Formula One 2020

wood

3 cars on the lead lap. Incredibly boring. Should have kept the same tires from last week. 

They did, essentially.

Most cars didn’t touch the C1 here (Albon the biggest exception), and only Hulk used the C4 last week, so it was really C2/C3 as race tires both weeks. Even the C3 wasn’t a great race tire this week.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/13/2020 at 12:26 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

FIA is now wanting to ban qualifying engine modes.

It seems to want to slow down Mercedes, but to be honest I don’t think it will affect them all that much, and they will be faster in the race in the end since they will just beef up their race modes instead.

This will have so many unintended consequences. No more crazy undercutting. No more Lando last lap heroics at Austria, no more overtaking unless you have a huge tire offset. What a farce.

On 8/13/2020 at 1:04 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Theoretically I am not certain if I am against banning different modes for qualifying & the race.

I kind of like the idea of the engine being the engine for both. As for your statement that they could just up their race modes, I reckon that is possible. I guess having that flexibility with the engine comes from the amount of $$ they can spend.

It was my understanding that they were looking to limit everyone to just one mode from the start of Q through the end of the race ... so you can use whatever mode you choose, but it's going to have to work for both Q and the whole race.

Edited by wood

4 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

very hot there today

I keep hearing that ... but 86 degrees sounds like a fucking perfect day to me. I mean .... track temp there yesterday was only about 10 degrees hotter than our air temp.

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Boring as fuck

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I can't wait for the new regulations

Yep. And next year will be just as bad or worse. Hell, Ferrari and Renault are already putting pretty much everything into 2022.

Edited by wood

11 minutes ago, wood said:

It was my understanding that they were looking to limit everyone to just one mode from the start of Q through the end of the race ... so you can use whatever mode you choose, but it's going to have to work for both Q and the whole race.

It was just brutally boring today. Mercedes is just too strong. I'm sure I'd feel differently if they had a German, Austrian or Swiss driver. In my mind, too much electronics has taken over for the driver. I get the technology and top of the world tech and all but the garage needs to be more level.

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It was just brutally boring today. Mercedes is just too strong. I'm sure I'd feel differently if they had a German, Austrian or Swiss driver. In my mind, too much electronics has taken over for the driver. I get the technology and top of the world tech and all but the garage needs to be more level.

Yep, and like Martin was saying yesterday, make the driver make the decisions in the race...

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

That was an awesome drive by Lewis. 20 seconds in front. Just gone. I’m enjoying the fight for second. Max vs Bottas.

It was good, but there are a few drivers who could do the same in that car. Nothing else on the grid even comes close to it. I mean the midfield is just so far behind. Max & Bottas lapped through 4 or 5th today. It's crazy.

Limiting the engine modes should help a little. It's not like the Merc Q mode is some kind of magic mode that only they can produce or that allows them to suddenly go faster than everyone. Anyone can create all the engine modes they want. The way I read it, Merc's ability to use that mode in Q  just shows the relative superiority of their PU overall. I.E. their race modes are conservative by comparison and they can let it hang out a little in Q. Everyone else is just pushing all the time, whether it be in Q or the race, thus no special mode for them in Q. Because why? It's not like they can use a more conservative one during the race.

Saward, fwiw, Looking to 2021... says Miami is still the first option to accompany COTA on the calendar, if COTA survives. Apparently the Miami group is also smoothing things over with the very small, very vocal opposition that popped up (very likely backed by people with COTA ties, imho).

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a33600184/formula-1-is-still-hoping-for-15-races-this-year/

Meanwhile there are still hopes there can be a second race in the United States, with Miami remaining the favorite to join Austin, if Austin survives.

F1 and the Miami Dolphins have worked hard modifying plans to the track layout at the Hard Rock Stadium to calm down opposition to the race. The revised track runs inside the stadium precinct and not on any public roads.

It might also help if F1’s two-day format, tried in Imola this year, could be used to clear away problems related to school days. Running the event on just Saturday and Sunday would take the wind out of the opposition’s sails. Once the locals realize it is something benefiting the area, it could expand into a three-day event the following years.

2 minutes ago, wood said:

No MotoGP thread ... but Got damn, Zarco - Morbidelli at Austria. Jebus.

Yup. If I were Rossi, I’m not sure i would be able to get back on the bike after that red flag. Inches away from death.

Also, if you can believe it, there was an even worse crash in Moto 2. Really surprised Hafid Syrein didn’t break tons of bones.

2 hours ago, wood said:

It was good, but there are a few drivers who could do the same in that car. Nothing else on the grid even comes close to it. I mean the midfield is just so far behind. Max & Bottas lapped through 4 or 5th today. It's crazy.

Limiting the engine modes should help a little. It's not like the Merc Q mode is some kind of magic mode that only they can produce or that allows them to suddenly go faster than everyone. Anyone can create all the engine modes they want. The way I read it, Merc's ability to use that mode in Q  just shows the relative superiority of their PU overall. I.E. their race modes are conservative by comparison and they can let it hang out a little in Q. Everyone else is just pushing all the time, whether it be in Q or the race, thus no special mode for them in Q. Because why? It's not like they can use a more conservative one during the race.

My question would be, do the engine customers get access to all engine modes from Merc, or just a default setting?  

Assuming they have to develop their own, they would always be at a disadvantage to the team that supplied/built them their engine. 

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

My question would be, do the engine customers get access to all engine modes from Merc, or just a default setting?  

Assuming they have to develop their own, they would always be at a disadvantage to the team that supplied/built them their engine. 

Oh, absolutely. IIRC the FIA made it mandatory a couple years back for the suppliers to make all the modes available to the customers, but I'm still skeptical that they're really getting all the modes the manufacturers have, when they become available to them. My post was more about the teams with other engines, not Merc-powered teams.

Hated to see the most excitement today was the start through turn 1 or 2, then pretty meh afterwards.

I caught a few practice minutes this week and qualifying, was Albon really the only team to put on the hard tyres all week? Or did I mis-hear that?

Look forward to Spa now in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

Hated to see the most excitement today was the start through turn 1 or 2, then pretty meh afterwards.

I caught a few practice minutes this week and qualifying, was Albon really the only team to put on the hard tyres all week? Or did I mis-hear that?

Look forward to Spa now in two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a graphic and yes, he was.

Final, 17-race 2020 F1 calendar taking shape including Istanbul and two Bahrain races https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/18/final-17-race-2020-f1-calendar-taking-shape-including-istanbul-and-two-bahrain-races/

1    Austria    Red Bull Ring    05/07/2020
2    Austria    Red Bull Ring    12/07/2020
3    Hungary    Hungaroring    19/07/2020
4    Great Britain    Silverstone    02/08/2020
5    Great Britain    Silverstone    09/08/2020
6    Spain    Circuit de Catalunya    16/08/2020
7    Belgium    Spa-Francorchamps    30/08/2020
8    Italy    Monza    06/09/2020
9    Italy    Mugello    13/09/2020
10    Russia    Sochi Autodrom    27/09/2020
11    Germany    Nurburgring    11/10/2020
12    Portugal    Algarve    25/10/2020
13    Italy    Imola    01/11/2020
14    Turkey    Istanbul Park    15/11/2020
15    Bahrain    Bahrain International Circuit – Grand Prix    29/11/2020
16    Bahrain    Bahrain International Circuit – Outer    6/12/2020
17    Abu Dhabi    Yas Marina    13/12/2020

OBTW, anyone following what the American kid Logan Sargeant has been doing in F3 with Prema? Tearing it up. Won Silverstone. Three straight poles. Leading the championship. From what I hear he's no joke. Proper quick ... like 'could be a future big star in F1' quick. He was the first American to win the World Karting Championship since Lake Speed in 1978. It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

So... I'm getting bored with F1. I'm a casual fan. My son is a fan and a kart racer, so I have interest...

But every race is the same....

44 way ahead of everyone.
VB77 running fastest lap in 2nd.
Max telling his team the car is too slow, but chasing VB77 pretty well.
Ferrari failure.
Renault should close shop...
Racing Point vs McLaren seems like the only thing to watch...

Am I missing something? Let Ferrari cheat again.

• Like 1

Max beat VB77 last race. The midfield is fun to watch. I am a Lewis and Merc fan, so I love seeing them dominate week in and week out most of the season. Ferrari tripping over themselves is good fun. Also, I love qualifying. Hundredths separate heart break and glory.

9 hours ago, Snacks said:

So... I'm getting bored with F1. I'm a casual fan. My son is a fan and a kart racer, so I have interest...

But every race is the same....

44 way ahead of everyone.
VB77 running fastest lap in 2nd.
Max telling his team the car is too slow, but chasing VB77 pretty well.

Ferrari failure.
Renault should close shop...
Racing Point vs McLaren seems like the only thing to watch...

Am I missing something? Let Ferrari cheat again.

VB is controlling the pace behind him, imho. Then he all of a sudden pops fast laps.

And yeah, the big gaps between the three tiers of cars out there & so much predictability are really getting old. Probably even gonna be worse next year, as teams move on to focusing on 2022. Renault and Ferrari pretty much already have. Hopefully the new rules change things a little.

Edited by wood

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.analysis-what-the-new-concorde-agreement-means-for-formula-1.1Z97Z6vRwfDTHVhGbSS510.html?utm_keyword=2021Rules&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Ogilvy&utm_campaign=20200821_Non-RaceWeekend&utm_content=D&utm_term=20200821_Non-RaceWeekend

After months and months and months of discussions and deliberations, Formula 1’s 10 teams have now agreed to the terms of a new document, known as the Concorde Agreement, that binds them to the world championship for another five years. Here's what that means for the sport...

11 hours ago, wood said:

Is it the same North Carolina based investment firm that bought out Trudy's?  That would be fun.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.brawn-and-smedley-on-the-fastest-driver-rankings-that-have-got-everyone.30c1aGdJ6OHtGC3FYREhJt.html?utm_keyword=F1_AWS&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Ogilvy&utm_campaign=20200821_Non-RaceWeekend&utm_content=D&utm_term=20200821_Non-RaceWeekend

Earlier this week, we announced the results of a collaboration between Formula 1 and Amazon Web Services to discover the fastest driver over one lap since 1983 – with some surprising names popping up in the top 20. We spoke to two of the architects of the project, Formula 1’s Managing Director of Motorsport Ross Brawn and Director of Data Systems Rob Smedley, to get their views on some controversial outcomes, find out why the data doesn’t go beyond 1983 (yet) and talk about how teams are using similar technologies to pick their drivers.

It’s fair to say that the results of ‘Fastest Driver’, the latest F1 Insight powered by AWS, raised plenty of eyebrows, with fan favourites and drivers seen as ‘quali heroes’ – the likes of Juan Pablo Montoya, Keke Rosberg and Mika Hakkinen – failing to make it into the top 20, while Heikki Kovalainen (#8) and Jarno Trull (#9) made the cut despite having five pole positions between them.