2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

So much has happened over the past three weeks -- the Warriors injuries, AD going to LA, Boston taking a tumble -- it's incredible. I can't remember the league ever being this chaotic. Teams are going to do stupid shit, make lopsided trades, take unnecessary risks, give out head scratching terrible contracts to scrubs, etc. It's going to be fascinating to watch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

So much has happened over the past three weeks -- the Warriors injuries, AD going to LA, Boston taking a tumble -- it's incredible. I can't remember the league ever being this chaotic. Teams are going to do stupid shit, make lopsided trades, take unnecessary risks, give out head scratching terrible contracts to scrubs, etc. It's going to be fascinating to watch.

Yep. The Warriors dynasty ending (or, if you're an eternal optimist, being put on pause) has taken the offseason drama to a new level.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Yep. The Warriors dynasty ending (or, if you're an eternal optimist, being put on pause) has taken the offseason drama to a new level.

Yep, I am SO here for it!!   Gonna be wild as fuck these next couple of weeks

Interesting.   Seems like something the league would  not approve of but I'm not sure how you could stop it.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254317/Warriors-Kevin-Durant-Weighing-Potential-Delayed-Sign-And-Trade

The Golden State Warriors and Kevin Durant could agree to a deal worth approximately $220 million over five seasons, but he would be traded to another team at a later date.

"One of the things being discussed right now is the Golden State Warriors would offer Kevin Durant a five-year contract (with) $57 million extra that he could get than signing elsewhere," said Brian Windhorst. "Let him rehab and then work with him to be traded. Potentially to New York, potentially to somewhere else. Be their way to sort of take care of him monetarily after what he just went through and also protect the franchise to get some assets.

"If that happens, the Knicks would be in tremendous position to get back into it because they're going to have these young assets and cap space."

Windhorst further explained the scenario.

"For lack of a better term, it would be a delayed sign-and-trade," said Windhorst. "Because this is the only way Durant could get five years and play elsewhere. I'm just going to be honest with you: the Warriors going for this is a bit of a last ditch effort to not lose Kevin Durant for nothing. And what he would get out of it is an extra $57 million.

"Now you'd have to trust the Warriors that they would actually work with you in a trade, but it has at least been discussed."

Frank Isola of The Athletic reported the Warriors' interest in this scenario earlier in June.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, d2o said:

Interesting.   Seems like something the league would  not approve of but I'm not sure how you could stop it.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254317/Warriors-Kevin-Durant-Weighing-Potential-Delayed-Sign-And-Trade

The Golden State Warriors and Kevin Durant could agree to a deal worth approximately $220 million over five seasons, but he would be traded to another team at a later date.

"One of the things being discussed right now is the Golden State Warriors would offer Kevin Durant a five-year contract (with) $57 million extra that he could get than signing elsewhere," said Brian Windhorst. "Let him rehab and then work with him to be traded. Potentially to New York, potentially to somewhere else. Be their way to sort of take care of him monetarily after what he just went through and also protect the franchise to get some assets.

"If that happens, the Knicks would be in tremendous position to get back into it because they're going to have these young assets and cap space."

Windhorst further explained the scenario.

"For lack of a better term, it would be a delayed sign-and-trade," said Windhorst. "Because this is the only way Durant could get five years and play elsewhere. I'm just going to be honest with you: the Warriors going for this is a bit of a last ditch effort to not lose Kevin Durant for nothing. And what he would get out of it is an extra $57 million.

"Now you'd have to trust the Warriors that they would actually work with you in a trade, but it has at least been discussed."

Frank Isola of The Athletic reported the Warriors' interest in this scenario earlier in June.

Wow. That is interesting indeed. Golden State takes next year "off" (I still think they'll make the playoffs and be pretty formidable once Klay returns), sees how Draymond holds up over an entire season of high use before they decide on his future, then potentially reload with a nice haul for KD next offseason.

The problem is, KD would only agree to this if he gets full control over where he lands, which severely limits the package they could get.

Edited by aggie08

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Love me some Chiney...  may watch. 

Ogwumike_in_2017.jpg

I like black women but you have interesting taste. 

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I have a feeling this season is going to be the Jordan Rides the Bus of the current era. I could see the Ws rattling off another 2 or 3 when they get Klay and KD back (assuming they max KD and he stays to play another year or two - which is my current stance on what will probably happen). 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I like black women but you have interesting taste. 

I have a feeling this season is going to be the Jordan Rides the Bus of the current era. I could see the Ws rattling off another 2 or 3 when they get Klay and KD back (assuming they max KD and he stays to play another year or two - which is my current stance on what will probably happen). 

Champagne will taste just as good for whoever gets the rings next yr.

A lot of things can change by the time both Klay and KD are ready to go too.   This was always my stance for people who said you punt on seasons until GSW's run is over.    You build the best team you can to be ready cause it can and did change very quickly.

Edited by d2o

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Wow. That is interesting indeed. Golden State takes next year "off" (I still think they'll make the playoffs and be pretty formidable once Klay returns), see how Draymond holds up over an entire season of high use, then potentially reload with a huge haul for KD next offseason.

The problem is, KD would only agree to this if he gets full control over where he lands, which severely limits any leverage.

Having some sort of agreement to trade at a certain time seems like it would be considered "extra compensation".   It's a special situation cause KD won't be able to play for pretty much a yr so it may not be worth trying to prevent but I can't imagine the league would be happy about this plan being reported

Edited by d2o

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

Champagne will taste just as good for whoever gets the rings next yr.

A lot of things can change by the time both Klay and KD are ready to go too.   This was always my stance for people who said you punt on seasons until GSW's run is over.    You build the best team you can be ready cause it can and did change very quickly.

There's some pretty funny irony in that the last time Durant missed a season it kicked off this Warriors dynasty. Wonder if the 2nd time around it will open the door for another squad trying to get over the hump (if it already didn't for Toronto). 

49 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I honestly think they'll try to tank this year.  Line up a bunch of Round 2 picks, let Steph have an offseason or beginning of season surgery to 'clean some things up', full tank mode for the season.  

10 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I honestly think they'll try to tank this year.  Line up a bunch of Round 2 picks, let Steph have an offseason or beginning of season surgery to 'clean some things up', full tank mode for the season.  

it probably wouldnt hurt. theyve played 6 regular seasons the last 5 yrs when you factor post season games.get a cheap good first rd pick thatll help your bench for 2020

6 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

No chance you convince a player to take a full year of their prime completely off. They'll do their best not to run Steph into the ground. But an ACL isn't a two year injury anymore, especially with Klay, a guy who doesn't depend on explosion. He could be close to 100% by April.

Now, if Steph gets a couple semi-serious real injuries and they're scrapping for an 8 seed, then all bets are off.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

No chance you convince a player to take a full year of their prime completely off. They'll do their best not to run Steph into the ground. But an ACL isn't a two year injury anymore, especially with Klay, a guy who doesn't depend on explosion. He could be close to 100% by April.

Now, if Steph gets a couple semi-serious real injuries and they're scrapping for an 8 seed, then all bets are off.

You also have the fact that they are opening their new arena with the accompanying insane ticket prices.  If I was dropping a couple of grand per game, tanking would not make me a very happy customer.

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That's kind of my point.  Klay could be ready by April, but you treat him like the Mavs did Porzingis, let him practice but don't bring him back.  With Steph, there is always the specter of his ankle and knee health.  

I'm not saying you convince Steph to take a full year off in their prime, I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised to see him having some latent effects of playing in 5 straight finals.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him play less than 50 games next year.  If he does, you go full tank mode and load up for the 20-21 season and another run of dominance.  

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

That's kind of my point.  Klay could be ready by April, but you treat him like the Mavs did Porzingis, let him practice but don't bring him back.  With Steph, there is always the specter of his ankle and knee health.  

I'm not saying you convince Steph to take a full year off in their prime, I'm saying that I wouldn't be surprised to see him having some latent effects of playing in 5 straight finals.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him play less than 50 games next year.  If he does, you go full tank mode and load up for the 20-21 season and another run of dominance.  

This is a better course of action than anyone is giving you credit for. Yeah they aren't bad enough to tank, but they aren't doing shit in the playoffs with this roster without KD and Klay - especially once/if they drop close to $80 million on those two for 2020. 

Draymond has some significant mileage himself at this point - they should play for 50 wins, give Dray and Steph about 32 mpg, try and develop some of the youngins, and get ready to contend again in 2020. 

If Klay comes back they could try and make a dark-horse run (feels weird typing that) - but if he isn't back by the playoffs they are probably going down in 5-6 games. Just double Steph and abuse them in the paint. Toronto already gave the league the blueprint. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, d2o said:

Having some sort of agreement to trade at a certain time seems like it would be considered "extra compensation".   It's a special situation cause KD won't be able to play for pretty much a yr so it may not be worth trying to prevent but I can't imagine the league would be happy about this plan being reported

When's the earliest you can trade a newly signed contract? Like Dec 15? Maybe Golden State wouldn't even have wait until next season to retool. But, if KD only wants to be traded to, say, Brooklyn or New York, do they even have enough pieces to be worth taking in the equivalent of KD's salary?

Like Windhorst said, this feels more like a last ditch chance to keep KD long term. Give him a year to sit back and watch Kyrie destroy the confidence of Brooklyn's kids and New York trip over their dicks, and see if he reassesses his priorities.

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

When's the earliest you can trade a newly signed contract? Like Dec 15? Maybe Golden State wouldn't even have wait until next season to retool. But, if KD only wants to be traded to, say, Brooklyn or New York, do they even have enough pieces to be worth taking in the equivalent of KD's salary?

Like Windhorst said, this feels more like a last ditch chance to keep KD long term. Give him a year to sit back and watch Kyrie destroy the confidence of Brooklyn's kids and New York trip over their dicks, and see if he reassesses his priorities.

Yep Dec 15th.   So that wouldnt matter in this situation as KD won't be playing anyway.   It would be interesting to see if a healthy player was in that situation if his team would try to work something like that out so that they don't lose him for nothing and he could get the full 5 yr max/supermax.    Then the team could just say no their aren't going to trade him after he signs or trade the player where ever cause then they have the leverage of him under a full contract.    That's why I say then league isn't going to be happy about something like that.

Its definitely a way for him to see if the grass is actually greener before jumping to either spot.   He could then expand his list of destinations or ultimately stay.

Edited by d2o

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

What more evidence could Kevin Durant possibly need in order to determine that the Knicks are one of the worst run organizations in professional sports? If he  didn't give a shit before, I can't imagine what they could do in the coming year to make it worse. 

This is true.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

What more evidence could Kevin Durant possibly need in order to determine that the Knicks are one of the worst run organizations in professional sports? If he  didn't give a shit before, I can't imagine what they could do in the coming year to make it worse. 

He would be doing exactly what Melo did, he would be killing the franchise he wanted to be traded to by tearing a ton of their assets away from them.  It would be incredibly stupid and I would doubt KD would win another championship ever in this scenario if traded to the Knicks.

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He would be doing exactly what Melo did, he would be killing the franchise he wanted to be traded to by tearing a ton of their assets away from them.  It would be incredibly stupid and I would doubt KD would win another championship ever in this scenario if traded to the Knicks.

Like Melo, he would get his money thought!!

34 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Maybe James Dolan dies? I don't know, I got nothin'.

Them missing out on KD and KI and panic maxing the worst of the available K's--Kemba and Khris--would be beautiful.

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Heat trade of a 2024 second-rounder actually a cash deal

By IRA WINDERMAN.  JUN 20, 2019

The 2024 second-round pick dealt Wednesday by the Miami Heat to the Atlanta Hawks likely will not wind up being conveyed.  Instead, the trade for the No. 44 selection in Thursday's NBA draft could be limited to a cash transaction.  An NBA source confirmed to the Sun Sentinel that the pick dealt to the Hawks only will be conveyed if it falls between No. 51 and No. 55 in 2024. Otherwise that element of the deal will be extinguished. A portion of that Heat 2024 Heat selection previously was committed to the Cleveland Cavaliers for selections No. 56-60, as payment for the 2016 re-acquisition of Dwayne Wade. If it does not fall within that range the obligation to the Cavs would also be extinguished.  In essence, the Heat only will pass along that 2024 second-round selection is if they finish the 2023-24 season with one of the 10 best records in the NBA.  Instead, the tangible portion of the trade with the Hawks from the Heat perspective is the $1.88 million sent to Atlanta in order to acquire Thursday's No. 44 selection.

That cash came as part of the $5.3 million league-maximum cash allotment the Heat had at their disposal for the 2018-19 NBA fiscal calendar. The Heat previously spent $1.8 million as part of the cost of trading Tyler Johnson's contract at the February NBA trading deadline.  Teams receive such allotments that reset annually, as will be the case for the Heat on July 1. The Heat's 2017-18 spending allotment was sent to the Dallas Mavericks as part of the Josh McRoberts salary dump.

The Heat’s $1.88 million payment to the Hawks falls in the range of recent payments for such picks. The Golden State Warriors on Thursday paid $1.3 million for the Hawks’ No. 41 pick in the second round, with that transaction also including the forwarding of a future second-round pick to Atlanta.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-sp-miami-heat-nba-draft-notebook-20190620-45j4fbzsufgq5n25d2uiuanrdi-story.html

Edited by LTtxfan

30 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Pretty sure the Knicks killed the Knicks.  I think joakom Noah is still on their payroll.

It's a good point though.  What do the Knicks have that the warriors would want

Location?

That might be about it.  One could argue SF > NYC, I reckon.

39 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Pretty sure the Knicks killed the Knicks.  I think joakom Noah is still on their payroll.

It's a good point though.  What do the Knicks have that the warriors would want

the couple of decent young players that the Knicks have.  Kevin Knox and Mitchell Robinson.    Either could turn into really good players.   Even if they don't they would upgrade GSW's depth significantly.   Along with multiple draft picks to further that depth.

Edited by d2o

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

the couple of decent young players that the Knicks have.  Kevin Knox and Mitchell Robinson.    Either could turn into really good players.   Even if they don't they would upgrade GSW's depth significantly.

Not sure the motivation for NYC to do this.  If they can sign KD with cap space, why would they trade a young prospect for him.  The only reason for a KD sign and trade is for an over the cap team with something warriors want.  And they don't want a shit contract.  They might take a short shit contract if a young budding all star is attached. I guess the point is if KD gets signed and traded it won't be to NYC.

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

Not sure the motivation for NYC to do this.  If they can sign KD with cap space, why would they trade a young prospect for him.  The only reason for a KD sign and trade is for an over the cap team with something warriors want.  And they don't want a shit contract.  They might take a short shit contract if a young budding all star is attached.

NYC wouldn't have much choice in the matter if KD decides to sign back with GSW for the max.        The goal in this would be a) for KD to get the full max contract that he could not get if he signed outright with the Knicks and b) the Warriors to not lose KD without any compensation.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

NYC wouldn't have much choice in the matter if KD decides to sign back with GSW for the max.        The goal in this would be a) for KD to get the full max contract that he could not get if he signed outright with the Knicks and b) the Warriors to not lose KD without any compensation.

Ok, it makes sense now.  

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the price better be really low.  he shoots 3s decently.  doesn't play defense.  

Yea, he can score but that's about it.  His 3 point % spiked this year which probably means he worked on it but also that's unsustainable at last year's rate.  Probably mid to high 30's and he could be a decent bench wing.  He's young so he could refine his skils.

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Wasn't Josh Jackson who they wouldn't include in a Kyrie trade a couple years back?

I dont remember that being the reason that deal fell apart.   you talking about the 3 way the would have got PG to the Cavs right?

Not sure Josh Jackson's stock could be any lower. He just got arrested at some concert for crashing the VIP room and then just a couple of hours ago his baby mama accused him of giving his 4 month old child a contact high. Plus he's been terrible on the court. The Spurs were reportedly trying to trade up to get him on draft night but they have zero tolerance for that off the court stuff.