-pan-set/?pkey=s|scanpan classic|30

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 1/21/2019 at 6:53 AM, SurlyORama said:

However, I switched over to Calphalon after I got a couple as gifts. Since getting them 7 or 8 years ago, once they begin to stick a bit, I take advantage of the lifetime warranty. Send them back and get brand new ones for free. Think I've done that once or twice on each of the pans.

We have a mix of pots and pans that need replacement.  One of them is a Calphalon Dutch Oven that has been awesome for ragu, chili, etc., but which has several worn spots.  Your post triggered a warranty claim I never would have thought of.  I made the claim on-line on Sunday.  They just notified me they are sending me a replacement.  Pos rep, my friend!

Where are the All-Clad all the time ballers?

Reporting for duty. All my stainless is All-Clad and I love ‘em but got an AC non-stick on sale and it is not nearly as good as others I’ve had. I loved the Tramontina ones but I switched to induction and so no dice.

ETA, I also have the lodge 12” carbon steel and I love it. It’s plenty non-stick now that it’s seasoned for a couple of months and holds heat really nicely.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 5:18 PM, Tonesky said:

We have a mix of pots and pans that need replacement.  One of them is a Calphalon Dutch Oven that has been awesome for ragu, chili, etc., but which has several worn spots.  Your post triggered a warranty claim I never would have thought of.  I made the claim on-line on Sunday.  They just notified me they are sending me a replacement.  Pos rep, my friend!

I’m testing the boundaries of that warranty. I have an old nonstick pan that recently lost it’s nonstickiness. It was made under the company’s old name, the Commercial Aluminum Cookware Company of Toledo, OH. I sent Calphalon an email with photos and asked if their lifetime warranty applies. It’s a 10” pan. I’m probably going to buy a new 12” pan either way. I’ll let you know if they replace my 10” pan. I’m skeptical about my chances but damn, that was a good pan. The replacement couldn’t possibly be as good or have the same long life. But it’s such a high bar that even a pan of lesser quality is still probably going to be pretty good. 

IMG_1704.thumb.jpeg.50efe6ce8f8dda978a272de1d0962038.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

My ears!

No kidding.  I stuck with it because I wanted to see what the best bang for the buck pan was that would work for induction because the ceramic nonstick I grabbed on a whim sucked. 

On 1/21/2019 at 6:53 AM, SurlyORama said:

I bought these for several years, and agree that these are great, great values.

However, I switched over to Calphalon after I got a couple as gifts. Since getting them 7 or 8 years ago, once they begin to stick a bit, I take advantage of the lifetime warranty. Send them back and get brand new ones for free. Think I've done that once or twice on each of the pans.

I don't abuse them, don't use metal spatulas, etc. But over time, if you use them enough (these are my daily go-to's), they eventually start to wear out.

Mofo... LIfetime warranty?  Of this I did not know...  I am a "is that thing at COSTCO a decent deal" type of guy.  But if you have not perused your local restaurant supply place, you are missing out on fantastic deals, like aluminum sheet pans, great durable knives, low cost higher end knives, squeeze bottles, oyster knives, servings trays for the colors of parties... I could go on...

I am actually starting to like the "granite" style tougher frying pans because of durability and I don't see a drop off in non-stick.  We have two red enamel sauce and dutch oven cast iron that take on the sear and simmer in volume stuff.  The only thing I think separates a choice in frying pans, is if you are doing a lot of oven finishing.  If so a 400 degree handle would take of everything.  

Did I say, I would likely buy whats on sale at COSTCO?  As if I hate it I can just return it...  We actually bought a set of the Kirkland brand Pan set.  We bought them for two of the pans, for maybe Christmas prep?  But they remind me a lot of the Calphalon pans I have apparently not been wisely returning.  My only complaint is that the pots have the pouring aspect I like, but the tops don't seal that well IMHO.  I use a strip of foils across the pouring vent to seal if I am doing rice, for example.  

But... Uh... No advice... Just ramblings.... (sounds like Surly slogan of the day!)

• Hook 'Em 1

Like dcbc mentioned upthread, I'm on year 2 of carbon steel pans in place of non-stick. They'll never be as slick as a new teflon pan, but I can use metal utensils, throw them in the oven, and cleaning them is a breeze. They're hunks of steel and will last forever.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

Like dcbc mentioned upthread, I'm on year 2 of carbon steel pans in place of non-stick. They'll never be as slick as a new teflon pan, but I can use metal utensils, throw them in the oven, and cleaning them is a breeze. They're hunks of steel and will last forever.

They're really great.  The only reason I keep a cheap nonstick on hand is for my lovely family members who are not going to take the time to take good care of the C/S pans.

25 minutes ago, dcbc said:

They're really great.  The only reason I keep a cheap nonstick on hand is for my lovely family members who are not going to take the time to take good care of the C/S pans.

This is why I shop Ace-Mart.  I take care of my Mercer knives, but at any given time some dumbass who will not be named will probably try to put them in the dishwasher.  No loss of temper yet that I can tell but even if it happens, it's $40.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This is why I shop Ace-Mart.  I take care of my Mercer knives, but at any given time some dumbass who will not be named will probably try to put them in the dishwasher.  No loss of temper yet that I can tell but even if it happens, it's $40.

We have a 20 year old set of Henckels "house knives in a block on the counter.  My knives are in a knife roll in a separate cabinet with my carbon steel pans.  I keep the house knives sharp, but I don't stress when one goes through the dish washer.  Same with the "house" nonstick pan.  It gets used and abused and I don't sweat it.  I will say that the $20 copper colored ceramic nonstick pans are hot garbage.

Edited by dcbc