San Antonio Spurs 2019-2020 season thread: Just here for the HEB commercials

Kermit

15 hours ago, Hate said:

The Spurs always have to have to a tall white guy that can’t dunk...see Splitter, Oberto, and all the way back to Paultz.

That phenomena is not limited to the Spurs. The big white stiff at the end of the bench is as much a part of NBA history as Michael Jordan. They really should do a 30 for 30 on it. 

And Splitter, Oberto and Paultz could all play. There have been some atrocious gigantic white dudes like Chuck Nevitt, Mike Smrek, Petur Gudmundsson and Mengke Bateer (ok, not white) that have sat at the end of the Spurs bench.

If we win out, we need the Grizzlies to lose 2 to make the play in and the Suns to lose 1. That is pretty likely as Memphis has OKC, TOR, BOS and MIL remaining and Phoenix has MIA, OKC, PHI and DAL.

Us winning all of our last 3 is less likely, however. And if we lose any of those then we need teams to lose more (obviously).

I'm writing off catching POR at this point. 

That phenomena is not limited to the Spurs. The big white stiff at the end of the bench is as much a part of NBA history as Michael Jordan. They really should do a 30 for 30 on it. 

And Splitter, Oberto and Paultz could all play. There have been some atrocious gigantic white dudes like Chuck Nevitt, Mike Smrek, Petur Gudmundsson and Mengke Bateer (ok, not white) that have sat at the end of the Spurs bench.

Oh, I know they could play. But they were all 6’9” or taller and could barely dunk. How may times did we see Splitter get blocked? Oberto used to pass the ball out to the 3pt line unless he was literally by himself at the rim. And the Whopper? I’d be surprised if he could touch the rim after his first couple of years in the league. But to your point, yes, they were all good players.

42 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Resting them for the game against Denver tomorrow - and all the good coaches treat Pop with respect. He's earned it. 

Especially the coaches who are Larry Brown's son in law and had their career hit rock bottom before Pop pulled him off the trash heap and gave him the Austin affiliate D-league head coaching job. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of guys who owe their careers to Gregg Popovich, but Quin Snyder would probably selling insurance right now if it weren't for him.

42 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Nice to beat Utah's taxi squad...... Starting all these young guys and exactly what we should have been doing since the start of the season.  Lonnie, White, and Murray all over 30 minutes.  Keldon with 24.  Now where's the other first rounder?  The one we passed on Brandon Clarke for.

Pouting on the bench. Ol’ T-Rex arms. 

11 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Especially the coaches who are Larry Brown's son in law and had their career hit rock bottom before Pop pulled him off the trash heap and gave him the Austin affiliate D-league head coaching job. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of guys who owe their careers to Gregg Popovich, but Quin Snyder would probably selling insurance right now if it weren't for him.

And Snyder is a good coach who should not be on a trash heap. Pop was right.

SAS has a lot of good karma in NBA-world. That works to the Spurs advantage more often than not. 

22 hours ago, Hate said:

Oh, I know they could play. But they were all 6’9” or taller and could barely dunk. How may times did we see Splitter get blocked? Oberto used to pass the ball out to the 3pt line unless he was literally by himself at the rim. And the Whopper? I’d be surprised if he could touch the rim after his first couple of years in the league. But to your point, yes, they were all good players.

Poeltl has always basically been a Splitter clone to me. The refusal to dunk which leads to him getting swatted just like Tiago used to do is just the cherry on top. 

Good players, probably both underappreciated, but annoying and hard to watch at times because of their lack of aggression. But both of them are much, much better than Oberto or Nesterovic or any of the trash we rolled out at center between D-Rob and Splitter ever were.

I still love you though, Kevin Willis. 

Edited by BradInATX

59 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Still alive - hopefully White can bounce back.  I assume no chances will be taken with his availability to play, so I guess that’s it for him in the bubble.

Anyone want to correct my thought experiment:

Trade Aldridge

Extend DeRozan

Kill Forbes 

Sign and trade DeRozan.

Trade Forbes.

See what LMA wants to do but maybe trade him too.

Problem is our young guys are all guards running around.  Need some length and athleticism up front but we've been saying that since David's back got fucked up.

9 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Zion looked really passive

He scored a lot,  but agree. He looks tired, passive , and just not really present. I cringe every time he jumps, just seems like he's flirting with injury at every turn. I hope he slims down, because he won't last long like this. 

13 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Sign and trade DeRozan.

Trade Forbes.

See what LMA wants to do but maybe trade him too.

Problem is our young guys are all guards running around.  Need some length and athleticism up front but we've been saying that since David's back got fucked up.

Trade Forbes? To who and for what? He's borderline worthless, he brings some 3-pt shooting that goes in spurts, when it falls consistently he can break even on the +/- end, when his shooting is spotty he's heavily on the - end because his defense ranks close to the worst in the entire NBA. LMA deserves a feel good ending, if Portland wasn't in cap hell the reunion he seeks there would be a fitting ending to his career. Things didn't work out the way he envisioned in SA with the nephew going full bitch ass. Who would want DeRozan? Possibly the Knicks or Magic? The Knicks have jack shit to offer in a trade. Can't envision any other suitors.