Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

33 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

if by whatever reason means we didn't want to pay his asking price, then yea, that's right.

I had just started kinda sorta peripherally following recruiting at this point, so I had no idea. All I knew was that we had stopped recruiting him, so huge if true.

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

For all the doom and gloom only Bama', Georgia, and tOSU currently have a higher composite average than Texas.

There's no doom and gloom in the medium term. We're going to have a good class regardless of what happens in College Station, Norman, Baton Rouge, etc. unless we shit our pants this season in a manner that makes the posters on ScattyTexas blush. But the ceiling of this class is dependent on landing the absolute stud prospects in Texas, like Leal and Wilson. There's no way to spin losing out on them, if that's what happens.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Nope.  Him and Shepherd are coming.  Let's get Johnson and Bragg and have the great wall of Austin in town.

I guess it's time for Brewster to bail out The Marine. He's a tireless recruiter and never sleeps. - Looch probably 

Wilkins isn't on Hand. The early returns are pretty good. 

Slowing down Green's process was no easy task. 

If Wilkins is a silent to OU as we all assume he is, that has to help with Shepherd. I think OU was always the stealth threat. 

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Speaking of Wilkins, he told Roach he wants to make an official visit this spring. May 4th is most likely date. 

He told TFB that he's visiting Bama next week then committing soon after, so we'll see. 

Because of all the pro-A&M influences around him, I'll remain skeptical about Green until he signs. But the staff is doing a great job chipping away with that one.

And, if we don't land him, we need to attack the OT transfer market with the same fervor we did in the 2018 cycle. The two-deep of Cosmi/Kerstetter/Urquidez/Moore/Angilau(?) isn't inspiring for the 2019 season. Johnson and Shepherd will both need seasoning, and Moore might not be ready even with a redshirt, while knows what Urquidez will be.

Wilkins has always seemed like a very long shot. I’d focus on trying to get the Texas 4 (even though Wilkins has a crazy high ceiling and likely ends up being the best OT out of all of them). Even if we can’t end up pulling Green, if we could get the other 3 plus a late riser, that would go a long, long way towards fixing the OL, especially when combined with last years class. We haven’t had hauls like that in consecutive years in a long time.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Crazy that Herman doesn't even consider the spring game to be a big visit weekend.

Yeah. Only 2 of the 22 are officials. Garrett Wilson and Tre Watson.

Seems like a good sign when that many guys are wanting to be in town on their own dime.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

For all the doom and gloom only Bama', Georgia, and tOSU currently have a higher composite average than Texas.

Well there’s 22ish spots available, and we’d like to keep or improve upon the composite average by getting the best 22 we can, and as few 2nd and 3rd choices as possible. Capice?

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Because of all the pro-A&M influences around him, I'll remain skeptical about Green until he signs. But the staff is doing a great job chipping away with that one.

And, if we don't land him, we need to attack the OT transfer market with the same fervor we did in the 2018 cycle. The two-deep of Cosmi/Kerstetter/Urquidez/Moore/Angilau(?) isn't inspiring for the 2019 season. Johnson and Shepherd will both need seasoning, and Moore might not be ready even with a redshirt, while knows what Urquidez will be.

I don't think Green should really make a difference if you're concerned about next year. I think he could play guard early, but he'd struggle at tackle

Okafor should be included in the tackle two deep. If Kerstetter moves to center, then you still have likely Cosmi (assuming he progreses) and Okafor starting lineup, but not much behind them, so I agree that looking at the juco/grad transfer market might happen again

To me, out of the high school guys Wilkins looks like the guy who can play early if absolutely necessary

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I don't think Green should really make a difference if you're concerned about next year. I think he could play guard early, but he'd struggle at tackle

Okafor should be included in the tackle two deep. If Kerstetter moves to center, then you still have likely Cosmi (assuming he progreses) and Okafor starting lineup, but not much behind them, so I agree that looking at the juco/grad transfer market might happen again

To me, out of the high school guys Wilkins looks like the guy who can play early if absolutely necessary

I don't buy Okafor as a tackle.

Edited by Machinator

10 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Wilkins has always seemed like a very long shot. I’d focus on trying to get the Texas 4 (even though Wilkins has a crazy high ceiling and likely ends up being the best OT out of all of them). Even if we can’t end up pulling Green, if we could get the other 3 plus a late riser, that would go a long, long way towards fixing the OL, especially when combined with last years class. We haven’t had hauls like that in consecutive years in a long time.

Nothing wrong with landing a late riser/hidden gem to the core of your OL class, especially if you trust your OL coach to evaluate and develop 

39 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Speaking of Wilkins, he told Roach he wants to make an official visit this spring. May 4th is most likely date. 

Must be a Star Wars fan.  Arrange for a private screening of Solo and add him to the calculator.

3 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Hooooly shiiiiiiit. Dude can almost definitely play corner with those numbers. Combine that with his frame and level of play and he seems pretty underrated.

I'd be pissed about the fact that he's not in 247's top 500 right now, but then I noticed his ranking is 512. #alignment

• Like 4