2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Sorry for my ignorance.... 

1)  Is this Russell situation any different from Boston and Rozier??

2) What's Russell's benefit in a sign and trade vs being renounced as a FA by Nets??

Yes the same as Rozier in the fact that the Nets would have to sign him.    If Russell gets an offer sheet, the Nets can only match or let him walk for nothing.    If they match, they cannot trade him for a yr.

His benefit to allowing a S&T would be he can get to a team that is over the cap and cannot actually sign him.   Like Jimmy Butler is reportedly wanting to do to get to HOU.   If he is renounced, he becomes an unrestricted FA and can only sign with a team that has cap space free to sign him.

Edited by d2o

Looks like Klay may be getting a max deal with gsw.
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-warriors-set-sign-thompson-173118965.html
Klay Thompson plans to keep splashing 3-pointers by the bay.

The Golden State Warriors are prepared to sign Thompson to a five-year, $190 million maximum contract, according to multiple reports. The Warriors are sending a front-office contingent to Los Angeles to visit Thompson as the NBA free-agent signing period is set to begin Sunday evening.

Thompson has reportedly indicated he would return to the Warriors if a max deal was offered.

Thompson, 29, has spent his entire eight-season career with the Warriors. He has averaged at least 20 points per game in each of the last five seasons and played a key role in the Warriors' championships in 2015, 2017 and 2018 as one of the "Splash Brothers" alongside Stephen Curry.

The Los Angeles native tore his left ACL during Game 6 of this year's NBA Finals and is expected to be out until at least February or March of next season.

Warriors coach Steve Kerr routinely has praised Thompson, who also earned a spot on the NBA's All-Defensive Team this season.

"When you factor in what he does offensively, I think he probably covers more ground than anybody in the league," Kerr said before the start of the NBA Finals. "And I know you can look that up these days with the tracking system that we have now in all the arenas, but the guy's a machine. It's incredible how he moves offensively and then pursues his man defensively.

"(He) usually plays on the ball defensively, does a lot of switching, guards post men after the switch. The physical stamina that Klay displays is amazing. Leads us in minutes, minutes played, so he's just a machine out there."

I think he is the most important current GSW player... can't win if he's not doing his thing.

not the best player, but the most important, because of how much he does... I hope his acl gets right. I enjoy watching his game.

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Thank you. Dude had one two week run in the early rounds of the playoffs where he passed as a serviceable starting point guard, and he talks like he'd be great if he just got the minutes.

Yeah a friend asked me if I wanted him down here  and I was like........

do-not-want-36659555.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yes the same as Rozier in the fact that the Nets would have to sign him.    If Russell gets an offer sheet, the Nets can only match or let him walk for nothing.    If they match, they cannot trade him for a yr. His benefit to allowing a S&T would be he can get to a team that is over the cap and cannot actually sign him.   Like Jimmy Butler is reportedly wanting to do to get to HOU.   If he is renounced, he becomes an unrestricted FA and can only sign with a team that has cap space free to sign him.

giphy.gif

Really appreciate it  @d2o  !!! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

Got real quiet all of a sudden.   Wonder if the league spoke to some of these people tweeting

Nah. Story on the World Wide Leader with a timestamp of 6:39 central

https://es.pn/2XcbEt2

Six-time All-Star free agent guard Kyrie Irving is meeting with the Brooklyn Nets on Sunday in New York with both sides motivated to reach a deal on a four-year, $141 million maximum contract, league sources told ESPN.

Irving, who's leaving the Boston Celtics, is a part of a bold two-part plan to acquire Irving and All-NBA forward Kevin Durant in free agency, league sources tell ESPN. Irving plans to leave the Celtics, where he was traded two years ago from the Cleveland Cavaliers. Irving is a native of South Orange, NJ, which is in the Tri-State area.

28 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Sauces!

Yeah, I've never really bought Kawhi staying in Toronto on a 1+1. I'm sure the LA teams are telling him that they can't keep their cap room open another year on the hope that he comes then. Next year's FA class isn't great, so neither team would risk missing out on a player a tier below Kawhi this offseason just to play the waiting game.

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, I've never really bought Kawhi staying in Toronto on a 1+1. I'm sure the LA teams are telling him that they can't keep their cap room open another year on the hope that he comes then. Next year's FA class isn't great, so neither team would risk missing out on a player a tier below Kawhi this offseason just to play the waiting game.

Who are the Clippers going to sign if they strike out on Kawhi?  Who is coming without him?

8 hours ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

What’s the latest with Brogdon? Seems quiet on that front. 

He's an RFA.   Won't heat up on him until after the 6th when teams can actually sign him to an offer sheet.   the 48 hr window for MIL to match does not start until he actually sign the offer sheet and obviously that can't happen until then

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I did not realize Mirotic was only 28 - it seems he's been around forever.  Like Michigan State's Aloyssius Anagonye (sp?) back in the day.

Didn’t the Russian guy who played for Utah about 10 to 15 years ago do the same thing and leave during his prime. I believe he came back after a year or two though.

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Those totals are just dumb. No player is worth 57 mill for one season.

A few years ago, Kevin Pelton (one of the better basketball writers out there) suggested that if there was no salary cap, Lebron would be worth over $100 million a year.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/lebron-james-worth-100-million-year/story?id=40249184

7 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

A few years ago, Kevin Pelton (one of the better basketball writers out there) suggested that if there was no salary cap, Lebron would be worth over $100 million a year.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/lebron-james-worth-100-million-year/story?id=40249184

If there was no salary cap it's different because you can fill out the rest of your roster. 57 mill when the salary cap will probably be less than it is right now will be retarded. you'll have Giannis and like 4 other guys making crap.