Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

8 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Hey, jackweed, CTJ gets more action in a week than you've had in your entire life. He's got houses in L.A., Paris and Vail. In each one, a 70 inch plasma screen. So I suggest you wipe that stupid smile off your face before he comes over there and SMACKS it off! You feeling strong, my friend? Call him a 'recruiting expert' one more time.

He's an angry recruiting expert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

STATE OF RECRUITING 

As the Texas coaches continue trekking across the wide expanse for valuable face time at satellite camps, there's still some business in the immediate region.

RECEIVER

UT is hosting Austin Bowie wide receiver Elijah Higgins this weekend for an unofficial visit. The four-star stopped by campus last week to say 'hi' and will likely bring his family for this visit. Stanford is still the safe bet here, and he wants to visit Florida and maybe a few other schools, but the Horns are keeping the relationship with Higgins strong because...well, he's a take. A local one at that. 

Interestingly, per a coach in attendance, "Elijah Higgins was there (San Marcos satellite camp on Thursday) but obviously didn't work out. Came there to see Herman I think." 

Higgins has also expressed some interest in Ohio State, who was also attended the camp but didn't send its A-team. Said the coach, "Don't know who it was for them, though. Didn't recognize them."

San Marcos isn't far from Austin, obviously, but it is interesting Higgins made his way to 'Texas's cradle of intellect' (as it's commonly referred) to visit with Herman, who he'll also see this weekend. 

Aside the Higgins visit there won't be much action on the 40 Acres this weekend, other than the baseball team attempting to secure a trip to Omaha for the College World Series. 

Next week, however, could be big, starting on Tuesday. 

CORNER

Oregon pledge Marques Caldwell will be in Austin on Tuesday. After speaking to the Alvin native, it sounds like his days as a Duck could be numbered. A corner, Caldwell has long held the staff's attention. With Marcus Banks not happening (let A&M and LSU deal with that), the staff immediately pressed for the defensive back from the 'four corners' phylum. Texas feels like it has put itself in a great position to flip Caldwell. 

There’s been talk that Aledo-to-Mansfield Legacy plus+ athlete Jeffrey Carter is a consideration after the four-star corner named the Longhorns in his Top 4. We're told that’s not the case. Carter isn't seen as a good program fit and UT would be happy with a Kenyatta Watson-Marques Caldwell duo. Best guess: Carter lands at Alabama if they'll take him.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Another name to keep an eye out for is Katy Taylor offensive lineman and TCU commit, Andrew Coker. After the Branson Bragg news, Coker looks to be near the top of the big board. At 6-foot-7, 300 pounds, he has size you can't teach. He’s also got some mud dog to him and Herb Hand is a fan. How fun is it to flip one of Gary Patterson’s Horny Toads? Fun. Expect news of a visit to emerge at some point.

Texas is still keeping tabs on EJ Ndoma-Ogar, who is mostly settled on sticking with the Sooners. That's easily the most likely outcome, but interest in him could pick up. He still hears some from Texas, but schools still aggressively pursuing are Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Utah. 

UPCOMING VISITORS

Next weekend has the potential to be a nice recruiting turnout. Only two will be on official visits in safety Lewis Cine (who visits Penn State this weekend) and linebacker Rian Davis. 

The unofficial list should be even nicer. 

Offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd, 2020 Southern California safety Bryson Washington, and St. Louis all-purpose back Mookie Cooper are in talks to make the trip to Austin. We expect that list to grow. We’ll have more on that next week, but for now Texas has put itself in a good spot with both Shpeherd and Cooper, and Washington is certainly interested.

Shepherd is being recruited to compete at left tackle. This recruitment could result in a verbal sooner than initially expected. If so, the staff will still have to recruit through National Signing Day's whistle. We don't anticipate him visiting College Station any time soon (you never know, though).

Washington is yet another big talent at Mater Dei but he's a Texas transplant who likes Texas. He already holds an offer.

At 5-foot-9, 185 pounds, Cooper is simply electric. He can play running back, slot, and be a legitimate threat in the return game. I can see 2020 UT quarterback pledge Hudson Card coordinating his weekend and sticking to him like glue. We're not saying this will end up in a quick commitment, but Cooper is giving very positive feedback to the staff.

As for this weekend, the staff will be spread from Las Vegas to Los Angeles to Commerce, Texas.

We’ll be at the A&M Commerce Mega Camp on Saturday to see if Herman and company spot any under-the-radar seniors or upcoming juniors. 

Next weekend is the one to keep an eye on as it's starting to shape up as one of those must-see events for recruits on UT’s big board.

What does the Bragg news have to do with Coker? They project to completely different positions.

If anything, EJNO is now the guy we have to circle back to. We desperately need a center.

Long time lurker on Shaggy and Surly and first time poster. I have no recruiting intel whatsoever and will never have any. Not going to pay any 9'95ers so that I can cut and paste their content on Surly. Here for the gang bang with kandi and karen while I watch the shit show that's Surly.

Congratulations. You’ve just distinguished yourself as having the most worthless, time wasting post in surly history.
  • Like 3

Per E.J., Walker Little's family played a big role in selling Bragg on Stanford 😞

I feel like there isn't much confidence around Texas as there once was and it's likely he gets accepted next week. It is imperative for Texas to get him in for a visit to stop Stanford's momentum. But I'm told that's his mother's preference and the Walker Little family has been huge in helping advocate for Stanford.

Edited by satyanash

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Fuck it, I'll go. I got recruited by some of the Ivy schools and a couple of small little schools in the NE for football. So I talk to this guy at Dartmouth about a visit. It's November and I'm 17 and poor as fuck and also know that I have a kid on the way, potentially (definitely, it turned out), and I've got scholarships and shit to Texas on the academic side. So I'm like, "how does all of this work?" and he's like "based on all of the info at hand, we can cover half of your fully loaded costs with Pell grants. you would have to figure out how to make the other half of your expenses work. " and I say "how much are we talking about?" his answer "total expenses should come in around $30,000 a year". Click. Not really, I am sure I was nice in getting off the phone, but never took another college football recruiting call again. $15k to my family might as well have been $15million. 

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As well you should. The man took a sasquatch-level dump on our OL recruiting and 2017 performance. Allegedly, the Littles had to move out of there house and have the lower floor re-drywalled because of what transpired in that bathroom.

*their, dumbass.

No wonder you didn't get into Dartmouth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:
5 hours ago, Bevo said:

Trying to catch up. Is today a good recruiting day or a day of depression and angst?

I think we have our answer now. 

Right.  We learned CTJ was only 50% good enough to play in the Ivy League for college.  What could make the day better?

14 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

*their, dumbass.

No wonder you didn't get into Dartmouth.

Yikes. That's the grammar equivalent of one of your useless imgur debacles. And I chose not to go to Dartmouth, sir. That should make us all feel better. Imagine if I were an insufferable prick or something because of #HanoverLife.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Yikes. That's the grammar equivalent of one your useless imgur debacles. And I chose not to go to Dartmouth, sir. That should make us all feel better. Imagine if I were an insufferable prick or something because of #HanoverLife.

fc6a5ee942df3f8dc2c7bd4e145dbc49.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Fuck it, I'll go. I got recruited by some of the Ivy schools and a couple of small little schools in the NE for football. So I talk to this guy at Dartmouth about a visit. It's November and I'm 17 and poor as fuck and also know that I have a kid on the way, potentially (definitely, it turned out), and I've got scholarships and shit to Texas on the academic side. So I'm like, "how does all of this work?" and he's like "based on all of the info at hand, we can cover half of your fully loaded costs with Pell grants. you would have to figure out how to make the other half of your expenses work. " and I say "how much are we talking about?" his answer "total expenses should come in around $30,000 a year". Click. Not really, I am sure I was nice in getting off the phone, but never took another college football recruiting call again. $15k to my family might as well have been $15million. 

That is freakishly similiar to my story. Notre Dame offered me 8k a year. Leaving a gap of.....way more than I could ever beg or borrow for. I was devastated then at the reality that I could not afford to go my dream school. It turns out that going to Texas was the best thing that I could have ever done. 

Im here in Ithaca for the wife’s reunion at Cornell and I still think Texas is a better school than this place. 

It may not seem like it to Bragg but Texas would give him every academic and professional oportunity he could get at Stanford. 

1 minute ago, thepop said:

I hope we get Stanford in a bowl game soon.

Same here. Then the reason recruits choose Stanford is because they beat the fuck out of us in a bowl game, as opposed to a coach causing more devastation to a West Houston bathroom than Hurricane Harvey. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Do you think any of us needed you to waste  space on this thread with this take? Your view on things like this are a fucking given. 

That's ironic because you could say the same thing about your response to a satyanash post.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

CBs are coming in for Branson Bragg to Stanford now, including Wiltfong. It's done.

57 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

I'm disappointed in you, Branson.

57 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

Death, taxes, and losing Oline to Stanford. 

52 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Per E.J., Walker Little's family played a big role in selling Bragg on Stanford 😞

41 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

fify. Obi Eboh is not an O-line recruit.

34 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lets not forget top 5 pick Solomon Thomas.

28 minutes ago, Nope said:

Fuck...sounds like one loss just beat us twice (Walker Little).

Obligatory: 

2bq5yl.gif

• Like 1

I find it amusing that pretty much everyone on this board (sans Satyanash, probably) is chomping at the bit to welcome USC, which is absolutely loaded with talent and experience at every position (except for experience at QB) to DKR this September, but even the hypothetical of playing Stanford in a neutral site game sends us into the fetal position.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I find it amusing that pretty much everyone on this board (sans Satyanash, probably) is chomping at the bit to welcome USC, which is absolutely loaded with talent and experience at every position (except for experience at QB) to DKR this September, but even the hypothetical of playing Stanford in a neutral site game sends us into the fetal position.

I respect the hell out of David Shaw, and how he's able to prepare these guys for the NFL. But Stanford was 9-5 last year. They lost to San Diego fucking State. I'm not shaking in my boots. Something tells me Big Game Tommy would have the kids ready to give 'em some bidness.

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It might not have come across this way, but I was just being silly. I’d like to see the schedule filled with nothing but the best and the brightest, even if I know most would rather see a clearer path to the CFP. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’d like to see the schedule filled with nothing but the best and the brightest, even if I know most would rather see a clearer path to the CFP. 

I agree (I think); I like the way we've been scheduling now. If Mensa Tom can show some signs of being the offensive guru he supposed to be this season and beyond, we're set up to make some real noise in the postseason in a couple of years.

I love how I'm the third person to repeat apprehension about playing Stanford in five comments, yet everyone jumps on my statement in particular.

Anyway, Ellis' stock continues to rise. I disagree with Nahlin in that I think we offered him at the right time, before he started to resent us for not offering earlier like DaShaun White or Tommy Bush. Don't know about the other two WRs but I want Ellis.

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

I respect the hell out of David Shaw, and how he's able to prepare these guys for the NFL. But Stanford was 9-5 last year. They lost to San Diego fucking State. I'm not shaking in my boots. Something tells me Big Game Tommy would have the kids ready to give 'em some bidness.

Something tells me big game Tommy and his band of misfit toys, Beck and Mehrhime, need to worry about the offense scoring more than 10 points in regulation against the likes of USC, Ok. st, and TCU before they worry about giving Stanford the bidness. JFC every time I think about how inept our offense and offensive coaching were last year I get ragey. Time to get this mediation statement out so I can go drink. Have a Good Friday folks.  

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How is it that Stanford is the only school we seem to lose recruits to for academic reasons?  Never hear about cal or UCLA or Virginia getting Texas athletes for that stated reason.  I guess notre dame a little bit but that’s not even true. 

Those schools either suck (relatively speaking) at football and/or don't recruit nationally like Stanford does.