2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

24 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So $311 mil for Klay and KD, on top of what Curry and Draymond are making?  I get they have Bird rights, but is there not limit to how much you can spend on your own players?

The luxury tax gets increasingly punative.  I think at the max, you pay $2 tax for every $1 over the line.  It never seems to be published (maybe it's not public) but the league wide tax is diviied up between not tax payers.  It'd be interesting to see what the tax bill and per team distribution would be if GS were to have 3 or 4 super max contracts.   

22 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

It doesn't say the GM and coach AREN'T in the meeting.  Just that he wants buss and magic there

he only wants Buss & Magic, no one else, and it's his manager(s) only -- not him personally at that initial meeting.  That's my understanding.

Woke up quick, at about noon, just thought I had to be in Compton soon. 

32 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

The luxury tax gets increasingly punative.  I think at the max, you pay $2 tax for every $1 over the line.  It never seems to be published (maybe it's not public) but the league wide tax is diviied up between not tax payers.  It'd be interesting to see what the tax bill and per team distribution would be if GS were to have 3 or 4 super max contracts.   

It's public:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q18

And it's the repeater tax that teams want to avoid.

As far as Golden State:

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/06/warriors-375-million-plan-to-keep-core-together/

What does this all mean from a financial perspective? If Golden State were to re-sign all three, it would be looking at a record $375 million payroll next season. That includes a luxury tax of $200 million, per ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne and Brian Windhorst. 

Thompson’s max deal would come in at $190 million over five seasons. Meanwhile, the Warriors’ offer to Durant on Sunday will be for $220 million over five seasons. It’s $57 million more than any other team can offer KD, including $50 million for a fifth season that no one else can offer.

As it relates to Looney, he’s looking at $12-plus million annually. As a repeat offender of the luxury tax, these numbers take on completely new meanings. 

For example, a looming Draymond Green extension coupled with these three moves would place Golden State’s total payroll, luxury tax included, at $1.6 billion over the next four seasons. 

Warriors general manager Bob Myers has indicated that Golden State is operating without a budget. That’s fine and dandy.

But there are issues here. That’s especially true when we take into account that Golden State’s current ownership group paid $450 million for the franchise less than a decade ago. 

The good news? San Francisco’s new Chase Center is expected to bring in north of $200 million in revenue on an annual basis. Meanwhile, Golden State is now the NBA’s highest-revenue team at north of $400 million.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

RFA, but reportedly a few teams will try to put a poison pill in his offer so the Bucks won't be able to match.  He's a really good, underrated player although he has some injury risk with his foot and at 20m+ he ceases to be a value.  I think both Chicago and Phoenix will go hard after him.

Malcolm Brogdon is great imo. Bucks would be hurt a lot if they lost him. He’s literally a 50/40/90 that can play either guard position and is a solid defender with size and athleticism. Despite the injuries that’s a guy I would throw money at if I’m the league. Especially since it forces the Bucks to pay big for him.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It's public:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q18

And it's the repeater tax that teams want to avoid.

As far as Golden State:

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/06/warriors-375-million-plan-to-keep-core-together/

The only thing worse for GS than losing KD is...KD re-signing for the supermax?  Klay too?

This has been hashed and rehashed I'm sure, but KD & Klay for the max would absolutely hamstring the franchise for the foreseeable future and who knows what kind of players they will be when they return to court.  KD is probably about 16 months away from taking the court; by the time he does return he'll be 32 and he'll be...80% of the player we've seen?  70%?  Less than that even?  Call me a cynic but I don't believe in miracle cures or rehabs, especially after 30.  Similar sentiments for Klay.

Before they even return to the court, GS has the 19-20 season to get through, resulting in massive wear and tear for 31 year old Steph who will be carrying the team and responsible for such a huge chunk of the scoring.  Without any cap space, good luck in finding competent role players to fill out the roster - since GS is likely not winning shit in 19-20, I doubt you'll see ring-chasers like david West lining up to get bounced in the first or second round for the league minimum.

Unfortunately for GS, I don't see much of a choice for them other than offering the max - they're just good enough, they moved into a new arena, and Steph is too popular to shop for a complete teardown and reset.

Kawhi can rot in fucking hell. I hope his private plane goes down somewhere over the continental divide and his uncle is literally found habit from of tree dying of dehydration bit Kawhi only suffers injuries to his lower extremities that prevent him from ever playing basketball again.

Just now, Hate said:

Kawhi can rot in fucking hell. I hope his private plane goes down somewhere over the continental divide and his uncle is literally found habit from of tree dying of dehydration bit Kawhi only suffers injuries to his lower extremities that prevent him from ever playing basketball again.

Username definitely checks out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Wow, he probably could have gotten at least one more pay day (2-3 year contract).  I know he was a Lakers target.  We'll see if this lasts.

Yeah he was pretty high on my list of probable targets for the Lakers

• Like 1

I get not wanting to give Kemba full max of 5/190.   Offerring him 5/160 when other teams can offer 4/140 is saying you dont really care if he leaves.    They low ball the only All NBA player in the history of they're franchise while grossly overpaying well below average players.

I get not wanting to give Kemba full max of 5/190.   Offerring him 5/160 when other teams can offer 4/140 is saying you dont really care if he leaves.    They low ball the only All NBA player in the history of they're franchise while grossly overpaying well below average players.

I just shake my head at these numbers and they're considered insulting or lowballing.

What a time

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I just shake my head at these numbers and they're considered insulting or lowballing.

What a time

I'm not calling it insulting, just less than what he will be offered elsewhere.  CHA had control and could have kept him from searching the open market and they clearly don't mind him getting out there.    For a team that has nothing, you might think they would want to keep the only reason anyone has for paying any attention to them.

Edited by d2o

44 minutes ago, d2o said:

What’s the point of them keeping him when they’d have to pay the luxury tax and still not even be a playoff team? They’re better off blowing it up and starting over anyways.

And yeah, that’s obviously their fault as they’ve been horribly mismanaged up to the his point, but choosing not to resign Kemba for almost $40 million per year in itself isn’t really a mistake.

53 minutes ago, d2o said:

It's worse.  Kemba's full max with Charlotte could have been 5/$221.  Which would have been financial lunacy for the Hornets.  BUT.  That's the kind of message that Charlotte is sending to other potential free agents years from now.  Never mind the idiocy that the franchise doled out in the past.

If Charlotte really didn't want him to stick around, they played this the only way they could have---by offering an insulting deal.  Oh, they can peddle that to their fanbase, but in 2019, nearly all fans are sharp enough to know what was at play here.

10 hours ago, Hate said:

Now THAT’S salty.

17 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It's worse.  Kemba's full max with Charlotte could have been 5/$221.  Which would have been financial lunacy for the Hornets.  BUT.  That's the kind of message that Charlotte is sending to other potential free agents years from now.  Never mind the idiocy that the franchise doled out in the past.

If Charlotte really didn't want him to stick around, they played this the only way they could have---by offering an insulting deal.  Oh, they can peddle that to their fanbase, but in 2019, nearly all fans are sharp enough to know what was at play here.

Exactly.   They can say they offered and he left cause he was greedy.    I definitely, get not wanting to give the supermax.   I even get not wanting to go full max.   Offering him less annually over more yrs is their way of bailing out.

The one good draft pick they've had.   The guy they celebrating during the ASG as the face of their franchise and the first ever all-NBA team.    They effectively tell him they don't really want to keep him.  

Edited by d2o

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

What’s the point of them keeping him when they’d have to pay the luxury tax and still not even be a playoff team? They’re better off blowing it up and starting over anyways.

And yeah, that’s obviously their fault as they’ve been horribly mismanaged up to the his point, but choosing not to resign Kemba for almost $40 million per year in itself isn’t really a mistake.

This is a misconception IMO.    They don't have to blow it up and let any good players they have leave.   This time of yr is when they can actually dump one or more of those awful contracts and maybe make a run at a decent player.  They actually had one good player more than many teams can say.   Make some moves and try to get a 2nd.   You can do that and still avoid the tax.

I'm not an advocate of tanking though.

Edited by d2o

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They'd be a tax team, but they aren't at risk of being a repeat offender with Biyombo, MKG and Marv Williams (jesus) coming off the books next year. If you aren't willing to take on one year in the tax you should sell your team.

If they re-up Kemba they can use him as fuel for a rebuild rather than losing their only asset for nothing in return. Sign him and then flip him for a few bad contracts that some other team is looking to get off their book. Price is a couple 1st rounders. Now they're in same position as not signing him, but now they're really set up for a proper tank and in possession of extra draft capital. That's my outlook anyways

• Like 1

A lot of their bad contracts come off the books over the next two years. At worst, eat the luxury tax this year and then use the cap space next year to improve.

They will likely be the worst team in the NBA next year - and for the foreseeable future.

44 minutes ago, d2o said:

I'm not calling it insulting, just less than what he will be offered elsewhere.  CHA had control and could have kept him from searching the open market and they clearly don't mind him getting out there.    For a team that has nothing, you might think they would want to keep the only reason anyone has for paying any attention to them.
I meant us as a society in general when talking FAs.. not just specifically the Kemba situation.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
2 hours ago, d2o said:

I meant us as a society in general when talking FAs.. not just specifically the Kemba situation.

Everything is relative

12 hours ago, Hate said:

Username confirmed.....

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Charlotte should have traded Kemba last season if they weren't committed to signing him long-term.... what a screwed up franchise.

Lol at all the Charlotte talk. Nothing will ever make that franchise good until MJ gives up this silly crusade to prove how awesome he is and turns over personnel control to an actual GM that knows how to run a team. It doesn't matter what they do, sign Kemba, trade Kemba, whatever, they would just waste the picks. They will fail because they have an incompetent owner who doesn't know he's a shitty GM.