2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If there was no salary cap it's different because you can fill out the rest of your roster. 57 mill when the salary cap will probably be less than it is right now will be retarded. you'll have Giannis and like 4 other guys making crap.

Man, you Rocket fans are still quite bitter about the MVP vote, huh?

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If there was no salary cap it's different because you can fill out the rest of your roster. 57 mill when the salary cap will probably be less than it is right now will be retarded. you'll have Giannis and like 4 other guys making crap.

what makes you suggest this?

13 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Man, you Rocket fans are still quite bitter about the MVP vote, huh?

If you want to make it about that sure, but being objective i'm not sure how anyone would think Giannis is worth 57 mill with a salary cap in place. A prime MJ or Lebron is all I would say yes too for that much, i'm not saying Giannis sucks but for 57 mill you better lead me to multiple titles and i'm not sure Giannis or Harden or some of these guys could do that.

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

name a few, please

Espn? Bobby Marks? guys that talk about it? do you watch tv? when your Cap is 109-116 mill(2019-2020-2021-2022 projection) for an entire Roster and one guy is eating up 57 mill of that how is that good? Also every year they have projected a higher cap then as it gets closer they lower it 1 mill or close to that. I didn't say it was gonna be astronomically lower than ever before. Again, outside of a prime MJ or Lebron no one is worth almost 50% of your teams cap space, unless there was no cap then who cares.

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Espn? Bobby Marks? guys that talk about it? do you watch tv? when your Cap is 109-116 mill(2019-2020-2021-2022 projection) for an entire Roster and one guy is eating up 57 mill of that how is that good? Also every year they have projected a higher cap then as it gets closer they lower it 1 mill or close to that. I didn't say it was gonna be astronomically lower than ever before. Again, outside of a prime MJ or Lebron no one is worth almost 50% of your teams cap space, unless there was no cap then who cares.

A. No need to be defensive.

B. I do pay attention to this stuff. And the idea that the cap is going to be less than $109mm in 2024-25 is so far in the opposite direction of any projection I've ever seen, I was curious which experts had expressed that idea. Marks' recent tweet notes projected cap of $117mm for 2020-21, btw. 

C. I didn't mention the Giannis contract.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That is a bad take, the super max deals are based off percentages of the overall cap. If the cap reduces so does the salary.

Nope. It's capped at 35% of the cap the first year, bu then allows for 8% raises each year after, regardless of the salary cap. 

4 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Why would the cap be less?

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nope. It's capped at 35% of the cap the first year, bu then allows for 8% raises each year after, regardless of the salary cap. 

Key word "allows".   All max deals are based on the percentages of the cap.   If the cap was to magically go down so would the salaries.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Can Kawhi and KD sign shorter contracts with other teams like NY, BRKLN, LA or Clips??

Might be crazy, but a 1+1 with the Lakers might be attractive for Kawhi if it's even an option...

They could do it.   Not sure why it would be advantageous for them to do so.   Particularly if its Kawhi, the only place a 1+1 makes any sort of sense is back in TOR so he can run it back and try to win again then still have his option to dip next summer.

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

Key word "allows".   All max deals are based on the percentages of the cap.   If the cap was to magically go down so would the salaries.

I don't think that's correct, but the NBA salary cap is about as convoluted as possible. 

"The first exception is that in a multi-year contract only the first season's salary is subject to the maximum. The latter seasons of a contract can have salaries above the maximum, although there are restrictions about how big raises can be from year to year (see question number 53)."

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q23

1 minute ago, d2o said:

They could do it.   Not sure why it would be advantageous for them to do so.   Particularly if its Kawhi, the only place a 1+1 makes any sort of sense is back in TOR so he can run it back and try to win again then still have his option to dip next summer.

Thanks.... just thought Kawhi might want make sure AD signs long term with Lakers after next season.  Otherwise, might not like what's left behind with Lakers if AD left.....

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks.... just thought Kawhi might want make sure AD signs long term with Lakers after next season.  Otherwise, might not like what's left behind with Lakers if AD left.....

AD isn't going anywhere.  

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don't think that's correct, but the NBA salary cap is about as convoluted as possible. 

"The first exception is that in a multi-year contract only the first season's salary is subject to the maximum. The latter seasons of a contract can have salaries above the maximum, although there are restrictions about how big raises can be from year to year (see question number 53)."

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q23

you mean salaries based on percentages of a cap which is based on a percentage of revenue and has all types of exceptions is confusing?   No way