2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

23 minutes ago, d2o said:

For one the cap will only be 109M next yr.    Next they have holds for Marcus Morris and Aron Baynes totaling about 15-6M.  64 +15 = 79 so that 28-9M projected space sounds about right when you factor in league min holds as well to fill the roster.

Shit. It's 118 for 2020. Misread.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So Memphis is drafting Morant, right? 

RJ to NY. We can start the draft at #4. 

yeah that is 100% certain now.  I never thought it was in doubt but this cements it

I keep hearing rumblings about NY maybe taking Garland though at 3.   They brought him in for a workout so at the very least they are trying to scare someone into making them an offer for #3.

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

It would significantly effect teams cap room in the present.    That is all they are really concerned about.

I get that for many teams who run through coaches and GM's, but you'd think teams like Miami, SAS, Houston, GSW, Boston, and now LAC who have execs who are not going anywhere (maybe throw in a few more teams) could really look long term.  You could even get creative to acquire guys under the cap by having a low first year, a massive second year, and then years 3-4 you have declines.  Of course, this would mean that max salaries would have to be average over the term instead of over any single year being 35% (or whatever) of the available cap.  I doubt the players would go for that.

8 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I get that for many teams who run through coaches and GM's, but you'd think teams like Miami, SAS, Houston, GSW, Boston, and now LAC who have execs who are not going anywhere (maybe throw in a few more teams) could really look long term.  You could even get creative to acquire guys under the cap by having a low first year, a massive second year, and then years 3-4 you have declines.  Of course, this would mean that max salaries would have to be average over the term instead of over any single year being 35% (or whatever) of the available cap.  I doubt the players would go for that.

There are cap rules about the annual raises/decreases in deals so that wouldn't be possible.   They let you do a lot of that stuff in NFL contracts but the rules are more laid out in the NBA CBAs.

I kinda like to know what teams/players can and cant do with respect to contracts/trades etc.   This is my go to for all questions about the cap:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Larry Coon is great and explains just about everything in great detail.

Edited by d2o

16 minutes ago, d2o said:

yeah that is 100% certain now.  I never thought it was in doubt but this cements it

I keep hearing rumblings about NY maybe taking Garland though at 3.   They brought him in for a workout so at the very least they are trying to scare someone into making them an offer for #3.

I hope the Knicks never win another championship if they let RJ fall to the Pelicans.

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I hope the Knicks never win another championship if they let RJ fall to the Lakers.

Well he would be going to NO to reunite with Zion if that happens of course (unless the AD deal somehow falls apart)

Edited by d2o

4 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

Like the deal for the Jazz more, those picks are probably going to be outside the lottery.

If Conley can stay healthy. Which has a high probability of not happening considering his age and injury history. But you still got Mitchell on his rookie deal and 1 + 1 with Conley.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If Conley can stay healthy. Which has a high probability of not happening considering his age and injury history. But you still got Mitchell on his rookie deal and 1 + 1 with Conley.

And the west is wide open next year, and the players they gave up are almost worthless (maybe they get something small for Crowder?).

Just now, Calihorn said:

And the west is wide open next year, and the players they gave up are almost worthless (maybe they get something small for Crowder?).

They are also giving up on Rubio. So you have to take that into account. A Utah team minus Rubio, Crowder, and an injured Conley is taking a step backwards.

• Haha 1

Good move for both Memphis and Utah.  Memphis unloads Conley's contract and can start over and Utah gets the better player.  They also get rid of Ted Cruz's bastard son.

These star contracts are getting as bad baseball contracts.  It's not just the length and the money but rather how old they are towards the end combined with that salary number.  Westbrook, Conley, Paul, Wall, etc. all have absolutely horrible contracts over the next few years.

1 minute ago, Calihorn said:

MEM's only goal in the trade was to get rid of Conley's massive deal, make room for Ja, and get draft picks.   They couldn't care less about the players.  I wouldn't be surprised to see all of them either bought out or traded again in the next few days.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

Like the deal for the Jazz more, those picks are probably going to be outside the lottery.

Of course, but Memphis gets to dump a monster contract to the tune of $67 million over the next two years and Morant is the future at PG anyway. Depending on what they do with Valenciunas, they will have damn near completely cleared their books after Chandler Parsons' abortion of a contract expires next season. I give their front office a ton of credit. They have completely moved on from the Gasol/Conley/Z bo era and will have two really nice young pieces in JJJ and Morant, a nice collection of draft picks and gobs of cap space. 

I think this is a good trade for Utah too. Conley should be a great fit for them.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, d2o said:

MEM's only goal in the trade was to get rid of Conley's massive deal, make room for Ja, and get draft picks.   They couldn't care less about the players.  I wouldn't be surprised to see all of them either bought out or traded again in the next few days.

Yup, dumping 2 years 65m for an aging PG with an injury history is a great deal. They got a good return for him too, 2 1sts and a couple of tradeable assets. Not sure if anyone would want Korver, but they could buy him out for cheap, or use him to match salaries later. 

Utah is better with Conley over Rubio, but only if he's healthy. It's a gamble, but it's worth it for them. Utah has been pretty good for the last few years, but just hasn't had it come together in the playoffs. Maybe this will be the catalyst they need. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jhawk said:

So let’s say the lakers grab kawhi or some other max/close to max guy. They’re sitting at 90-95M and have 4 players on their roster. So they have something like $15M to spend on 11 guys to fill out the other 130-135 minutes per game. And they’re doing it with effectively no draft picks  

Outstanding work they’re doing out in LA. I can’t wait to see lebron become an actual GM. 

If Kawhi goes home to LA, he's going to play for the Clippers, not the Lakers.

One note about the Lakers trade, if it works the way they are trying to do it they will make the trade as a team over the cap.   So not only would they then have another max slot available, they will then get to use the MLE which will help them get one more decent player looking to try and go for a ring

• Like 1

Since Ms. Beadle made her way into this thread, this is a semi-topical throwback.  Carry on, everyone.

https://deadspin.com/video-of-michelle-beadle-clay-matthews-strolling-to-es-5827548

The video was taken by something called "PopCandies TV" and was sent to us by an anonymous tipster who suggests that it's enough evidence to prove that Beadle and Clay Matthews were somewhat super-friendly that enchanted evening, more so than she let on. It shows Beadle, Matthews and others strolling along the LA sidewalk on the way to the infamous ESPY's after party at the W Hotel. HOWEVER: Beadle said this was an innocent walk and she would like to say, again, that she did not fuck Clay Matthews. For the record.

https://deadspin.com/did-michelle-beadle-tell-aaron-rodgers-i-just-wanna-g-5827414

"I saw and talked to Aaron the first night I was there," Beadle said. "I don't know the guy or anything, but we [she and her girlfriends] were hanging out with him. But Marcia told me that she heard I had apparently blurted out in front of him, 'I just wanna get fucked' very loudly."

Still, a source who was present at some of those ESPY after-parties maintains that Beadle had gotten obnoxiously hammered and that at one point she put the moves on Aaron Rodgers. Rebuffed, she went on to fuck his teammate Clay Matthews instead, the source said.

Article suggesting that 2019-2020 probably not a season the Celtics will be able to compete for a championship.  Suggests that they keep and use their 2019 1st Rd picks (#14, #20, and #22) and not overpay for a long-term free agent.  

https://thebiglead.com/2019/06/19/boston-celtics-whats-next/

Stay out of the free agent market

"If the Celtics renounce all of their free agents, they’ll have around $30 million in cap space to make a move. They should not. Any player who’s both talented and young is going to command a huge deal in this year’s coveted market, and there’s no use in getting into a bidding war over someone like D'Angelo Russell. If some veterans want to come in and make some money on a short deal, then the Celtics have nothing to lose but financial flexibility. But there’s no one player who would realistically consider Boston that will take this team from a middling but young squad to a championship contender.

The cap will roll over into next year, and Ainge likes to keep his options open. Cap space lets him do that. There’s no use in overpaying for a mid-tier player, and options like Kawhi Leonard are completely out of the question. Stand pat and watch the madness unfold."

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yup, dumping 2 years 65m for an aging PG with an injury history is a great deal. They got a good return for him too, 2 1sts and a couple of tradeable assets. Not sure if anyone would want Korver, but they could buy him out for cheap, or use him to match salaries later. 

Utah is better with Conley over Rubio, but only if he's healthy. It's a gamble, but it's worth it for them. Utah has been pretty good for the last few years, but just hasn't had it come together in the playoffs. Maybe this will be the catalyst they need. 

Injury history is a narrative that is sometimes over used. 17/18 is the only year he has missed any significant time. I’m pretty sure his minutes averaged this past year and GP are right in line with most of his years. Utah got the best player by a landslide in this deal who has been underrated on another small market team for his career that will show up when it counts. It may not change the end result next year, but Conley over Rubio was worth the price.

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I'm surprised that teams haven't started offering declining contracts to guys after age 31-32.  Give them big dollars up front and then have them decline by $1-3M a year, or heavily decline by like $5M in the last year or two.  Of course that doesn't work if the cap is ever increasing, but as the money starts to top out (like it is starting to) then give CP3 $37M while he is in the last year of his prime and have his deal down to $30 by the time he is 35.  This should be exactly how they do it for guys that are stars but don't have the marketability of someone like LBJ.  You could pay him $50M a year his last year in the league and he'd probably be worth it from a marketing standpoint.

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

None of what you’re saying is allowed. There are limits fo 5% or 8% on increase/decrease of salary from year to year and you can’t pay a guy more per year than what his max value would be for the year. Plus, a guy like Conley would never take less than a max when he was signing at age 29 and those operate as percentages of the cap, which always increases, so yeah, it’s impossible to do what you’re suggesting if a guy is good enough to get a max contract from a team. If he’s not, you still can only increase/decrease the salary by 5% per year.

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

They are also giving up on Rubio. So you have to take that into account. A Utah team minus Rubio, Crowder, and an injured Conley is taking a step backwards.

Lol. Conley has played 69 or more games 2 of the last 3 years. You act like every player should just be written off due to injury. Just like with AD, who you say will get injured in every post you talk about him, even though  he played 75 games the previous two years and averages playing 68 games per year, not including this season where he sat out a bunch for non-injury reasons.

Lulz.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/06/19/report-lakers-didnt-negotiate-anthony-davis-trade-date-with-pelicans-for-initial-agreement/

Maybe the Lakers completely understood the ramifications of finalizing the trade July 6. It takes two teams to agree, and perhaps New Orleans – which would have faced complications flipping the No. 4 pick, not gotten him into summer league and had cap space tied up through July – refused to do the trade later.

But it sure doesn’t sound as if the Lakers knew what they were doing.

Ramona Shelburne on ESPN2:

If this was really their plan, they want to have a third star, this should have been central to the conversations with the Pelicans. And my understanding is that it was not, that it went all the way down the road and it was more, it has been described to me as, the Lakers called back – after everything had been discussed – about this.

News and Rumors are great during Draft Week...

• Wednesday, 6:51 p.m.: The Celtics held last-minute workouts with Darius Bazley, Jalen Lecque, Tremont Waters, Jordan Bone, Chris Clemons adn Jared Harper. Boston is expected to be active during Thursday's draft. (Jake Fischer and Jeremy Woo, Sports Illustrated)

• Wednesday, 5:31 p.m: The Hawks have traded a second-round pick, No. 44, to the Heat for a 2024 conditional second-round pick and cash considerations (Chris Vivlamore, Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

• Wednesday, 5:01 p.m: Vanderbilt guard Darius Garland worked out with the Knicks on Wednesday, but the Knicks remain locked on selecting Duke’s RJ Barrett with the No. 3 pick on Thursday. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)

• Wednesday, 3:45 p.m: The Thunder have made Steven Adams, Andre Roberson and Dennis Schroder available for trades as they look to dodge the luxury tax. (Jake Fischer, Sports Illustrated)

• Wednesday, 2:50 p.m: The Rockets explored trading Chris Paul to the Knicks, but New York declined. (Kevin O'Connor, The Ringer)

• Wednesday, 2:42 p.m: The Mavericks, Lakers and Clippers are expected to target Al Horford in free agency. (Kevin O'Connor, The Ringer)

• Wednesday, 2:38 p.m: Lottery teams have asked the Celtics about Jaylen Brown's availability in trade talks. (Adam Himmelsbach,Boston Globe)

• Wednesday, 2:30 p.m: The Knicks will attempt to lure Anthony Davis to New York in the summer of 2020 after failing to acquire him via trade. (Howard Beck, Bleacher Report)

• Wednesday, 8:24 a.m: Last week, SI's Chris Mannix reported that Kawhi Leonard is likely to sign with the Raptors or Clippers this offseason. That remains the case, according to ESPN. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN/Get Up!)

• Tuesday, 11:16 p.m: Swingman Jimmy Butler is expected to be a target of the Houston Rockets and will be aggressive in their approach to sign him. Butler recently declined his $19.8 million option with the Philadelphia 76ers. (Brian Smith, Houston Chronicle)

• Tuesday, 10:03 p.m: The Boston Celtics and Houston Rockets had preliminary discussions about a trade centered around Rockets center Clint Capela. (Ian Begley, SNY)

• Tuesday, 9:30 p.m: Nets guard Spencer Dinwiddie "has had a significant role" recruiting Kyrie Irving to Brooklyn. (Marc Stein, New York Times)

• Tuesday, 8:30 p.m: The Washington Wizards intend to offer guard Bradley Beal a three-year, $111 million extension when he is eligible next month. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN.com)

• Tuesday, 8:04 p.m: The Lakers are offering the contract of Mo Wagner, Jemerrio Jones and Isaac Bonga to additional teams in order to create $32M in space. The team is also aggressively pursuing the purchase of second-round picks in Thursday's NBA draft. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)

• Tuesday, 2:21 p.m: Harrison Barnes will not exercise the $25.1 million option on his 2019-20 contract and become an unrestricted free agent. (Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN)

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol. Conley has played 69 or more games 2 of the last 3 years. You act like every player should just be written off due to injury. Just like with AD, who you say will get injured in every post you talk about him, even though  he played 75 games the previous two years and averages playing 68 games per year, not including this season where he sat out a bunch for non-injury reasons.

Players that get injured a lot tend to stay injured a lot the older they get. To say that Davis and Conley aren't major injury risks is you being retarded.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Players that get injured a lot tend to stay injured a lot the older they get. To say that Davis and Conley aren't major injury risks is you being retarded.

Lol way to use data. again, AD averages 68 games per year and has played 75 the two prior to this one. To say he still gets injured a lot is just dumb. 

Conley has been healthy his whole career except for one season. Sure, he’s 32, but he’s not a guy who gets injured all the time and basketball players experience low rates of significant injury.

Regardless, all your posts in this thread are just claiming guys will get injured and then writing them off because of that.

9 minutes ago, NowThis said:

why would Butler want to leave Philly, especially to the turmoil of Houston?  Can't both teams pay the same?

Also, about AD, can't the Lakers and Knicks offer identical money in summer 2020? 

Jimmy Butler is from Texas, specifically Houston.  And no one's saying he wants to go to Houston, simply Houston would like to try and acquire him.  Probably would have to convince him to come as a UFA and then Houston would need to work out a S&T as they are over the cap involving Gordon and Capela.  Doubt Philly would be interested in that package so it may get super complicated and a 3rd team would have to get involved but Morey is very aggressive.

AD, no.  When the Lakers acquired him they also acquired his Bird rights.  They can't offer him the supermax but they can offer him Bird max contract.

Also... I saw this.  I would laugh so fucking hard.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lol way to use data. again, AD averages 68 games per year and has played 75 the two prior to this one. To say he still gets injured a lot is just dumb. 

Conley has been healthy his whole career except for one season. Sure, he’s 32, but he’s not a guy who gets injured all the time and basketball players experience low rates of significant injury.

Regardless, all your posts in this thread are just claiming guys will get injured and then writing them off because of that.

Davis has played 58.4% of his team's overall minutes since he came into the league.

Conley has played 54.4%

Lebron has played 73.4 which was hampered by the injury he suffered and sitting out games when the Lakers were out of contention. Before this most recent season he had played 75%.

I'm not writing them off, they do that plenty themselves because they are always injured. There's a reason their teams have the 1st 2 picks in the draft.

Edited by HtownHorn

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Jimmy Butler is from Texas, specifically Houston.  And no one's saying he wants to go to Houston, simply Houston would like to try and acquire him.  Probably would have to convince him to come as a UFA and then Houston would need to work out a S&T as they are over the cap involving Gordon and Capela.  Doubt Philly would be interested in that package so it may get super complicated and a 3rd team would have to get involved but Morey is very aggressive.

AD, no.  When the Lakers acquired him they also acquired his Bird rights.  They can't offer him the supermax but they can offer him Bird max contract.

Also... I saw this.  I would laugh so fucking hard.

Seems like Kyrie needs to sign a 1-2yr deal with the Lakers... see if LeBron can help him get his groove back...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Milwaukee should let Middleton go and replace him with something cheaper in free agency or the draft.  Signing him to a max or near max deal is incredibly stupid.  People who say, well they're a small market team and they have to do it to keep stars, don't understand that Middleton isn't a star.  Nice player but I'd rather have Brogdon overall.

8 hours ago, NowThis said:

why would Butler want to leave Philly, especially to the turmoil of Houston?  Can't both teams pay the same?

Also, about AD, can't the Lakers and Knicks offer identical money in summer 2020? 

PHI has Butler's Bird rights so they can offer much more than HOU.   Without moving A LOT of salary HOU cannot offer Butler more than the MLE.

The Lakers will be able to offer AD about 40-50M more than the Knicks next summer.    People reporting that like its anything more than an EXTREMELY remote possibility are wasting everyone's time.   That is nothing more than a way to try and make the Knick a s story

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If Bucks don't sign Middleton for 5yrs, what move(s) should they make??

They wont have a whole lot of room to do anything regardless so they kind of have to give Middleton a max deal.    They want to keep Brogdon and have to figure out what to do with both Lopez and Mirotic.  

Edited by d2o

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Milwaukee should let Middleton go and replace him with something cheaper in free agency or the draft.  Signing him to a max or near max deal is incredibly stupid.  People who say, well they're a small market team and they have to do it to keep stars, don't understand that Middleton isn't a star.  Nice player but I'd rather have Brogdon overall.

While I agree that maxing him will hurt, I just dont know who they could replace him with at a similar to what he made last yr and get the same production.   They also send a bad message that they dont take of their own.  Giannis is watching.

I do like Brogdon a lot but I really think he is going to get a max offer that they need to match.    They are in a tough spot

Edited by d2o

52 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Bucks will cheap out on someone.  Not sure who it is, but I just get the feeling that two of Lopez, Middleton, Mirotic or Brogdan is playing elsewhere next fall.  And losing any two of those is gonna hurt.

The will probably lose George hill too.   IIRC of his 18M next yr is only 1M is guaranteed so they could release him and save a lot to make up for some of the money they spend to keep those guys.