2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

I think the O/U on number of first round picks that the T-Wolves will need to attach to Wiggins to make him attractive to other teams is 13.5.

Haha. at least one, odds are that player wont be as good as Russell and getting rid of Wiggins is a huge plus.

Maybe they can ship him to Canada, Raptors trade Kawhi to NJ, NJ trades Russell to Minny

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Haha. at least one, odds are that player wont be as good as Russell and getting rid of Wiggins is a huge plus.

Maybe they can ship him to Canada, Raptors trade Kawhi to NJ, NJ trades Russell to Minny

Are you saying you think minny can get rid of him for one? 

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Remember when everyone said the Cavs were stupid to trade Wiggins for Love, how Wiggins could be an elite defender. I recall saying Wiggins would never be as good as Love was right then.

Wow, man. You are a total internet badass. Good job.

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

If Minny can manage to unload Wiggins, I think that would make them FA winners and the team with the best offseason, regardless of what happens elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Remember when everyone said the Cavs were stupid to trade Wiggins for Love, how Wiggins could be an elite defender. I recall saying Wiggins would never be as good as Love was right then.

Youre the biggest fan of Andrew on this site and the old site. Stop trying to twist it around on us

Looks like Klay may be getting a max deal with gsw.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-warriors-set-sign-thompson-173118965.html

Klay Thompson plans to keep splashing 3-pointers by the bay.

The Golden State Warriors are prepared to sign Thompson to a five-year, $190 million maximum contract, according to multiple reports. The Warriors are sending a front-office contingent to Los Angeles to visit Thompson as the NBA free-agent signing period is set to begin Sunday evening.

Thompson has reportedly indicated he would return to the Warriors if a max deal was offered.

Thompson, 29, has spent his entire eight-season career with the Warriors. He has averaged at least 20 points per game in each of the last five seasons and played a key role in the Warriors' championships in 2015, 2017 and 2018 as one of the "Splash Brothers" alongside Stephen Curry.

The Los Angeles native tore his left ACL during Game 6 of this year's NBA Finals and is expected to be out until at least February or March of next season.

Warriors coach Steve Kerr routinely has praised Thompson, who also earned a spot on the NBA's All-Defensive Team this season.

"When you factor in what he does offensively, I think he probably covers more ground than anybody in the league," Kerr said before the start of the NBA Finals. "And I know you can look that up these days with the tracking system that we have now in all the arenas, but the guy's a machine. It's incredible how he moves offensively and then pursues his man defensively.

"(He) usually plays on the ball defensively, does a lot of switching, guards post men after the switch. The physical stamina that Klay displays is amazing. Leads us in minutes, minutes played, so he's just a machine out there."

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Slim chance, but possible:

So if the Knicks have shown interest in Rozier..if they sign him to a qualifying offer, I suppose boston can just let em stew on it for the first few FA days while other teams make moves and NY doesnt know whether or not they have TR?

11 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So if the Knicks have shown interest in Rozier..if they sign him to a qualifying offer, I suppose boston can just let em stew on it for the first few FA days while other teams make moves and NY doesnt know whether or not they have TR?

Boston will have to rescind in the coming days after Walker commits.  They don't have the room otherwise.

Did the same thing in 2017 with Kelly Olynyk.  The Celts tendered him a qualifying offer, then once Hayward was onboard, they then rescinded the offer.

The Knicks could tender an offer, but the Knicks also know he will be unrestricted soon enough.  

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Boston will have to rescind in the coming days after Walker commits.  They don't have the room otherwise.

Did the same thing in 2017 with Kelly Olynyk.  The Celts tendered him a qualifying offer, then once Hayward was onboard, they then rescinded the offer.

The Knicks could tender an offer, but the Knicks also know he will be unrestricted soon enough.  

Ok so once Walker committs,  the RFA label is lifted and theres no time table because Boston would be over?

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ok so once Walker committs,  the RFA label is lifted and theres no time table because Boston would be over?

The RFA label is lifted only after Boston says so.  Remember, Walker committing means nothing (DeAndre Jordan to the Mavericks?)   The rescind date is the 7th, I believe.  Boston could drag that out until then if they wanted to first get Walkers signature on a contract on the 6th.

EDIT:  I'm kinda fuzzy right now on some of this. Watching a 6 & 8 year old on a Saturday afternoon; well, there's only so much SpongeBob before your mind starts to wander.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

6 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

So everyone is thinking it but I guess I'll be the one who asks it - is 29 year old Kemba at $35 million a year for the next four good value?

Probably good value for the next 2 years, but after that.... hard to say.  One thing Walker has had (to this point of his career) that Irving doesn't have is he's been healthy.  

17 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Boston will have to rescind in the coming days after Walker commits.  They don't have the room otherwise.  Did the same thing in 2017 with Kelly Olynyk.  The Celts tendered him a qualifying offer, then once Hayward was onboard, they then rescinded the offer.  The Knicks could tender an offer, but the Knicks also know he will be unrestricted soon enough.  

Are you sure Boston can't free up enough room to hang onto Rozier till a sign and trade can be worked out??  Thought I saw someone familiar cap #'s speculate that Celtics might be able to get creative....

Also this....

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Are you sure Boston can't free up enough room to hang onto Rozier till a sign and trade can be worked out??  Thought I saw someone familiar cap #'s speculate that Celtics might be able to get creative....

Also this....

Nope, not enough to do that plus sign Walker.  

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/6/27/18760112/reset-boston-celtics-cap-sheet-nba-free-agency-kemba-walker-kyrie-irving-al-horford-enes-kanter

Path 1

This direction means every free agent is renounced. That opens up approximately $34.1 million in cap space for the Celtics. That’s just enough to offer a player with 7-9 years of service a max deal starting at $32.7 million. Hey! That’s exactly where Kemba Walker falls! What a coincidence! Dallas News’ Brad Townsend reported on Wednesday that the Celtics are the frontrunners for Walker’s services with his former team, the Hornets, second and the Mavericks, Lakers, and Knicks still interested.

Now, to be clear, this path would cost Boston most, if not all, of their free agents. Let’s assume Irving is out the door anyway. But what about Horford? Could the Celtics then re-sign him after giving a max deal to someone like Walker? In theory, yes. But the max they could give Horford would be $4.76 million via the Room Exception.

Path 2

This one is pretty simple. Let’s assume all the main free agents are again gone, but this time around the Celtics keep Rozier on the books. Let’s assume that Walker is a pipe-dream and not happening. That means the Celtics still need a point guard who can be a primary ballhandler. Despite the way fans might feel about Rozier at the moment, he could still be that guy. In addition, it would be very unlike Danny Ainge to simply let him walk.

In this scenario, Boston still clears all of their free agents, minus Rozier. With his $9.2 million cap hold, that leaves the Celtics with $25.8 million in cap space to spend. And they could spend all of that space then re-sign Rozier after they are done using his Bird Rights. That takes Boston out of the mix for a max free agent, but there are a lot of good players available that almost $26 million could be split up among to build out the roster.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Can Celtics do a sign and trade with Rosier??

Not unless they actually sign him to a deal.    If he gets an offer sheet and they match they cannot then trade him.    If he remains on the qualifying offer for next yr he can veto any trade cause his Bird rights would not transfer with the trade