2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

12 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

gotta get that NYK FA bandwagon fueled up for  class of 2020!

Good luck with that.  Assuming Kawhi, KD, Kyrie and co. don't sign one year deals this offseason and AD re-signs in LA, next year's FA class is pretty bleak.  Paul Millsap and Draymond Green may be the headliners.

Lots of rumblings about this Jimmy Butler to Rockets through S&T deal happening. Would be awesome if they can get it done at just the cost of EG and Capela.  I really hope it doesn't cost us PJ Tucker though. 
Lol. Your front court will suck if its NeNe, PJ and scraps(the poster).

Cp3 sucks and it shows

Jimmy will raise hell while Diantonni sits there and takes it like he did in NY.

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Cp3 sucks and it shows

Jimmy will raise hell while Diantonni sits there and takes it like he did in NY.

Eh, Deandre Jordan is close to CP3 and Butler, seems to be interested in playing with them. Not sure how much he would go for, but could be a good center for us. Could pickup someone cheap like Javale McGee or whatever. I'm not too worried, we aren't getting a good Small Forward anywhere else, and it was the biggest hole in our roster last season. 

Eh, Deandre Jordan is close to CP3 and Butler, seems to be interested in playing with them. Not sure how much he would go for, but could be a good center for us. Could pickup someone cheap like Javale McGee or whatever. I'm not too worried, we aren't getting a good Small Forward anywhere else, and it was the biggest hole in our roster last season. 

So you get Jordan on the cheap and keep pj we get

Cp3

Beard

Jimmy

PJ

DJ

What's the bench...rivers, nene, GG? Who else

I mean it's a great starting 5 if egos and health stay in check. Big IF

14 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

13 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

gotta get that NYK FA bandwagon fueled up for  class of 2020!

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Good luck with that.  Assuming Kawhi, KD, Kyrie and co. don't sign one year deals this offseason and AD re-signs in LA, next year's FA class is pretty bleak.  Paul Millsap and Draymond Green may be the headliners.

And they traded a true potential Super Star and already former All Star for Cap space...lulz.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I've never been particularly high on him, but even I thought, at minimum, that he'd be an elite wing defender the second he came into the league.

It turns out that you actually have to try and care to play defense.

If you watched him in college it was always apparent that his talent far outshined his desire. He can do anything he wants on the court. But it’s like he doesn’t want to be there. I actually told a buddy that it wouldn’t surprise me if he got his last paycheck to earn $172M and then just retired because he hates basketball. Nothing seems to motivate him. 

Woj reporting AD is waiving his $4 mil trade kicker, and the Wiz are taking on the 3 remaining salaries on the Lakers roster as part of the AD trade (not sure on details), leaving the Lakers with $32 mil in cap space.  That may well indeed land a huge 3rd piece.

Rumor is AD is making his $4 mil back on Space Jams 2.

edit beat me to it.  

Edited by Sbbruin

Yeah, our draft will suck for years, but we have the ability to sign free agents based on intangibles that 3/4 of the league just doesn't have.  Hell, the last real impact draft pick for the Lakers was Kobe for all intents and purposes.

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
16 minutes ago, d2o said:

The fuck Washington?

they reportedly wanted Wagner last yr in the draft.   Its not like they were gonna sign any one with the little cap room they had anyway.   get a few players and a 2nd.

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
23 minutes ago, d2o said:

The fuck Washington?

Talent starved team and received a 2nd rounder for taking some tiny rookie contracts.  Makes sense for them.  They don't give a fuck about the West.

Anyone else feeling Jimmy Butler?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Talent starved team and received a 2nd rounder for taking some tiny rookie contracts.  Makes sense for them.  They don't give a fuck about the West.

Anyone else feeling Jimmy Butler?

He would definitley be better with LBJ/AD than with Harden/CP3-6wks

39 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, our draft will suck for years, but we have the ability to sign free agents based on intangibles that 3/4 of the league just doesn't have.  Hell, the last real impact draft pick for the Lakers was Kobe for all intents and purposes.

The goal is to win now. That is why they got Lebron. Not to worry about signing draft picks outside of lottery to build a team. The Pelicans are a team that values draft picks because they know they are never going to land big pieces the way the Lakers did. If they land another big piece to go with Lebron/AD, no Laker fan will give a shit about those draft picks.

And this allows them to transition the team when Lebron decides to hang them up. AD plus another max player can be another duo to build around later. If they choose to go that route. Lakers definitely won this offseason. I had a feeling AD was going to waive that $4mill to help them out. Him and Lebron orchestrated this. Lebron was going to talk him into doing that. AD will be able to make that up in other endeavors. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Kawhi did what Toronto wanted him to do. Win a title. He did it right away. He will forever be a legend in Toronto no matter what. They knew what they were getting into when they traded for him. I think he goes west now to LA to start a new legacy. If he teams up with Lebron in LA and they win it all, both of them would have won a ring with 3 different teams as main players. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

With what we've seen from the Lakers for the past 6 months, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

It always is but all the talking heads that called them idiots for how they handled this deal over the last couple weeks should be coming out and saying how wrong they were.    What has become abundantly clear over this time is the vast majority of them have no clue how the cap works and didn't even bother to have people on their research team spend an hour reading to figure it out before going with their hot takes.    They all now look stupid but of course they will act like they never said any of it.

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Cp3 sucks and it shows

Wouldn't be shocked to see Jordan sign with the hometown team and play with Paul again.

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

It always is but all the talking heads that called them idiots for how they handled this deal over the last couple weeks should be coming out and saying how wrong they were.    What has become abundantly clear over this time is the vast majority of them have no clue how the cap works and didn't even bother to have people on their research team spend an hour reading to figure it out before going with their hot takes.    They all now look stupid but of course they will act like they never said any of it.

Why can't both be true? The complexities of the CBA allow you to "pull something off" in just about every situation. Just because they got it done, it doesn't mean it was some masterstroke.

Edit: also, my stance isn't that they are idiots. I think there are too many cooks in the kitchen which leads to a dysfunctional operation.

Edited by Ricky Butler

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

Why can't both be true? The complexities of the CBA allow you to "pull something off" in just about every situation. Just because they got it done, it doesn't mean it was some masterstroke.

Never said it was a masterstroke.    It was in no way the disaster that so many have tried to make it out to be.    All those who kneejerked and said how badly they screwed up by not trying to get NO to wait until the 30th were wrong.   It was never a realistic possibility

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Never said it was a masterstroke.    It was in no way the disaster that so many have tried to make it out to be.    All those who kneejerked and said how badly they screwed up by not trying to get NO to wait until the 30th were wrong.   It was never a realistic possibility

Yeah, I didn't buy that either. People were annoyed that he essentially forced his way to the Lakers, so they were looking to shit on the trade. I just think any GM could have gotten that deal done because they basically traded every asset they had. But AD is awesome, so it won't matter if they win a title.

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

They’ve more than earned the ridicule they’ve received as a franchise lately. Not knowing how to structure trades was a conclusion many were happy to jump to because it’s so believable. 

9 minutes ago, d2o said:

I guess the question is, would Morey, Presti, Myers, Ujiri, etc. have been able to orchestrate the deal in a manner that wouldn't have cost the Lakers literally every asset they have to get AD and squeeze in a max slot?  My guess is: absolutely.  Again, the Lakers ultimately got what they wanted/needed, so they're not going to sweat a couple of extra pick swaps or 2nd round picks, but you'll be hard-pressed to convince me that this was their plan all along.  They made it work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I guess the question is, would Morey, Presti, Myers, Ujiri, etc. have been able to orchestrate the deal in a manner that wouldn't have cost the Lakers literally every asset they have to get AD and squeeze in a max slot?  My guess is: absolutely.  Again, the Lakers ultimately got what they wanted/needed, so they're not going to sweat a couple of extra pick swaps or 2nd round picks, but you'll be hard-pressed to convince me that this was their plan all along.  They made it work.

Yeah but they kept Kuzma....................

ah-haaa.jpg

Seriously though, when MIA did it they did pretty much the exact same thing.   They traded all of their picks and every player they had to get the 3 together.    Maybe the guys you listed might have been able to save a draft pick or a swap but that is a marginal difference.

Edited by d2o

Just now, aggie08 said:

That's a little bit of a different question. Did they bid against themselves and overpay? Almost certainly. Nobody was going to offer NO near that package.

Whether they fucked up the timing is another issue. I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the timing of the CBA, but it does appear that they could have arranged the Davis deal to where they didn't have to dump Mo Wagner in order to clear out max space. Not that Moritz fucking Wagner is the difference between winning and losing a championship, but he is a late first round pick on the second year of his rookie deal. If he turns out to be even a rotation player, those contracts are extremely valuable especially when you only have 3 players under contract, virtually no draft picks in the foreseeable future and still have to fill out your roster.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That's a little bit of a different question. Did they bid against themselves and overpay? Almost certainly. Nobody was going to offer NO near that package.

Whether they fucked up the timing is another issue. I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the timing of the CBA, but it does appear that they could have arranged the Davis deal to where they didn't have to dump Mo Wagner in order to clear out max space. Not that Moritz fucking Wagner is the difference between winning and losing a championship, but he is a late first round pick on the second year of his rookie deal. If he turns out to be even a rotation player, those contracts are extremely valuable especially when you only have 3 players under contract, virtually no draft picks in the foreseeable future and still have to fill out your roster.

They would have had to wait until July 30th to do that.    No one, including the Lakers, was going to do that.  The teams would miss out on FA to do so.   It was never realistic.   Just a hot take.

Let's assume the lakers get Kawhi or butler for their last max spot (regardless of whether butler is worth it or not).  They have 4 players and have about $10M of cap space.  Doesn't that mean that the other 11 guys all have to play at the vet minimum?

Also... this is not how the heat were assembled.  The heat retained 7 of their players from the previous roster.  They didn't wholesale everyone and then come back with a bunch of vet minimum guys because they were trading for ONE guy.  Lebron, Bosh, and Wade took pay cuts so they could be together.  AD, Lebron, and #3 are all getting max'd out to be together.  You can say what you want about my shitty opinions but acting like this is how Riley built the heat is just not true.

Edited by Jhawk

17 minutes ago, d2o said:

They would have had to wait until July 30th to do that.    No one, including the Lakers, was going to do that.  The teams would miss out on FA to do so.   It was never realistic.   Just a hot take.

Serious question, why not? Why couldn't they just agree in principle like they do on all the draft trades? They know exactly which players are going where. They know exactly what cap space is left. There aren't any regular season games being played. Hell, they do the same thing during the free agency moratorium. The players agree in principle and then sign later. The only potential issue would be rookies missing out on playing Summer League with their teams. If LA had insisted on that being part of the deal in the first place, the Pelicans would have almost certainly gone along with it.

Honestly, the NBA needs to look at how they time all this shit out. It's ridiculous to have a guy walk up to the stage, put on a Grizzlies hat when everybody in the free world knows he's going to Atlanta. It's ridiculous that the NBA has a rule that you have to wait 30 days after a first round pick has signed to trade him. I guess all of this is because of the Stepian Rule? Teams have been circumventing that rule for years. It's just stupid. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

Let's assume the lakers get Kawhi or butler for their last max spot (regardless of whether butler is worth it or not).  They have 4 players and zero cap space.  Doesn't that mean that the other 11 guys all have to play at the vet minimum?

Also... this is not how the heat were assembled.  The heat retained 7 of their players from the previous roster.  They didn't wholesale everyone and then come back with a bunch of vet minimum guys because they were trading for ONE guy.  Lebron, Bosh, and Wade took pay cuts so they could be together.  AD, Lebron, and #3 are all getting max'd out to be together.  You can say what you want about my shitty opinions but acting like this is how Riley built the heat is just not true.

If it's LeBron, AD, and Kawhi, I'm not sure it matters who else is around them. That's three Top 7 players on the same damn team. In a year where the other Top 7 guys are reattaching their achilles, waiting for their backcourt mate to have ACL surgery, hoping Chris Paul doesn't keel over, and wanting their front office to max out Khris Middleton, respectively. Barring serious injury, next year would be over.

If it's LeBron, AD, and Butler, they may end up missing those young rotation guys, however mediocre (or worse) they may be.

They're going to be old as balls if they're stuck with 11 ring chasers on minimum contracts.

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Let's assume the lakers get Kawhi or butler for their last max spot (regardless of whether butler is worth it or not).  They have 4 players and have about $10M of cap space.  Doesn't that mean that the other 11 guys all have to play at the vet minimum?

Depends on how many guys they have to waive that they have Bird rights on. Bullock, Pope, and Muscala are decent rotational players.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:13 PM, LTtxfan said:

Surprised Nicholson isn't getting AD a cameo movie part to pay him the $4M and allow AD to pass up the Lakers trade kicker.  Then it frees up $4M more to help get another player for LA.

giphy.gif

Well this post aged well.... Guess Hollywood is gonna get the $4M to Anthony Davis another way.  😉  

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

What did you think their plan was when getting Lebron? It was always going to be about getting 2 other superstars in here and whatever cost. The whole team was for sale starting last year. They were going to go all out in the windows Lebron has left to win it all. I think this was always their plan. No way were they getting a player like AD without a trade. Kawhi was always on their radar and now they have their shot. 

They were never going to let this core stay with Lebron. They were never going to get Lebron and fill out the roster with other nice pieces. It was always going to be about going all in at any cost and worry about any ramifications if there are any down the line.