Phoenix cops threaten to shoot mom after she won't put baby on 100 deg pavement

lemonlime

My blood's boiling.

The minutes leading up to the encounter aren't in any of the videos released by family representatives. It's not clear whether officer's attempted to stop the car before the family pulled into the apartment complex or what else happened before the recording started. Ames said the video begins about 10 minutes after police first stopped them. 

The couple said it all stemmed from an anonymous call to police that their daughter stole a doll from a Family Dollar store -- something the family says was an accident. 

Ames said they were dropping off their daughter at the babysitter's apartment when an officer stopped them. He alleges the officers didn't use lights or sirens before they walked over to the parked car carrying Ames, Harper and their two daughters, ages 4 and 1.

"Next thing you know, a police officer ... comes up, open the door, banging on the window with a gun, saying he's gonna shoot us in the face, telling us to get out of the car," Ames said during a press conference Wednesday.

In one of the videos, which was recorded by a resident of the apartment complex, officers can be heard yelling and cursing at the couple. An officer identified only as Myers can be seen pointing a gun at the car. One is heard saying, "You're going to get f--king shot!" The notice of claim says the officer also tells the father," I'm going to put a cap in your ass."

Myers then goes to the back driver's side door, but could not open it because it was malfunctioning, the notice of claim detailed. He bangs on the window and tells Harper to open the door and to put her hands up. She tells him it wouldn't open and that her hands were up.

A second officer then comes up to the front seat of the car with his gun drawn and points his weapon at the father, according to the notice of claim. The officer pulls Ames out of the car. 

Another video starts with Ames lying flat on the pavement as a Phoenix police officer handcuffs him. Ames is then pulled off the ground and pressed up against a police car before the officers kicks out one of his legs. Ames is handcuffed at this time.

"He told the father to spread his legs, which the father did," the notice of claim detailed. "The officer kicked him in the right leg so hard that the father collapsed, and then the officer yanked him back up. He kept his knee between the father’s legs. He punched the father very hard in the back for no reason."

Harper and her two daughters then step out of the car. One of the officers attempts to grab one of the daughters from Harper while he's trying to take the mother into custody. She refused to follow the officer's orders to place the baby on the hot pavement.

The family said the baby was injured when the officer pulled her by the arm. Harper ultimately handed the baby off to a resident of the apartment complex. 

Ames was kept in the back of a police car for 30 minutes and Harper for 15. Ames told the officers he owned the car when questioned if he stole it. They were released after another lieutenant came and defused the situation, according to the claim. Neither Ames or Harper were charged in connection with the incident. 

The officers were not wearing body cameras. The department plans to have all patrol officers equipped with the technology by the end of the year. 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-breaking/2019/06/13/family-claims-phoenix-police-used-excessive-force-files-lawsuit/1445405001/

And because there wasn't video in the az central story:

Why don't y'all support these heroes?

As disgusting as their behavior is, and as much as they deserve to be jailed for this, the grossest thing about watching the video is knowing some people will say they did nothing wrong and that they won't even lose any pay in the end.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Why don't y'all support these heroes?

As disgusting as their behavior is, and as much as they deserve to be jailed for this, the grossest thing about watching the video is knowing some people will say they did nothing wrong and that they won't even lose any pay in the end.

Huck gets it.

I BACK THE BLUE!  IF YOU'RE NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG, YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!  THESE GUYS ARE HEROES WHO JUST WANT TO GET HOME SAFE TO THEIR FAMILIES!

They will face no consequences.  They will be praised by the voting majority of the country.  This will all get much worse before it gets better.  Except (spoiler) it's not going to get better.  This is how this shit works, how it has always worked, and how it will continue to work.

BACK THE BLUE!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Can’t this just be a cops are scum incident until we have some idea that it’s a racist incident too?

After watching so many of these videos and police interactions I've learned that the best thing to do is ignore the officer's commands and just don't move. I think back to the Daniel Shaver tape. He should have said no to the police and stayed on the ground like a star fish. One mistake and you're dead.

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

After watching so many of these videos and police interactions I've learned that the best thing to do is ignore the officer's commands and just don't move. I think back to the Daniel Shaver tape. He should have said no to the police and stayed on the ground like a star fish. One mistake and you're dead.

Shaver was in no fault; drunk isn’t a death sentence.  As someone who lives in AZ and has been on the other end of an officer gun here this shit needs to change...  

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Can’t this just be a cops are scum incident until we have some idea that it’s a racist incident too?

You'd have a point if it didn't happen so often that we all already knew the victims were people of color before having to read anything or watch a video. Cops wouldn't get away with treating white people like this. 

22 minutes ago, SDG said:

As someone who lives in AZ and has been on the other end of an officer gun here this shit needs to change...  

Vote their bosses out of office, and go after their pension.  These motherfuckers don't care, because the public picks up the tab in these lawsuits.

Not that many professions where you can fuck up so royally, and not only do you keep your job, but the public picks up your legal bills.  Fucking disgusting.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Vote their bosses out of office, and go after their pension.  These motherfuckers don't care, because the public picks up the tab in these lawsuits.

Not that many professions where you can fuck up so royally, and not only do you keep your job, but the public picks up your legal bills.  Fucking disgusting.

I’ve posted my thoughts many times including a thread TOS. 

Unfortunately; voting out has minimal effect on the rack and file.  We need complete rule changes.  If you’re gun is pulled there needs to be a reason.  

42 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You'd have a point if it didn't happen so often that we all already knew the victims were people of color before having to read anything or watch a video. Cops wouldn't get away with treating white people like this. 

Well, you’re not wrong. I withdraw my previous rhetorical question. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

That’s some crazy shit.  Hopefully those officers and the department have to answer to that behavior.  Those guys need to not have a badge. 

There’s an outside chance they’ll be given desk jobs.  For a few months.  

There’s a very food chance the taxpayers of Phoenix are going to cough up $10 million.   And if the fine citizens of Phoenix do nothing to correct this behavior, they deserve to keep paying more and 'more in taxes to fund these lawsuits, because the fact that both of those cops acted like they were in Fallujah means that’s a department issue, and not One Bad Apple.  

13 minutes ago, Thujone said:

These dick weasel piece of shit pussy ass insane fucking cops need to be sued into bolivia for traumatizing these people. Those fucking dipshits were un-fucking-hinged. 

True story, my cousin did sue and won.  The officer took an early retirement though so no idea if he still works here.  

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

I agree with that. Just play dead.

Punishing the elected officials is the best answer.

These cops work for cities and counties, run by elected officials. If they aren’t willing to rein in their bad employees, then we should fire them and get new bosses.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SDG said:

If you’re gun is pulled there needs to be a reason.  

Hate to break it to you but uh... "I felt threatened" is synonymous with "smelling the distinct odor of marijuana" in probable cause to search a vehicle. Driving while black and all that. 

I mean, at this point, it's standard practice to have a gun pointed at you before any verbal communication begins. It's just the way an officer greats you these days. 

ETA-- Oh and you should be thankful because these brave people are doing the work of the impossible. They certainly didn't sign up for this kind of thing. We should just salute them, continue to discount 50% off their meals and other items us schmucks have to pay for, and go about our business. If that video wasn't evidence enough of their purpose to protect and serve, then I don't know what to tell you. 

Edited by BigHorn'13
Heil Law Enforcement
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wish it wasn't always framed in terms of race.  That overlimits the scope of the problem and the needed solutions.  Too many cops are shitty, power-tripping fuckheads regardless of whether they're being racist at the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SDG said:

True story, my cousin did sue and won.  The officer took an early retirement though so no idea if he still works here.  

Most likely he's working corporate security making twice what he did as a cop and still drawing that sweet retirement check.

The operative word is "black". Those goons were on full race soldier mode and wanted to exert control over black bodies and the aggression, threats and physical violence were the evidence of that. They did not view those people as human beings. There is something really fucked up with our law enforcement and it's a systemic problem that has been going on since time immemorial, especially when it comes to black and brown communities. They should be fired, those assholes are going to kill someone if they haven't already. 

• Like 1

IMO mentally unstable cowards with anger issues should be in therapy...not driving around in squad cars and waiving their firearms all over the place out of fear. Cowards + Power/Guns is a terrible combination.

That video is a PERFECT example of how cops often put themselves in position to shoot someone as they themselves continually escalate the situation to the point of what we just watched in that video.

Both cops should be fired, and everyone in the policed union should be loaded up on a barge and dumped into the ocean with cement boots.

• Like 1

Yes! There’s obviously a big difference between “taking control” of the situation and “completely losing control of yourself” in the situation.

Those cops were completely out of their minds and dangerously close to pushing everything over the edge.

Superior shows up and “defuses” the situation and everyone goes about their merry way. Except that this family was likely released in a state of trauma that didn’t just wear off after a few minutes. The cops on the other hand were no doubt over it and out looking for the next victim to lose their shit on.

Edit: And kids are fucking sponges. Anyone want to guess how that four year old will feel when he sees a uniformed cop from now on?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

That was fucking insane. Those cops were out of control for sure. Makes me wonder what sort of things the employees at the Dollar store said to them on the phone when they called the police to snitch on them 

I'm curious how a 4 year old accidentally steals a doll, all the employees know about it yet the parents are totally unaware. You would think the employees would have brought it to the attention of the unaware parents as they were walking out the door.

30 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm curious how a 4 year old accidentally steals a doll, all the employees know about it yet the parents are totally unaware. You would think the employees would have brought it to the attention of the unaware parents as they were walking out the door.

Who said "all the employees" knew?  Maybe some 16 year old dingbat at the cash register called the police over this.  Or maybe they told the parents who said "fuck you" and left while grabbing an extra twenty $1 greeting cards on their way out the door.

It doesn't matter.  Our own employees, the police, shouldn't be treating people this way.  We don't know what happened before the video started.  But I can't think of any scenario where the police hysterically screaming while waving guns at a 1 year old and 4 year old, as well as their parents, didn't put all four of those people, who the police are supposed to protect and serve and who are employed by those four individuals, were in far more danger and needlessly traumatized.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, destroya said:

The public shouldn’t pay for this type of behavior. All damages and legal fees should come out of the police officers’ pension funds. 

Oh, both should pay, IMO.  We get the government we deserve.  The people of Arizona should be infuriated.  Instead, people are driving around with their blue line bumper stickers and thanking the "heroes" who are terrified of 4 year old Barbie thieves.

Is it me, or does all of their "How to De-escalate a Situation" training seem to almost exclusively involve how to escalate situations?  

Aren't cops trained at deescalation? It's a disgrace how many of them are just ultra gung ho super cop when it comes to pulling over our citizens of color. Our entire policing and prison institutions need to be overhauled and remade because this obviously isn't working.

They acted like they just caught the Boston Strangler. It’s a fucking kid who stole a doll. Jesus 

The entire police force system needs an overhaul. Some of they absolutely are not smart enough to carry guns. That should be like a detective and swat only privilege. I wouldn’t trust these retards with a stapler. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thujone said:

Oh fuck off. Kids grab shit all the time. They're like squids. Stop making fucking excuses for what happened.

Fuck off and quit chomping at the bit for something to go after. I am not responding to the police actions. I am responding to the initial events. Specifically, I was responding to the comment " Makes me wonder what sort of things the employees at the Dollar store said to them on the phone when they called the police to snitch on them". We don't know what happened at the dollar store. This could have been anything from the store employees calling the police rather than telling the parents to put the item back on the shelf or it could have been a family that has routinely been stealing and has previously been approached by the employees and the police. Before you respond though, realize that we are talking about two separate events. You were talking about the police actions at the apartment complex. I was talking about the events at the Dollar store.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

Typing on my phone so I’ll be brief.  

Not Phoenix, but Arizona police related (Tempe) so I’ll share it here.  A few years ago I was sitting inside Loco Patron on Mill ave when a couple got off the light rail.  They were yelling at each other loud enough that everyone in the bar heard it.  I’m not sure if it got physical but someone must have called the police.  Five minutes later the calvary arrived but the couple was already gone.  They came in so quick and hot someone was getting it...  The best option was a local homeless guy sitting outside minding his own business.  Next thing you know he was on the ground with taser spikes in his back.  I went outside to tell them they had the wrong guy and was greeted with a gun in my face...

A few minutes later the supervisor arrived to take everyone’s info and I told him what happened (excessive force).  He took my information and told me I’d likely be summoned to court as a witness.  Four + years later and crickets.  I’m still not sure what happened to the homeless guy...   

• Like 1