Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Where is the 'Baylor promised Hookfin he could play early' news coming from, again? I have a hard time believing A) an O-linemen is getting this sort of pitch and B) it's actually working.

You have access to this, don't you?

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Morning-Buzz-Texas-Longhorns-football-recruiting-Noah-Cain-Bru-McCoy-updates-shift-for-OL-target-Isaiah-Hookfin--126528116/

1 hour ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I guess it's hard to sell recruits on history I guess, but UT doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone except maybe USC when it comes to running backs that went on to do well at the next level. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of a single sec team that comes close. 

Georgia is about to have some really recent good examples.

Just now, Machinator said:

The bigger issue with Hookfin is why we we didn't have a better contingency plan if we knew this was going to be an issue (and did we have a contingency plan?).

We might have one up our sleeve ala Christian Jones. Our staff tends to be pretty quick on the contingency offers.

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Paysites trying to peddle false hope on recruits we really have lost already? Must be close to signing day. 

The Hookfin trend is really disturbing. We need to really hit on offensive recruits in 2020. 

Hookfin had an interview a month or so ago where he said playing as a freshman was one of the most important parts of his decision. Baylor’s telling him what he wants to hear. 

Just now, Machinator said:

I'm sure we can dig up one, but we probably need two or three. I don't consider Shepherd a solution.

You have to really consider Johnson as our only commit currently. If we miss on Coker and Hookfin that is really not a good position to be in. And it wont hurt us for 2-3 years from now but we have been down this path before. 

3 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

I was at that game at Standford Stadium (priori to renovation). Took a bus from San Francisco with a bunch of Exes. Great party  , shitty game (as you said), the Major couldn’t pull out the magic and we played lethargic the whole game. Tiger Woods made a sideline appearance too. 

I was at the game as well. Was working for tree at the time. The game felt like a frickin' home game there were so many Texas fans there. Sucked just like a home loss too.

Just now, Schulz2.0 said:

Hookfin had an interview a month or so ago where he said playing as a freshman was one of the most important parts of his decision. Baylor’s telling him what he wants to hear. 

That's idiotic for a skinny lineman who will need lots of development if he wants an NFL shot. Our staff might not have sold that well enough, but Hookfin's deluding himself.

1 minute ago, Orange&White said:

Now why in the absolute fuck would you go and post a gif of kathy fucking griffin in a bikini?

Let me get this straight. You have Kate Beckinsale in an ORANGE bikini, pushing a batshit crazy california bitch in a YELLOW bikini, and you are bitching about it? I didn't even realize that was Kathy Griffin, you need to evaluate your priorities. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The bigger issue with Hookfin is why we we didn't have a better contingency plan if we knew this was going to be an issue (and did we have a contingency plan?).

I'll wait until the class is signed but this is an issue i have as well.  OL and RB recruiting specifically.

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

You have to really consider Johnson as our only commit currently. If we miss on Coker and Hookfin that is really not a good position to be in. And it wont hurt us for 2-3 years from now but we have been down this path before. 

I agree.

I guess you could look at DL recruiting last year where we had 0 prospects signed after NSD1, but it felt like we had more irons in the fire. Maybe I'm wrong.

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We aint getting Hookfin.

If this comes down to the fact that Texas wants to RS him - and Baylor is promising him a chance to play as a freshman - then that kid is insane.

Some kids have moronic dads who give them bad advice about how they shouldn't redshirt when they're about 30 pounds too light

We could have lied to him and said he could compete right away, but then you're risking him pulling a Michael Williams or Jean Delance. 

Moral of the story is the kid's dad is an idiot who doesn't understand offensive line growth curves 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I agree.

I guess you could look at DL recruiting last year where we had 0 prospects signed after NSD1, but it felt like we had more irons in the fire. Maybe I'm wrong.

The one that came out of nowhere was Williams if I am not mistaken. Everyone else we were in on already. We do not even have names we have offered really past Coker and Hookfin. 

Just now, Newy25 said:

The one that came out of nowhere was Williams if I am not mistaken. Everyone else we were in on already. We do not even have names we have offered really past Coker and Hookfin. 

Right, Carson was a seemingly dead recruitment that Carrington revived, Ossai fell into our laps after Sumlin was fired (hat tip to Carrington again), Ojomo we offered in the fall, and Coburn was at least committed. I'll go back and see how many new offers we made after NSD1.

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

So I haven't kept up with millenial things. Now that the top 6% rule has been in effect at Texas for awhile, how do our academics stack up against Stanford? You would think Texas has just as many smart people as California.

My understanding is that within that top 6% we pretty much get our pick of the kids in the top .05% who were waitlisted by Stanford ....

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Right, Carson was a seemingly dead recruitment that Carrington revived, Ossai fell into our laps after Sumlin was fired (hat tip to Carrington again), Ojomo we offered in the fall, and Coburn was at least committed. I'll go back and see how many new offers we made after NSD1.

Looks like we offered 1 DL after NSD1 (Tyree Wilson) and one right before NSD1 (Courtre Alexander) who had already OV'd to Texas a week prior. Then there was the guy from the DC area who we ended up passing on and he signed with Syracuse.

A 2-man OL class would be tough to swallow. We would need to take like 7 or 8 next year and that becomes hard to juggle. The Feldman article at least gives you some hope that just grabbing some low 3-star or even a 2-star OL is as likely to produce an All-Conference player than the 4- and 5-star guys we are striking out on.

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I no longer want Hookfin. I want him to go to Baylor and play immediately so I can watch every Baylor game and laugh and laugh. 

Let's line him up across from Graham and Roach for a few snaps and see how that works out for him playing early. 

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

A 2-man OL class would be tough to swallow. We would need to take like 7 or 8 next year and that becomes hard to juggle. The Feldman article at least gives you some hope that just grabbing some low 3-star or even a 2-star OL is as likely to produce an All-Conference player than the 4- and 5-star guys we are striking out on.

It's not going to be a 2-man class.