Pigs @ Texas Series

TrashMaster G

36 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I know we are getting creamed but it is still only the third inning. I am interested to see how our "lack of hitting" does in this situation.

Well so far it is looking much better.  Still a ways to go but a lot of game left.    

Not saying we win tomorrow but we will be in a much better position to win. Arkansas is burning their midweek guy so they will be in a similar position tomorrow like we are tonight.

Bocchi has a better chance of giving us extended innings assuming Pierce starts him tomorrow night. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I was told our hitting approach sucked.

It does, I get told not to overreact on this board a lot, how about we not overreact to one inning. Caston put a hell of a swing on that, one of the hardest hit balls I've seen hit at the Disch

2017: .252 avg

2018: .271 avg (.260 with out Kody)

2019: .249 avg coming into tonight

Edited by chase25

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

It does, I get told not to overreact on this board a lot, how about we not overreact to one inning. Caston put a hell of a swing on that, one of the hardest hit balls I've seen hit at the Disch

Hitting approach is fine except for Zubia, who's not pulling his weight and chasing absolute garbage in his ABs. We're just not a very talented hitting ballclub.

Duke is seeing ghosts as well, that needs to stop.

Edited by Machinator

well this team has shown a propensity to not give up.  another 4 run inning next inning would make this interesting assuming we can hold.  that Ford check swing is pretty bad.  guy is ge, ting hit.the last thing you want to do is check swing

5 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Everyone knows we aren't that great of a hitting team after losing Hamilton and Petrinsky. 

It's the chicken little bullshit of "we we will be lucky to finish top 3 in conference" after we just beat the Big 12 favorites two days ago. Maybe you end up being right but jesus at least wait until we start stacking losses to Big 12 teams. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Hitting approach is fine except for Zubia, who's not pulling his weight and chasing absolute garbage in his ABs. We're just not a very talented hitting ballclub.

Duke is seeing ghosts as well, that needs to stop.

Agree to disagree, this team goes into long stretches where they get lulled into looking for walks, and you can tell with the amount of hitters count pitches we take. Baseball giveth and it taketh but I'd much rather see our guys go up hacking like Arkansas in hitters counts as opposed to our approach which is to take take take.

4 minutes ago, chase25 said:

So what? Batting average tells you very little.

Not saying we win tomorrow but we will be in a much better position to win. Arkansas is burning their midweek guy so they will be in a similar position tomorrow like we are tonight.
Bocchi has a better chance of giving us extended innings assuming Pierce starts him tomorrow night. 

Pigs are playing the worst team in the SEC west this weekend so they have a little more flexibility in their rotation for this series
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Agree to disagree, this team goes into long stretches where they get lulled into looking for walks, and you can tell with the amount of hitters count pitches we take. Baseball giveth and it taketh but I'd much rather see our guys go up hacking like Arkansas in hitters counts as opposed to our approach which is to take take take.

That is actually an improvement.  For a couple of the last Augie years, we couldn't even get a walk.  We'd have 3-4 pitch Ks with maybe 1 strike actually thrown.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

That is actually an improvement.  For a couple of the last Augie years, we couldn't even get a walk.  We'd have 3-4 pitch Ks with maybe 1 strike actually thrown.

Which is why at no point in my post did I say go up there hacking at everything.

Just now, chase25 said:

Which is why at no point in my post did I say go up there hacking at everything.

I think Pierce has improved existing/Augie-recruited talent at the plate and after we get a few more classes "through," our hitting may be substantially decent.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think Pierce has improved existing/Augie-recruited talent at the plate and after we get a few more classes "through," our hitting may be substantially decent.

Hopefully, everybody agrees that the team was left pretty thin when Augie left.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Tough to reach many conclusions on hitting this year. We lost 2 of our best hitters to injury in Hamilton and Petrinsky. 

This team was already short on talent/depth so they couldn't take injury hits like that. 

The good news is it should help next year with Petrinsky returning and all these FR getting experience.