Buzzrock

Rage Against the Machine is reuniting, headlining Coachella

17 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The message is timeless. It will always be popular. It just doesn’t always rock so hard.

Yeah, Morello has knack for coining badass hard rock/heavy riffs.  None of them would be in the top 10 all time (with things like smoke on the water, iron man, black dog, etc... out there), but I'm not sure anyone has come up with as many really badass, driving riffs as TM.

EDIT:  I remember an interview with Morello where the interviewer likened him to Hendrix, and Morello got pissed off.  He was like, I'm much more Jimmy Page than Hendrix, so why would you make that comparison except because of our shared race?  And he's right, I hear a lot of Page in his rhythm/riffs.  I really don't care about his DJ-inspired lead stuff that some people criticize for a lack of skill/reliance on pedals.   He's a great heavy rock guitarist based on his rhythm/riffs alone.

Edited by Goredho

People who make those criticisms are missing the point IMO. He was never a melodic lead virtuoso or a shredder. He just came up with awesome block rockin sounds often in innovative ways.

I think the first 30 seconds of People of the Sun is all you (anyone, not *you*) need to know. Unusual pick slide riff, punchy drum groove, funky bass drops in and then ZdlR starts laying it down. If you don’t like that then perhaps you’d feel more comfortable at one of our other tables, sir.

But then go listen to Revolver. :40 to 1:10 could totally be a Black Sabbath song.

Btw tour dates have either leaked or were faked depending on who you listen to.

Yeah, he has a ton of riffs like your Revolver example that are just heavy, nasty and evocative of this response in me the first time I hear it:

giphy.gif

Edited by Goredho