Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

E.J. Holland: Texas adds commitment from JUCO LB Caleb Johnson

Texas has filled a big position of need. The Longhorns scored a recruiting win by reeling in a commitment from junior college linebacker Caleb Johnson on Monday night. Texas was considered the favorite for Johnson since his decommitment from Iowa State a few months ago, but the Longhorns had to fend off a late run from Oregon and a weekend official visit to Colorado. The Longhorns did a great job on their in-home visit last week, and Johnson felt comfortable on the Forty Acres.

Johnson picked Texas over offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Florida Atlantic, Iowa State, Marshall, Ole Miss, Oregon, San Diego State and Utah. Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando recruited Johnson, who is the fourth linebacker pledge in the Longhorns' 2019 class. Johnson will have three years of eligibility remaining after receiving a medical redshirt this season. At 6-foot-1, 215 pounds, Johnson is ranked as the No. 3 junior college outside linebacker in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

Wanted to get in before the Johnson news, but a little late.

If you want me to be pissed at the staff over misses on Bru and Sanders, it isn't happening.

Now, losing on Washington and Cain? I'd get pretty bent on that (higgins would lessen it), but for sure as fuck not Bru and Sanders. That was a huge freaking pipe dream no matter how far we got with Bru, which I believe was about as far as they could go.

Cain may be an outside shot here, but not gunna throw in the towel until he's ink'd, but missing on him + Hookfin would suck even more.

But whatever, not gunna dwell on that shit right now, Johnson is a huge fucking get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

IT Staff: Texas grabs JUCO LB from Cali

AUSTIN — With Texas’ two starting inside linebackers set to graduate, Tom Herman saw the need to find a prospect ready to compete upon arrival in Austin. He found one from the JUCO ranks in Fullerton College’s Caleb Johnson. Johnson, 6-foot-1, 220, committed to Texas today. Johnson had a previous commitment to Iowa State, and Texas beat finalists Arkansas, Oregon, and Colorado for Johnson’s verbal pledge. Johnson has three years of eligibility after redshirting this season. He has the potential to play immediately and would fit at Rover or B-backer in Todd Orlando’s schemes.

Excerpt from the Recruiting Notebook:

How he fits at Texas: Johnson is a quick fix to the very real problem that is Gary Johnson’s forthcoming graduation. He’s got similar size, great change of direction and speed even if it’s not quite at Johnson’s unworldly level. As a JUCO he already has valuable experience in college schemes and is the kind of “cover him up and let him run wild” rover that Todd Orlando’s D can really maximize. Shorter but quick guys like this are easy to find now but they don’t typically come with two years of college ball experience. – Ian Boyd

Coach says: Strengths — Arrives at the ball in a damned hurry with something to prove. Appears compactly built and thick through the lower body. Takes on blockers and runners willingly and appears quite fearless. Great range and shows some great motor plays in limited tape. Seems assignment sound and delivers a bit shock on his hits. 41 tackles with 8.5 for loss with 5.5 sacks seems about right based on what I see on film. Diagnoses plays quickly. A blitz weapon. Ready to transfer in spring 2019. Self-reported GPA pretty decent. Areas for Improvement/Concern — De-committed to Iowa State. Not much film on his pass coverage or ball skills. Would like to see this guy playing a little heavier but if he’s Gary Johnson 2.0, I would not care if they left him at this weight.

How this affects Texas: Johnson fits in multiple spots for this defense, but ultimately brings experience and age. This class needs more linebackers and Johnson can be one of those. Herman has no problem mining the junior colleges like with Gary Johnson, so this isn’t a surprise. He’s a December grad so he’d enroll in January, which is incredibly beneficial. – Justin Wells

Johnson becomes the 21st member of Texas’ 2019 class joining Jacoby Jones (Butler CC – KS), Myron Warren (Many – LA), Marcus Washington (Trinity Catholic – MO), David Gbenda (Cinco Ranch), Tyler Owens (Plano East), Derrian Brown (Buford – GA), Javonne Shepherd (North Forest), Marcus Tillman (Jones – FL), Marques Caldwell (Alvin), Chris Adimora (Lakewood – CA), Peter Mpagi (George Ranch), Jake Smith (Notre Dame Prep – AZ), Jared Wiley (Temple), Tyler Johnson (Conroe Oak Ridge), Brayden Liebrock (Chandler – AZ), Kenyatta Watson II (Grayson – GA), De’Gabriel Floyd (Westlake – CA), Jordan Whittington (Cuero), T’Vondre Sweat (Huntsville), and Roschon Johnson (Port Neches-Groves).

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

What is aggy about celebrating a close loss in which you know you were classier and more dignified than the people who beat you?  

What are you going to say next? Is it aggy to take a girl’s sweater to the dry cleaners to get her boyfriend’s jizz stain out of it when she asks you because she’s too busy to do it herself, or does it just mean all your hard work wooing her has paid off and now you’re a valued friend that she trusts with intimate matters and you’ll be right there in the mix when she finally comes around?  Some of you people are so glass half empty.

if the jizz came from a jar, and the sweater is made of wool, and the wool came from a sheep, then yes, indeed, it is aggy

Possible starting 11 on defense in nickel next season:

Graham-Wilbon-Bimage Roach

C. Johnson-Floyd-McCulloch

Cook-J. Thompson-Jones-Sterns-Green

Hard to imagine a best 11 that doesn't involve BJ Foster, so do we play mostly dime next year again?

Edit: duh, forgot about Roach. Sub him in for Bimage.

Edited by Machinator

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Possible starting 11 on defense in nickel next season:

Graham-Wilbon-Bimage

C. Johnson-Floyd-McCulloch

Cook-J. Thompson-Jones-Sterns-Green

Hard to imagine a best 11 that doesn't involve BJ Foster, so do we play mostly dime next year again?

Roach?  I think he'll be over Bimage.  I'm not even sure he'll be ready for spring ball?? Maybe Coburn pushes Wilbon.

4 hours ago, NoName said:

so same reason as Foster is unlikely to be there...

covering all DBs on the roster currently:

• Thompson = nickel guy?
  • Cook, Green, Boyce = outside CBs 
  • Foster, Brown, Overshown (covering all the bases here) = can't cover slot guys downfield 
  • Jones, Sterns = more important in a different role, even if they can cover those guys downfield
  • Jamison = offense? can he handle the run requirements?
  • Duvernay, Estell = ???

incoming recruits:

• Caldwell, Watson II = outside CB
  • Owens = safety?
  • Adimora = potentially an option?

It could also be that we try and get our best  DBs on the field, and to do that we go with Foster at Field, B Jones at Boundary with Wolf at Nickel. 

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm not saying Sanders is coming to Texas but he seems pretty indecisive on where he wants to play. 

He's signing Wed? 

If Texas isn't the choice Texas should be working to get him to just wait until the 2nd signing period. 

get real, bro.  if sanders picks texas I’ll cut off my dick and eat it.  

figuratively, of course. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It’s a fun meme, but I’m probably the least fucked up regular on this site. I’ve also been telling this entire site for months that we were utterly fucked on both McCoy and Sanders. The staff’s been absurdly overconfident and so have all the $9.95ers that get fed bullshit from Carrington and others. Literally no news has occurred this afternoon outside of Stevenson committing. 

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

Justin Fields is transferring.  Maybe he wants to be our RB.

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

giphy.webp