2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

41 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

Pelinka is a fucking idiot.

Yeah.  For anyone that thinks the Lakers back office finally has their shit together just read how they are trying to fix some screw-ups related to the AD trade....

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27005071/sources-lakers-hustling-create-max-salary-slot

"Sources: Lakers hustling to create max salary slot"

The Los Angeles Lakers are scrambling to reshape the parameters of the Anthony Davis trade with New Orleans and create the capacity for $32 million-plus in salary-cap space when the free-agent moratorium ends on July 6, league sources told ESPN.  The Lakers were engaging additional teams on Tuesday to take on the contracts of three of the remaining five players on the team's roster --- Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga and Jemerrio Jones -- league sources said. Kyle Kuzma and LeBron James are the only other two Lakers remaining on the team's end-of-season roster.

The Lakers are pursuing the purchase of second-round picks in Thursday's NBA draft, understanding they need avenues to acquire inexpensive talent and contracts that will count only as minimum salaries against the cap, league sources said.    The Lakers probably would need to incentivize the trading of those salaries with cash or draft considerations. Wagner, the No. 25 pick in the 2018 NBA draft, probably has the most value of the three players.  Teams are allowed to pay as much as $5.2 million to buy draft picks in a calendar year. Los Angeles paid $1.5 million as part of a deal to acquire Bonga in July, limiting the Lakers to $3.7 million in financial trades.  Still, the $3.7 million replenishes to $5.6 million once the salary cap resets on June 30. The Lakers could agree to a trade on draft night Thursday but not finalize it until July 6 if the directive is to use more than the $3.7 million available.

The Lakers need those contracts moved to come within 125% of Davis' salary -- which would be the difference between $23.7 million and $32.5 million in space when the trade is finalized July 6.  If Davis doesn't waive his $4.1 million trade bonus, the Lakers-Pelicans trade wouldn't be allowed even if Los Angeles finds a third team for the players not included in the original deal with New Orleans.  The Lakers would have to wait until July 30 to have the maximum cap space -- unless they were willing to incentivize New Orleans to agree to delay the completion of the trade.

Edited by LTtxfan

So let’s say the lakers grab kawhi or some other max/close to max guy. They’re sitting at 90-95M and have 4 players on their roster. So they have something like $15M to spend on 11 guys to fill out the other 130-135 minutes per game. And they’re doing it with effectively no draft picks  

Outstanding work they’re doing out in LA. I can’t wait to see lebron become an actual GM. 

10 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

So let’s say the lakers grab kawhi or some other max/close to max guy. They’re sitting at 90-95M and have 4 players on their roster. So they have something like $15M to spend on 11 guys to fill out the other 130-135 minutes per game. And they’re doing it with effectively no draft picks  

Outstanding work they’re doing out in LA. I can’t wait to see lebron become an actual GM. 

We've seen this exact thing in MIA though.   Took two yrs to get the roster filled out.   They still made the Finals is yr one.     I dont really like it.   I think they should split that money among a few quality vets.    Still it has worked before so we will see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d2o said:

We've seen this exact thing in MIA though.   Took two yrs to get the roster filled out.   They still made the Finals is yr one.     I dont really like it.   I think they should split that money among a few quality vets.    Still it has worked before so we will see.

I think someone mentioned it, but if you have three max players one of them get the short end and ends up playing and putting up 2nd or 3rd tier stats.  Might as well just pay 2nd or 3rd tier money at that point. 

1 minute ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I think someone mentioned it, but if you have three max players one of them get the short end and ends up playing and putting up 2nd or 3rd tier stats.  Might as well just pay 2nd or 3rd tier money at that point. 

Right that is why I say they would be better served splitting the money between a few guys.   Just saying it worked before

Lebron was what 29-30 tho? He'll be 36 for year 3 of the Lakers experiment

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:
1 hour ago, d2o said:

Lebron was what 29-30 tho? He'll be 36 for year 3 of the Lakers experiment

AD is 26 and most of the big time studs that they might sign for a max deal are in their primes as well.  

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

They are obviously going above the cap. 

1 hour ago, d2o said:

We did see that - and they lost in the Finals - but that was a bit of a different era under a different CBA. LA should be able to fill out the roster to some degree to not suck complete ass off of the bench. 

To your point though, even if they do suck off the bench, they will still be good (assuming AD doesn't tear an MCL 25 games into the season and LeBron doesn't start skipping practice to produce reality TV, both of which I give a 40% chance of happening)

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They are obviously going above the cap. 

We did see that - and they lost in the Finals - but that was a bit of a different era under a different CBA. LA should be able to fill out the roster to some degree to not suck complete ass off of the bench. 

To your point though, even if they do suck off the bench, they will still be good (assuming AD doesn't tear an MCL 25 games into the season and LeBron doesn't start skipping practice to produce reality TV, both of which I give a 40% chance of happening)

I know there are special provisions for filling out the roster but if they use $2M a guy they will have 11 players on their roster when they reach the cap.  Its not like they can go out and get a $10M guy after they have reached the cap.  They're going to end up with a bunch of veterans minimum guys and a few rookies or something.  If they get a third max-level guy (they'll end up with Butler after Kawhi signs a 1+1 with toronto) then bringing Melo in will probably be the best roster move they can make.  Think about that... Melo is going to be the only value asset besides Kuzma.

I'd love to see what the production levels are for guys who are free agents taking the vet minimums.  I can't believe that it is a very fruitful venture to bring these guys in and have them account for 55% of the minutes played on any given night.

I think we should start a pool on how long Vogel lasts and if he leaves on his own or due to Lebron bitching that they can't win with this coach/roster.  My guess is he just says "fuck it" and walks after a year.  Enter Lue.

13 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I think we should start a pool on how long Vogel lasts and if he leaves on his own or due to Lebron bitching that they can't win with this coach/roster.  My guess is he just says "fuck it" and walks after a year.  Enter Lue.

Lulz.  That's Jason Kidd's gig forthcoming.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I know there are special provisions for filling out the roster but if they use $2M a guy they will have 11 players on their roster when they reach the cap.  Its not like they can go out and get a $10M guy after they have reached the cap.  They're going to end up with a bunch of veterans minimum guys and a few rookies or something.  If they get a third max-level guy (they'll end up with Butler after Kawhi signs a 1+1 with toronto) then bringing Melo in will probably be the best roster move they can make.  Think about that... Melo is going to be the only value asset besides Kuzma.

I'd love to see what the production levels are for guys who are free agents taking the vet minimums.  I can't believe that it is a very fruitful venture to bring these guys in and have them account for 55% of the minutes played on any given night.

I don't know why it matters who they sign #11 or #12 through #15. No team in the NBA is paying their 12th man $10 million a season. I kind of fail to understand the point you're making, honestly, other than that they are not super deep - but that's what happens when you go superstar heavy like they are. 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't know why it matters who they sign #11 or #12 through #15. No team in the NBA is paying their 12th man $10 million a season. I kind of fail to understand the point you're making, honestly, other than that they are not super deep - but that's what happens when you go superstar heavy like they are. 

Some are intent on making this Lakers thing a complete and utter failure no matter what they do.    You cannot use rational argument with that group.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

It has worked out, but both Bosh and Love as #3 stars were both somewhat marginalized and disgruntled as a result.  I agree that using that money on 2-3 quality players to fill out the balance of the starting/early bench rotation would probably work out better, because everyone would understand there is one ball, and it goes through the 2 big dogs first.

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, at best he's middle class man's Klay.

Just the way it is now.  You have to overpay to keep your guys.   The only way to get them to not check the market is to give them max deals.   It almost ends with that contract being an albatross.   Almost always from the day its signed and it generally gets worse as the contract ages.

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

Just now, d2o said:

Just the way it is now.  You have to overpay to keep your guys.   The only way to get them to not check the market is to give them max deals.

And unfortunately for MIL someone will pay Middleton the max if he wants it. 

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

Al Horford	33	C	$38,150,000 	

From the link posted above. That's his cap figure according to them.

His option was 30.2M for the coming yr.   That cannot be right.

EDIT: his cap number last season was $28,928,710

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston_celtics/

Edited by d2o

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And unfortunately for MIL someone will pay Middleton the max if he wants it. 

Yep, you have to pay to maintain continuity but man it hurts sometimes.  This is gonna be one of those times.

13 minutes ago, d2o said:

I've liked Middleton and thought he was a NBA player all the way back when he was at A&M..........................that said giving him a full max 5 yr deal is crazy.

Yes. It's like some people don't realize they are good players because of the stars they play with make them better. My guess is Middleton being the #1 option for a team will end in disaster, as opposed to him being the 3rd/4th option that he currently is on Milwaukee.

10 minutes ago, Llogg said:

9 minutes ago, d2o said:

I think Spotrac is bugged or hasn't updated. There shouldn't be a figure at all - he opted out. Previous to opting out his cap hold was just over $30MM iirc. 

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You also have too many teams with tons of salary cap room that are going to end up filling it with overpaid players.

Yep, that too.   More money than star players is how we ended up with guys like Evan Turner and Allen Crabbe on max deals.

Just now, ztejas said:

I think Spotrac is bugged or hasn't updated. There shouldn't be a figure at all - he opted out. Previous to opting out his cap hold was just over $30MM iirc. 

Well I guess that could be his cap hold for next season though.   Its normally like 120-5% of your previous salary I think.   Maybe that is what they are referring to.    His cap hold won't clear until either BOS renounces his rights or he actually signs with another team.

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

Not sure what info that site is using then. Thanks for the correction.

I still don't see how they are only able to get to 28M in cap room. From that site their projected payroll for next season on the books without Horford or Irving is currently $64,269,347. So 118M is the cap and should leave them with 54M in room. What's the missing variable?

18 minutes ago, Llogg said:

No it's not. His PO was for $30M. That is his cap hold based on the maximum salary he would qualify for under a new max deal. If you took his previous salary * 150%, that would be like $42M which is more than 35% of the cap, which is what a supermax deal starts at. 35% of the $109M cap is $38,150,000, so that is his cap hold.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Not sure what info that site is using then. Thanks for the correction.

I still don't see how they are only able to get to 28M in cap room. From that site their projected payroll for next season on the books without Horford or Irving is currently $64,269,347. So 118M is the cap and should leave them with 54M in room. What's the missing variable?

For one the cap will only be 109M next yr.    Next they have holds for Marcus Morris and Aron Baynes totaling about 15-6M.  64 +15 = 79 so that 28-9M projected space sounds about right when you factor in league min holds as well to fill the roster.

Edited by d2o

6 minutes ago, d2o said:

For one the cap will only be 109M next yr.    Next they have holds for Marcus Morris and Aron Baynes totaling about 15-6M.  64 +15 = 79 so that 28-9M projected space sounds about right when you factor in league min holds as well to fill the roster.

Baynes opted in.

You also have to count the cap holds their 1st round picks hold as well.

Edited by HtownHorn

5 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Utah trades Korver, Grayson Allen, Jae Crowder and draft picks to Memphis for Mike Conley

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Man, every NBA off-season seems to be crazy but this one is shaping up to be absolutely nuts.

That should mean Rubio will be moved somewhere soon too.

EDIT: My fault Rubio is a FA. 

Edited by d2o

3 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Utah trades Korver, Grayson Allen, Jae Crowder and draft picks to Memphis for Mike Conley

Thought Korver was going to retire.  Maybe he still does, but him being tossed in was probably just so the numbers matched.

6 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Conley is a stud. Good move for Utah.

Quick Google search suggests Chris Gatling was the most traded player in NBA history (8x). Crowder might challenge that if he sticks around the league long enough

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's exactly the point I'm making.  You're relying on health of an aging lebron and an AD who only plays 80% of the time due to injury.  If they go with a 3rd superstar then they might end up worse than the last two bulls teams that Jimmy Butler played on if the injury bug hits them.  Like D2o said, they're better off spreading the money around to multiple serviceable guys rather than one big name and 11 vet minimums who can't play.  They're going to have to play a 9-10 man rotation to get through the season with any gas left in the tank.

The greater thought in all of this is that they grossly fucked their roster to get one guy.  Now they have to fuck it even more to accomplish their grand plan.  A plan that the worst player GM/agent/rob pelinka combo has devised.  The lakers are going to hurt from this when AD and Lebron combine to miss 20-25 games.  They should have either waited a year to get AD or not bid against themselves in the first place, or even after that at least get all of the aspects of the deal right.  They had 3 chances to not fuck it up and they fucked it up each time.  

The Lakers seem to be actively trying to fuck themselves. At least the knicks are just incompetent boobs.

Just now, TommyGufano said:

Conley is a stud. Good move for Utah.

Quick Google search suggests Chris Gatling was the most traded player in NBA history (8x). Crowder might challenge that if he sticks around the league long enough

Utah wanted Conley badly last yr at the deadline.   They just couldnt get the deal done.     He will help them but that makes their small backcourt smaller.

34 minutes ago, d2o said:

Just the way it is now.  You have to overpay to keep your guys.   The only way to get them to not check the market is to give them max deals.   It almost ends with that contract being an albatross.   Almost always from the day its signed and it generally gets worse as the contract ages.

I'm surprised that teams haven't started offering declining contracts to guys after age 31-32.  Give them big dollars up front and then have them decline by $1-3M a year, or heavily decline by like $5M in the last year or two.  Of course that doesn't work if the cap is ever increasing, but as the money starts to top out (like it is starting to) then give CP3 $37M while he is in the last year of his prime and have his deal down to $30 by the time he is 35.  This should be exactly how they do it for guys that are stars but don't have the marketability of someone like LBJ.  You could pay him $50M a year his last year in the league and he'd probably be worth it from a marketing standpoint.

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

I'm surprised that teams haven't started offering declining contracts to guys after age 31-32.  Give them big dollars up front and then have them decline by $1-3M a year, or heavily decline by like $5M in the last year or two.  Of course that doesn't work if the cap is ever increasing, but as the money starts to top out (like it is starting to) then give CP3 $37M while he is in the last year of his prime and have his deal down to $30 by the time he is 35.  This should be exactly how they do it for guys that are stars but don't have the marketability of someone like LBJ.  You could pay him $50M a year his last year in the league and he'd probably be worth it from a marketing standpoint.

It would significantly effect teams cap room in the present.    That is all they are really concerned about.