Interior painting

Looking to paint the living room tomorrow. Back when we moved in about 7 years ago, we painted several of the rooms, and used blue tape to cover the ceiling, baseboards, etc. And we ended up with a tiny bit of bleed-through/over in a couple of areas. Nothing really terrible, but enough to irritate me. I made sure to press the tape down with some force behind it, etc. and still ended up with a few bleed spots.

Anyone have any good tips on how to avoid this? And/or just general tips/timesavers for painting indoors in general? I'd like to get this done tomorrow morning and get in the pool with a beer as quickly as possible.

Make sure the tape is pressed firm and aligned well on the masked surface. This is the only real trick. Pull up the tape while the paint is wet. That should work well but you can still always wipe up bleed through since the paint is still wet.

Do not pull up the tape once the paint has dried since that could rip up the paint.

• Like 1

Grab a can of Aquanet, the painters' trick is to hair spray the edge of the tape. 

Just used one of these while painting our mountains house. Worked as advertised.  About the cost of tape for multiple rooms. Whole rooms edged faster than you can lay tape. Will use from now on. https://www.accubrush.com/accubrush-products/#mx

You'll still need a quality angled brush for the corners.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

Yea, cut in with good angled brush and forget the tape. You’ll get the hang of it. Masking is a pain in the ass. Have a damp rag to wipe any mess up off ceiling, don’t worry about any mess up on base molding when cutting in wall because base is painted last and it will be covered, any mess up on floor while painting base can be cleaned with razor after dry.

• Like 1

blue tape is better now.  Seriously.  Shit's expensive, but the "no bleed" shit works. 

No. It still sucks ass. There’s better tape out there. If you tape, make damn sure the edge is pressed down good

A good brush, angled, maybe a stiff bristled one. Take your time. Have a wet rag. It’s easy to wipe up while it’s wet.

One other trick...if you're painting where the wall meets the ceiling, you can tape like you normally would but first paint along the tape with the CEILING color. After that dries you can paint the wall. That wall the ceiling color bleeds through onto the ceiling, but the wall color doesn't. Of course this only works if you have both colors on hand.

You can also run a bead of clear calk along the tape line, smooth the calk so it gets under the tape, paint and remove the tape before the paint dries. I've never done this, but I saw a painter do it and was amazed. 

Watch the videos that the Idaho painter does on YouTube. They talk about doing that. I wanted to try it, but damn I hate messing with caulk.

Taped the baseboards, but freehanded the ceiling. Turned out great. There are a few spots on the textured wall that the roller didn't quite get that I'll have to touch up, but overall just freehanding worked well. Messed up a few times and used the wet rag trick. Didn't even put drop cloths down. It was faster to clean up the bit of splatter with a razorblade than it was to put the cloths down. Started at 10am, was in the pool by 3pm. Thanks for all of the tips fellas.

Now the wife wants to do the entire rest of the downstairs. FML.

Edited by BradInATX

34 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Taped the baseboards, but freehanded the ceiling. Turned out great. There are a few spots on the textured wall that the roller didn't quite get that I'll have to touch up, but overall just freehanding worked well. Messed up a few times and used the wet rag trick. Didn't even put drop cloths down. It was faster to clean up the bit of splatter with a razorblade than it was to put the cloths down. Started at 10am, was in the pool by 3pm. Thanks for all of the tips fellas.

Now the wife wants to do the entire rest of the downstairs. FML.

Invoices in the mail.....

I bought that and used it. It does work, but if you put the wheels on the surface you are trying to keep paint off of, then it doesn’t get to the wall. I turned mine to the side and used the pad to get right up to the surface and it worked a lot better. You just need extra pads to do that because those go to shit after a room.

23 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Always make it seem worse.  Might get you a pity blowjob or two.

This is the arrangement we have.

I’ve painted every room in house except living room (has 26’ ceilings). I paid a guy to do living room and entire ceiling downstairs and up. I hate paying people to do shit but I hung the curtains in there, fuck that. 

26' ceilings, wow you must be rich.

We're doing the reno thing on our house now. I get to scrape fucking popcorn and paint.  About halfway thru.  I don't mind it though, since I'm doing most of the work, I get to do it exactly how I want.  Put on some Howard Stern circa 2006, get lost in the process.

best tip (other than those mentioned above) i've learned in many years of painting is to wipe the area and let it dry before taping.  If there's even a thin coat of dust on the baseboards or molding, etc. the tape will not hold well regardless of how hard you press the edges.  

1 hour ago, kangsta said:

best tip (other than those mentioned above) i've learned in many years of painting is to wipe the area and let it dry before taping.  If there's even a thin coat of dust on the baseboards or molding, etc. the tape will not hold well regardless of how hard you press the edges.  

Yep. I always wipe down walls or trim before anything gets applied to it.  Very good tip.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:35 PM, William_Cannon said:

My wife has great results with this cut-in paint tool. I’ve never used it myself, but if it helps her it must be good!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shur-Line-4-75-in-x-3-75-in-Edger-Pro-2006561/202080280

Accubrush works so much better. The roller on the Accubrush holds a lot more paint than that pad does and the rolled texture matches the rest of the wall.  https://www.accubrush.com/accubrush-products/#mx

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP