what do you think accounts does, besides limit your brilliance?

henrygandorf

2 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:

Did the whole Lee Garner Jr. And Sal thing seem forced to anybody else? Seemed like a cop out to get rid of Sal. It was never really mentioned again.

i used to not like it, but now i do, and here's why.

don knows something about sal.  he saw him with the hotel clerk in baltimore.  he kept it quiet.  when the time came, don questioned sal, and the whole conversation with, "but nothing happened, because nothing could've happened...because, you're married."  which also brought up the politics at the time when sal says, "what if this happened and i was a woman."  to which don replies, "well, that would depend on what kind of girl she was, and what i knew about her." 

it was a leverage conversation.  lee garner's account could shut down sterling-coo and everyone knew that.  much of s2-s4 was about getting out from under the lucky strike choke-hold.  lee strong-armed sal out of the building because he was embarrassed (which i'm sure was a take on closeted homosexuality in the early 60's as well).  it also included a fantastic harry crane scene with the "well i can tell you what i'm not going to do, is panic and do something stupid like i usually do."  it also reinforced the power structure in the office, as harry's screw-up made it a no-brainer for roger/don to let sal go - "when something happens, you go tell mommy and daddy."

then the leverage gets turned around on don, as cooper waits for him in his own office.  "would you say that i know something about you?"  right before don finally signs his contract ("after all, who's really signing this anyway?").  signing that ensured hilton's business, which set off the chain that led to the events in "shut the door, have a seat" where they got lane to fire them all.

the sal scene on its own wasn't executed flawlessly, but it was a crucial part of the maturation of that plot line, the power dynamics in the office, and the eventual freedom of sterling-coopers core team after the brits took over - if cooper doesn't lean on don, he likely just bails.

weiner was incredibly adept at building these things over time.  the duck phillips arc from s2 until "the suitcase" was fucking brilliant.  the more distance i get from this show, the more it becomes my favorite drama of all time.  season 3 is definitely my desert island season.

• Like 2

don knows something about sal.  he saw him with the hotel clerk in baltimore.  he kept it quiet.  when the time came, don questioned sal, and the whole conversation with, "but nothing happened, because nothing could've happened...because, you're married."  which also brought up the politics at the time when sal says, "what if this happened and i was a woman."  to which don replies, "well, that would depend on what kind of girl she was, and what i knew about her." 
it was a leverage conversation.  lee garner's account could shut down sterling-coo and everyone knew that.  much of s2-s4 was about getting out from under the lucky strike choke-hold.  lee strong-armed sal out of the building because he was embarrassed (which i'm sure was a take on closeted homosexuality in the early 60's as well).  it also included a fantastic harry crane scene with the "well i can tell you what i'm not going to do, is panic and do something stupid like i usually do."  it also reinforced the power structure in the office, as harry's screw-up made it a no-brainer for roger/don to let sal go - "when something happens, you go tell mommy and daddy."
then the leverage gets turned around on don, as cooper waits for him in his own office.  "would you say that i know something about you?"  right before don finally signs his contract ("after all, who's really signing this anyway?").  signing that ensured hilton's business, which set off the chain that led to the events in "shut the door, have a seat" where they got lane to fire them all.
the sal scene on its own wasn't executed flawlessly, but it was a crucial part of the maturation of that plot line, the power dynamics in the office, and the eventual freedom of sterling-coopers core team after the brits took over - if cooper doesn't lean on don, he likely just bails.
weiner was incredibly adept at building these things over time.  the duck phillips arc from s2 until "the suitcase" was fucking brilliant.  the more distance i get from this show, the more it becomes my favorite drama of all time.  season 3 is definitely my desert island season.

I get why it was important and led to the whole string of events you just laid out. It was well documented how much of a spoiled child lee was going all the way back to the "its toasted" tag line but was there ever any indication he was bi curious? Just seems like they could have set that up a little better. Like they could have borrowed the Rawls in the day bar scene from the wire except with a payoff.

31 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

Read more  

I get why it was important and led to the whole string of events you just laid out. It was well documented how much of a spoiled child lee was going all the way back to the "its toasted" tag line but was there ever any indication he was bi curious? Just seems like they could have set that up a little better. Like they could have borrowed the Rawls in the day bar scene from the wire except with a payoff.

if your issue is that we never knew lgj was gay and they kinda threw it at us out of nowhere, i guess i see your point.  but he certainly wasn't a big enough character to notice.  and i think that was more of a sign of the times that even guys who knew they were gay still acted straight and got married, then fooled around on the side, as i'm sure lee did whenever he was in the city.  i'm not saying that weiner knew when the show started that he would have that scene happen, but sal had the proper lead up, and i still like the way the whole thing went down.

back to season 3, one of my favorite exchanges that starts in the elevator but eventually gets into the bullpen at sc.

hot as hell already.

yes it is.

i watched the sunrise today, i couldn't sleep.

how was it?

average. (beat)  ogilvie wrote a book.  i got the galleys.  they want a quote or something.  advertising is already up there with lawyers as the most reviled.  this will not help.

it'll help him.

it's called confessions of an ad man.

i like the title.

please.  it's the book everybody writes, only he got it published.  it should be called 'a thousand reasons i'm so great'.

publishing it himself?

no, atheneum.  i'll send it over.  i don't want you to buy it.

sterling is so bitter and sassy at the end as they part ways it cracks me up.  it's right when draper goes to his office to find the gang waiting outside, because hilton is in there.  "we were waiting he blew right past us."  lulz at harry crane.

also it should be noted, that even though draper and sterling arrive at the same time, they're both ~15 minutes late for work.

I dont owe you anything. You inherited the account.
LGJ always made Roger his bitch.

Also I thought a very underrated scene is when Roger gets home to Jane sitting on the couch and shes all excited that his box or sterlings gold came and she has him autograph one for him. The general look of defeat on his face is great. To my loving wife...

How has nobody made a gif/meme of Don and Lane sitting outside the Asian Orchid massage parlor in Florida with the caption, “you know what’s going on here, don’t you?     Hand jobs.”   ???

• 2 weeks later...

you think there's something feminine about it?  my father was the tallest, handsomest, vainest man in new york, and he got his nails done.  he had his fourth coronary behind the wheel, and hit a tree.  the windshield severed his arm.  and he was dead, so they never put it back on.  in the casket he had one hand, the nails were perfect.

i don't believe that story.

ok he hit another car, not a tree.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

This string of quotes just kills me.....

“Have a drink. It’ll make me look younger.” (S4, E5)

“I told him to be himself. That was pretty mean, I guess.” (S4, E6)

“I can’t say I know my furs that well. I know my mother had a chinchilla; I was always on the verge of a romantic relationship with it.” (S4, E6)

(Woman in bar: “Is that Don Draper? Is he attached?”) “To that glass? Absolutely.” (S4, E6)

https://www.vulture.com/2013/04/mad-men-complete-quips-of-roger-sterling.html

I just finished rewatching seasons 3-7.  I'm in a different place in life and frame of mind than the last time I watched it.  I'd like to buy the world a Coke.  I want to move on to another show, but I also kind of want to go back for seasons 1 and 2.  Starting at season 3 was an arbitrary choice so that I wouldn't get bored with the pilot.

Also: “Have another. It’s 9:30, for God’s sake.” (S3, E13)

• Hook 'Em 1