Phoenix cops threaten to shoot mom after she won't put baby on 100 deg pavement

lemonlime

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No he isn't wrong. I'd prefer to see a pain component of the settlement though.

Why would you assume it isn't a component? And ultimately, what does it matter what the components are? All the money is going to the same place regardless of how it is classified (it can make a difference for taxes though, eg, most PI stuff isn't taxed, but punitive and lost wages are)

15 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Just making the officers involved pay suggests it's a "few bad apples," as opposed to the department wide cultural problem.  it is everyone in Phoenix's problem, and there needs to be blow back to the police chief, sergeants, officers who stood by and watched this, etc.

And blow back to the voters who don't demand their elected officials do something about it

• Like 1

Just two minutes with each of those cunts is all I ask.
I’d heard about the incident but had not seen the video.
Rage.
Can’t wait to see if our resident sooner cop wants to tell us how tough their jobs are ...poor mistreated pigs.

Go ahead. Make their day.

On 6/15/2019 at 5:49 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I have plenty of friends that I served with, who went on to serve in Afghanistan and/or Iraq, and they wouldn't pull this shit in either of those places against parents with little kids.  It's a good way to A) create more people willing to look the other way while IEDs, etc. were planted, or B) create more people willing to plant IEDs, etc.

A couple have even mentioned how being friendly to the locals saved their lives - things like some kid they gave something to (candy, food, etc.), coming back a few weeks later and that kid would tell them he saw a group of men doing something along some road, and they would find an IED there, etc.

Even if these cops were ex-military, and acted like that, they are psychologically unfit to be cops, or to even own firearms.

It's not really a knock on ex-military. It's a knock on ex-military that go on to be cops.  I'm sure there are tons of ex-military who are completely done with anything miltary/paramilitary when they complete their service.  It's the ones that want to go on to what they believe is a paramilitary organization that cause all the trouble.  And, of course, they don't have to be ex-military to be that kind of aggro-psycho.  The psychological testing employed by PDs would seem to be failing.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's not really a knock on ex-military. It's a knock on ex-military that go on to be cops.  I'm sure there are tons of ex-military who are completely done with anything miltary/paramilitary when they complete their service.  It's the ones that want to go on to what they believe is a paramilitary organization that cause all the trouble.  And, of course, they don't have to be ex-military to be that kind of aggro-psycho.  The psychological testing employed by PDs would seem to be working.

FIFY.  Because...

Can a person actually be “too smart” to be a cop in America?

federal court’s decision back in 2000 suggests that, yes, you actually can be.

Robert Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, scored a 33 on an intelligence test he took as part of the application process to become a police officer in the town of New London, Connecticut. The score meant Jordan had an IQ of 125.

The average score for police officers was a 21-22, or an IQ of 104. New London would only interview candidates who scored between 20 and 27.

Jordan sued the city alleging discrimination, but the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld that it wasn’t discrimination. “Why?” you might ask. Because New London Police Department applied the same standard to everyone who applied to be a cop there.

And the theory behind it?

“Those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training,” ABC News reported back then. While at least acknowledging the basic fact that such a policy might be “unwise,” the court deemed it had a “rational basis” because it was put in place to lower cop turnover.

The police department went on to continue automatically disqualifying anyone whose IQ was “too high.” Jordan went on to become a prison guard instead.

And there you have it.

38 minutes ago, gecko said:

I wonder if we’ll discover they lifted more than a doll? Still seems harsh...

Well given that the Phoenix PD already put out a statement throwing everything they could against the wall as to the couple, I'm guessing no.  So far it's an unverified account that the father stole some underwear. But the police already lied in their police report, so I'm taking their recounting of that with a grain of salt.  And the father had a suspended license.  

And you should watch the video.  There is nothing that they could have done that would warrant how the police treated them, or moreover their young children.  

The police report is wildly inaccurate. I mean, i'm reading news sources that are saying that the police report refutes the claims of the couple. Yeah. But the fucking video refutes the claims of the police report.

I'm fucking fired up man. This couple. Philando Castile was murdered in front of his family. I don't care about the psychological makeup of cops, if you have a system where there are little to no consequences for bad actions, then you will have bad actions. It's basic logic. You can apply it to any situation, not just cops. What happened to Paul Nungesser's accuser? Nothing, which leads to Jackie from UVa.

The consequences of incidents like these are never painful enough to motivate change.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 10:53 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Soldiers and firemen are trained to put the lives of the citizens they're entrusted to protect before their own. Cops are trained to think of the citizens as their enemy. If anyone should die, better the citizen than the cop regardless of guilt or innocence. 

Yup.  The whole "whatever it takes to get home alive mentality", if taken to it's logical extreme, means that you just kill everyone you encounter.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yup.  The whole "whatever it takes to get home alive mentality", if taken to it's logical extreme, means that you just kill everyone you encounter.

And that's the default rule.  It's your burden of proof, citizen -- prove to the cop that you are NOT a threat (to HIS standards, and his standards only), or else you are a threat, and it's a free-fire zone.

"I said 'FREEZE, PUT YOUR HANDS UP,' and he moved his hands, so I shot him."  That's a good shoot right there.

The only sane response when a cop gets aggressive with you is to freeze where you are, and do NOTHING.  Don't move a muscle.  No matter what he says, just repeat so the camera can hear you (if it's on) "if I move, you'll shoot me, so I'm not going to move."

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's not really a knock on ex-military. It's a knock on ex-military that go on to be cops.  I'm sure there are tons of ex-military who are completely done with anything miltary/paramilitary when they complete their service.  It's the ones that want to go on to what they believe is a paramilitary organization that cause all the trouble.  And, of course, they don't have to be ex-military to be that kind of aggro-psycho.  The psychological testing employed by PDs would seem to be failing.

It's usually the ones who've never seen combat, and think they're Rambo, but didn't get their shot and glory in combat, and being a cop will get them their kills.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

When did police forces start referring to themselves as "paramilitary"?  The first time I heard that I remember naively being shocked.  They were there to protect and serve, not as an invading force.  

They’ve been militaristic for a long time, thanks to the DOD dumping surplus equipment on them.  

I don’t really recall them being such fucking snowflakes and having to equip themselves like they are invading Afghanistan, until, well, after 9/11 and all of those Hollywood movies showing amped up cops.