DPS Trooper of the Year Indicted

RPM

DPS sergeant indicted for evidence tampering

A Texas Department of Public Safety sergeant in Decatur has been indicted for a felony charge of tampering with evidence in a case involving his wife.

According to court records, Shawn Michael Younger, 51, of Sunset was indicted last Thursday for the third degree felony charge of tamper/fabricate physical evidence with intent to impair.

The following information was obtained from the indictment.

It alleges Younger, on Sept. 10, 2017, did “intentionally alter, destroy and conceal … an audio and visual recording of the arrest of Cara Younger, made by the Texas Department of Public Safety, with the intent to impair its verity, legibility and availability as evidence in the investigation or official proceeding.”

Cara Younger, Shawn Younger’s wife, was arrested by a DPS trooper in Wise County Sept. 6, 2017, for driving while intoxicated and evading arrest or detention with a vehicle, according to jail records. She was indicted for the third degree felony offense of evading arrest last November.

Her indictment alleges that she intentionally fled from Trooper Robert Carson who was attempting to arrest or detain her. The indictment also alleges that her vehicle was used as a deadly weapon during the commission of the offense.

The Wise County District Attorney’s Office has recused itself from both cases, and Fort Worth attorney Bill Ray has been named as a special prosecutor on both cases. Ray could not be reached by phone and did not return an email seeking comment on the cases by press deadline Tuesday. District Attorney Greg Lowery declined a request to comment.

Cara Younger’s case is still pending and no trial date has been set, according to court records.

Shawn Younger is a former Trooper of the Year, a state-wide award given by the Department of Public Safety’s Officers Association. He received the award in 2002 after he and three other men helped pull a wreck victim from a burning car on U.S. 380 near Bridgeport in April of that year. He was later promoted to sergeant at the Decatur office.

I would like to hear the status of the DPS trooper that arrested another trooper’s wife for DWI. You have to imagine that other troopers think he should have just gotten someone else to drive her home. 
My cousin is a retired DPS trooper. I'm pretty sure he'd arrest his own mom for driving while intoxicated.
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Paco said:
54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
I would like to hear the status of the DPS trooper that arrested another trooper’s wife for DWI. You have to imagine that other troopers think he should have just gotten someone else to drive her home. 

My cousin is a retired DPS trooper. I'm pretty sure he'd arrest his own mom for driving while intoxicated.

I think that’s a David Allen Coe song.

• Like 2