2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Celtics were bidding on that #4 pick that ATL just got from the Pelicans.... seems like Danny Ainge didn't make a good enough deal with the Devil...

Since Celtics traded for Kyrie and Hayward, nothing has gone right for Ainge...

Edited by LTtxfan

On 6/15/2019 at 8:32 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Oh god I hope not. I don’t mind super teams because the NBA has always been that way, even though people want to pretend Lebron and GSW were the firsts, but that’s just too much. That would be the best defensive team ever assembled.

Bruce Bowen will kick you in the face

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Can someone explain ^^^ further ??

Lots of reports that said Lakers were not aware of the timing difference rules of July 6th vs later in July (20th or later)...

Keep scrolling and you'll find your answer.

It's a three-way trade. The third team wasn't going to wait until later.

No one was gonna wait until July 30th.............including the Lakers.     It would mean the teams wouldn't be able to sign anyone and more importantly that any big time FA that was interested in going to LA would have to wait until the 30th to sign.    That was never going to happen.    I have my issues with Pelinka but reporting it like he didnt understand the timing is nothing but sensationalism

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Machinator said:

40 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Member when the cap spiked and scrubs like Ryan Anderson and Nicolas Batum and Chandler Parsons and Bismack Biyombo and Timofey Mozgov got obscene contracts? I member. Well, here we are again with a bunch of teams with ample cap space and GMs with itchy trigger fingers feeling the pressure to make a move. This is going to be funny/ sad/ shocking/ not shocking over the next few weeks. I feel like somebody is about to give my wife $500 cash and turn her loose in the thrift store. No telling what kind of garbage she's going to come home with, but I do know for sure that she's going to spend it no matter what. This is going to be a bloodbath.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Who the fuck thinks they're one Al Horford away from a Title enough to offer him that kind of money at his age?? And I actually really like Al Horford but that's an expensive "13, 7, and 4, and a handful of really nice screens!"

Edited by aggie08
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Who the fuck thinks they're one Al Horford away from a Title enough to offer him that kind of money at his age?? And I actually really like Al Horford but that's an expensive "13, 7, and 4, and a handful of really nice screens!"

Maybe Dallas:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254375/Rumored-Speculation-Has-Al-Horford-Expecting-Four-Year-$112M-Offer-From-Mavericks

"Al Horford clearly knows he has another offer," said Brian Windhorst. "The speculation within the league is that it's with the Dallas Mavericks. I'm just going to tell you the number that is out there that they're talking about. I have no idea whether it's true. Do you know the number, (Tim) MacMahon?"

"112," replied Jackie MacMullan.

"Four years, $112 million is the number floating around."

Edited by Francisco 2.0

29 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Member when the cap spiked and scrubs like Ryan Anderson and Nicolas Batum and Chandler Parsons and Bismack Biyombo and Timofey Mozgov got obscene contracts? I member. Well, here we are again with a bunch of teams with ample cap space and GMs with itchy trigger fingers feeling the pressure to make a move. This is going to be funny/ sad/ shocking/ not shocking over the next few weeks. I feel like somebody is about to give my wife $500 cash and turn her loose in the thrift store. No telling what kind of garbage she's going to come home with, but I do know for sure that she's going to spend it no matter what. This is going to be a bloodbath.

100%

It's why I never ever care to hear about owners claiming that they are losing money or people acting like there isnt a reason bad teams stay bad.   I like Al Horford......a lot. He contributes to winning.    He is in NO WAY a 35M/yr player.   Especially when he is 36-7 which he will be in the last yrs of that deal.   Any team that signs him to that deal deserves whatever cap hell they get.   It will be completely self-inflicted.

https://deadspin.com/is-this-kyrie-irving-scolding-celtics-fans-under-an-ali-1835745111

Thursday morning a man going by the name of Mikey in Waltham called in to the Zolak & Bertrand radio show on 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston to participate in a wide-ranging conversation about the state of the Boston Celtics. It’s been a rough time for Celtics fans—their team disappointed last season, then failed to swing a long-anticipated blockbuster trade for Anthony Davis, and now it appears that both Kyrie Irving and Al Horford will be leaving Boston in free agency. Callers into the show tended to offer armchair personnel fixes or release cathartic blasts of pointed criticism.

Not Mikey in Waltham. Mikey in Waltham called in Thursday morning to gently scold his fellow Boston sports fans for never truly embracing the blessings of Kyrie Irving, who graced their beloved team for all-too-short a period of time:

“Hey, so, I was just calling in saying that with such a rare talent like Kyrie, it’s such a shame that the, the fans didn’t welcome, welcome him in more. Talents like those are so rare, they don’t come by fast and I think it serves us right that now he’s gone and look at what we’re left with.”

That’s maybe not a take you’d expect out of prideful Celtics fans, but it’s not, like, totally insane. The call is noteworthy for another reason, though: As another caller noted several minutes later, and as several Deadspin tipsters pointed out, and as the show’s hosts would later fully accept as definitive, Mikey in Waltham’s voice sounds noticeably like that of Kyrie Irving. Listen for yourself:

And then there’s this: Boston’s practice facility is located in the town of [drum roll] Waltham, Massachusetts. Maybe Kyrie wasn’t actually at the practice facility when he called in as Mikey in Waltham, but Waltham would for sure be a town Kyrie knows of in Massachusetts. Kyrie even had a memorable non-practice experience in Waltham when he first arrived in Boston, when his car broke down on the way to practice in 2017. Waltham would make sense as the town to leap to mind when he needs to give his alter ego a home.

So what do we think? Is this the voice of Mikey in Waltham, who believes Boston fans are partially to blame for Kyrie leaving in free agency, because they didn’t “welcome him in more”? Or is it the voice of Kyrie Irving, scolding Celtics fans for being big old meanies and failing to appreciate true genius when it is in their midst?

C'mon mitch.. we all know that someone is you. Youd be a terrible GM