Jay Norvell might be a pretty good head coach

texifornia

If you self-medicated your way through the Strong era, Norvell cleaned up the Watson mess as "co-OC" then was pushed out and jumped to Arizona State. Apparently he's doing some fun things at Nevada:

Life in the improving MWC West is a lot trickier than it was a couple of years ago, but Nevada’s schedule is a strange mix of high floor and low ceiling.

• On one hand, a cushy home slate should give Nevada margin for error when it comes to reaching a bowl. Five of six home opponents are projected 94th or worse in S&P+, plus one of the road games is against worst-in-FBS UTEP. Despite only a No. 83 overall projection, the Pack have at least 82 percent win probability in four games.
  • On the other hand, trips to Oregon, Utah State, Fresno State, and SDSU could put a hard cap on the win total. The Pack have a win probability of 29 percent or lower in four games.

Really, there are only a few potential tossups here. A home upset of Purdue in Week 1 could trigger a run at nine wins or so, but this will probably be a six- to seven-win year, maybe eight with some breaks.

With the foundation Norvell appears to be building, that’s fine. Solidify gains, sign another excellent class, and keep building a potential West Division powerhouse.

Yes, he was mainly responsible for the upset win over BlowU in 2015.

ChinVisor had pushed him out after 7 years after the 2014 season and he came directly to us as a wide receiver's coach.

After Coach Potato saw that Shawn Watson was a cast extra for the Walking Dead after the Notre Dame debacle, Norvell was given play calling duties.

As the BlowU game unfolded, you could tell that Norvell knew all of the BlowU defensive tendencies and adjusted the play calling accordingly.

13 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

As the BlowU game unfolded, you could tell that Norvell knew all of the BlowU defensive tendencies and adjusted the play calling accordingly.

Ed Zachary. I was impressed by Norvell, thought he did a hell of a job given what he was up against. Really thought he might get a shot at OC, still think it would've been the Right Thing To Do ™ in more than one sense.

Good luck to him.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:
1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

always thought he was a pretty good dude.  always enjoyed banging his former sister in law as well.

VERY strong humblebrag. I dig it.

Sure, but... the rule, it made the shaggyleap, dinnit?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

Yes, he was mainly responsible for the upset win over BlowU in 2015.

ChinVisor had pushed him out after 7 years after the 2014 season and he came directly to us as a wide receiver's coach.

After Coach Potato saw that Shawn Watson was a cast extra for the Walking Dead after the Notre Dame debacle, Norvell was given play calling duties.

Funny this is brought up. The Rivals guys on their podcast this week were reliving about how poor recruiting was under Norvell 

The guy was horror show of big stiff kids.

His best player was Sterling Shepard. A player Norvell didn't think he was good enough for an offer. Luckily, Stoops overruled him.

That said, seems like a really good guy. 

8 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

Good to see.......I liked Norvell when he was here.....curious if he has a good run at Nevada if it will lead to a bigger gig.

you think?

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

VERY strong humblebrag. I dig it.

you don’t know what she looks like. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The reason he had so much pressure to recruit in the first place is bc Stoops was above hitting the road and doing any work himself.  Bobby was the fucking problem, but good to see him scapegoating guys worked on the gullible set...

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Reply to BuddyHinton

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The reason he had so much pressure to recruit in the first place is bc Stoops was above hitting the road and doing any work himself.  Bobby was the fucking problem, but good to see him scapegoating guys worked on the gullible set...

Seriously?

He was the WR receiver coach. It was his job to identify and recruit that talent. He wasn't good at it.

Most of his recruits never made past the 1st year. Fir instance, his 2013 class - Dannon Cavil, KJ Young, Austin Bennett and Jordon Smallwood. Quite a group. 3 guys who never played a down and one that was a blocking WR. That was par for the course WR recruiting under him

I'm not sure why you think it's the head coaches job to hit the road to find talent. You think Saban, Dabo, or Herman are out on Friday nights weeding out the talent? 

Nobody said Stoops scapegoated Norvell. The Rivals guys mentioned it on a podcast 7 years later. I'm sure that info did come from BS.

They were just discussing how the WR talent has risen at OU since Dennis Simmons was brought on board

• Fuck You 2

8 minutes ago, Buddy Hinton said:

Seriously?

He was the WR receiver coach. It was his job to identify and recruit that talent. He wasn't good at it.

Most of his recruits never made past the 1st year. Fir instance, his 2013 class - Dannon Cavil, KJ Young, Austin Bennett and Jordon Smallwood. Quite a group. 3 guys who never played a down and one that was a blocking WR. That was par for the course WR recruiting under him

I'm not sure why you think it's the head coaches job to hit the road to find talent. You think Saban, Dabo, or Herman are out on Friday nights weeding out the talent? 

Nobody said Stoops scapegoated Norvell. The Rivals guys mentioned it on a podcast 7 years later. I'm sure that info did come from BS.

They were just discussing how the WR talent has risen at OU since Dennis Simmons was brought on board

I do think LR is out there getting talent.  And if you think Stoops wasn’t on the exact same path as Mack, you’re kidding yourself.  He was fat and happy.

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I do think LR is out there getting talent.  And if you think Stoops wasn’t on the exact same path as Mack, you’re kidding yourself.  He was fat and happy.

I  agree with you there. Bob had very little desire to recruit in today's game.I think that is why he stepped away. He loves coaching football, but not the other requirements and especially the recruiting

Oklahoma has many things going for it, but the sheer lack of numbers in the HS ranks in the home state makes it a job that requires effort. You need an energetic young coach like a LR. Or a young Bobby.

• Fuck You 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2019 at 9:43 AM, PencilPusher said:

Good to see.......I liked Norvell when he was here.....curious if he has a good run at Nevada if it will lead to a bigger gig.

Norvell might be better off just seeing how far he can get at Nevada, not much pressure for 11 win seasons...

Norvell did an amazing job here when you consider he was handed the keys to the playcalling room in the week between games one and two by coach clueless..

But one of the best thing Chuckles did for us is taking him away from blowU.

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Norvell did an amazing job here when you consider he was handed the keys to the playcalling room in the week between games one and two..

He was also surrounded by dopes and incompetents.