Need a new non stick frying pan

BigDHornfan

Just bought one of these carbon steel pans.  Once seasoned, it's pretty nonstick and lighter than cast iron.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KENOTK/ref=twister_B00PL6TEO6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But I also have a T-Fal Pro series teflon pan that I won't mind replacing every few years for as cheap as they are.

Edited by dcbc

What makes a good or bad frying pan?

* Handle that is heat resistant so you can put in oven

* Handle that are ergonomic, don't feel cheap as fuck and won't come loose

* Thick and heavy means it has thermal mass and won't lose heat quickly...also ensures more even cooking (relative thickness variance in manufacturing is lower)

* Induction compatible important if you upgrade in future, or do outdoor cooking where you might use portable induction stove

I prefer something more raw like stainless (demeyere), carbon steel (debuyer), or even cast iron.  But the wife likes nonstick and sometimes it comes in handy (just don't abuse it with metal utensils).

I have a set from a Spanish brand called BRA and it meets all the checklist above.  Really like it and it wasn't expensive 

https://braisogona.com/products/lote-de-sartenes-efficient

If you can't find that, search for cast aluminum pans.  The usual stuff is typically stamped which means the billet/sheet is never thick enough to meet the thermal mass requirements above.

10 hours ago, huge said:

Where are the All-Clad all the time ballers?

Demereye is made in first world, also fully multi-clad construction, all metal, but is actually thicker than all-clad, and handle is welded on (rather than riveted) so the pan surface is fully smooth without those pair of all-clad nubs

14 hours ago, woohorn said:

1) Go to a restaurant supply/amazon and by this: Vollrath Z4010 Wear-Ever 10-Inch Non-Stick Fry Pan with Cool Handle, Aluminum, NSF

315HbGtgcBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2) watch yer dik fall off because of the non-stick coating

3) ???

4) profit

I bought these for several years, and agree that these are great, great values.

However, I switched over to Calphalon after I got a couple as gifts. Since getting them 7 or 8 years ago, once they begin to stick a bit, I take advantage of the lifetime warranty. Send them back and get brand new ones for free. Think I've done that once or twice on each of the pans.

I don't abuse them, don't use metal spatulas, etc. But over time, if you use them enough (these are my daily go-to's), they eventually start to wear out.

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 1/21/2019 at 5:53 AM, SurlyORama said:

I bought these for several years, and agree that these are great, great values.

However, I switched over to Calphalon after I got a couple as gifts. Since getting them 7 or 8 years ago, once they begin to stick a bit, I take advantage of the lifetime warranty. Send them back and get brand new ones for free. Think I've done that once or twice on each of the pans.

I don't abuse them, don't use metal spatulas, etc. But over time, if you use them enough (these are my daily go-to's), they eventually start to wear out.

Just got a set of Calaphon pots and pans for Christmas. They've been great so far. 

Who uses Pam?  Can they even sell it if you don't flash your AARP card?
Fuck Pam.

I use the costco spray canola. On the gas grill and to get gum out of the dryer. Never on nonstick.

No shit on the dryer gum. Found some in there yesterday. Internet said spray Pam on it and rub with an old towel. Got no Pam used costco canola spray and wiped with some old towels. The gum came right out. Drum was greasy so washed le towels and then dried them. Wallah no gum on towels, no grease in drum. Washed again and dried again. Wallah no grease on towels or in dryer. Magick.

JFC people! I said Pam as a generic term. I actually use Vegalene which is the tits. I learned about Vegalene years ago from a cook when I was working at the State Hospital. She could cook 50 eggs on the flat top and not break one yolk.  I don't see enameled cast iron as "no stick" like Teflon, but as low stick, but I'll be damned if I can get an egg to not stick without using some ghee or Vegalene. You people must be wizards or something. 

Edited by Not that Bob

JFC people! I said Pam as a generic term. I actually use Vegalene which is the tits. I learned about Vegalene years ago from a cook when I was working at the State Hospital. She could cook 50 eggs on the flat top and not break one yolk.  I don't see enameled cast iron as "no stick" like Teflon, but as low stick, but I'll be damned if I can get an egg to not stick without using some ghee or Vegalene. You people must be wizards or something. 

Vegalene is the tits.

9 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Fuck all the name brand non-stick pans! I like their stainless pans but their non-sticks will not last. 

Go to a restaurant supply and get a Vollrath for a fraction of the price and be done.

Like I said earlier, the Vollrath's are a good value, and I had several of them over time. However, in my personal experience the non-stick does not last as long as the Calphalons. At least, the Calphalons that I have used. Plus, when they start to stick, you get to replace them for free. Not even a shipping charge.

I always thought that restaurants must use the Vollraths for 6 months and then replace, since they are so reasonably priced. When pretty new, they are pretty amazingly non-sticky.

Edited by SurlyORama

21 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

I'll be damned if I can get an egg to not stick without using some ghee or Vegalene. You people must be wizards or something. 

What do you do to season your pan? Enameled cast iron isn't inherently non-stick like the modern chemical non-stick coatings. What temp is the pan at when you drop in the egg?

On 1/23/2019 at 7:22 AM, SurlyORama said:

Like I said earlier, the Vollrath's are a good value, and I had several of them over time. However, in my personal experience the non-stick does not last as long as the Calphalons. At least, the Calphalons that I have used. Plus, when they start to stick, you get to replace them for free. Not even a shipping charge.

I always thought that restaurants must use the Vollraths for 6 months and then replace, since they are so reasonably priced. When pretty new, they are pretty amazingly non-sticky.

Restaurants use and replace at high frequency.

Been using the Calphalons for the last dozen years or so, they are great. 

Anyone here encounter a 14" non stick?  

I've had a set of Scanpans for about 6 years now.  They're expensive, but it's worth it since you don't have to replace them every year or two.

Yeah. And for some reason, one of mine is FUCKED after 3 years. It’s full and (I think) oxidizing. It’s never been touched by metal or out in the dishwasher. Sucks because I loved that pan.

4 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Yeah. And for some reason, one of mine is FUCKED after 3 years. It’s full and (I think) oxidizing. It’s never been touched by metal or out in the dishwasher. Sucks because I loved that pan.

You should check into that.  My understanding is that they are pretty reasonably about changing out defective products.