Formula One 2020

wood

While I respect Hamilton's ability, I can't bring myself to like him. His immediate reaction to RedBull/Verstappen not having tire issues was to accuse them of cheating.

Lolwut. He stated that their tire pressures must have stayed lower than theirs (Mercedes), not below the minimum, which is the same for everyone, and monitored by sensors.

He also mentions this in the post-race PC when asked about it.

Also, he was correct. Mercedes front tire pressure absolutely ballooned yesterday.

Lolwut. He stated that their tire pressures must have stayed lower than theirs (Mercedes), not below the minimum, which is the same for everyone, and monitored by sensors.

He also mentions this in the post-race PC when asked about it.

Also, he was correct. Mercedes front tire pressure absolutely ballooned yesterday.
Maybe I misinterpreted what he said (had the volume low), but it sounded like the announcers took it as him accusing RedBull of some nefarious tactics

3 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:

While I respect Hamilton's ability, I can't bring myself to like him. His immediate reaction to RedBull/Verstappen not having tire issues was to accuse them of cheating.

I took that to be more of a shot at his team that went even higher pressure than the minimum. I mean tire pressure is live on the monitoring system. Not like they could exactly pull a tom Brady and no one would know. 

Edit... I'm retarded... didn't see others had posted the same thing

Edited by pops
  • Like 1

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a33577443/former-ferrari-president-takes-some-of-the-blame-for-f1-teams-fall/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_aut&utm_medium=email&date=081120&utm_campaign=nl21176702&utm_term=AUT_Autoweek_Racing_Daily_Newsletter_Subscribers

Former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo is taking one for his former team, saying that he deserves some of the blame for the Maranello team's disappointing 2020 Formula 1 season.

He was ousted from his post in 2014, which was the year was when Formula 1's controversial hybrid engine regulations were introduced.

FIA is now wanting to ban qualifying engine modes.

It seems to want to slow down Mercedes, but to be honest I don’t think it will affect them all that much, and they will be faster in the race in the end since they will just beef up their race modes instead.

This will have so many unintended consequences. No more crazy undercutting. No more Lando last lap heroics at Austria, no more overtaking unless you have a huge tire offset. What a farce.

Theoretically I am not certain if I am against banning different modes for qualifying & the race.

I kind of like the idea of the engine being the engine for both. As for your statement that they could just up their race modes, I reckon that is possible. I guess having that flexibility with the engine comes from the amount of $$ they can spend.

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Intrigued by the announcers idea to make teams run all three tire compounds during a race to force 2 stops. 

Don't like that idea. These days the possibility of different pit strategies is one of the only things that creates exciting races (the other being weather like the heat last week and the rain in Germany last year). If everyone knows they're pitting the same number of times it gets even more boring. 

Forgot to mention at first that performances like Leclerc's last week don't happen if you force the same number of tire changes onto each team.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Don't like that idea. These days the possibility of different pit strategies is one of the only things that creates exciting races (the other being weather like the heat last week and the rain in Germany last year). If everyone knows they're pitting the same number of times it gets even more boring. 

Agreed.

And it reeks of the same needless meddling with organic race flow and "solution in search of a problem" as what happened with the "alternative pitting" rules for the NASCAR Xfinity race at RoadAmerica last weekend. Granted, they implemented this bizarre, frustrating, and shitful set of rules in order to give teams a break on staffing, travel, and logistics (Cup and Trucks were at Michigan with just Xfinity at RoadAmerica) and I get it, but it really bungled up the race in many ways.

Nobody understood the rules very well, and in typical NASCAR fashion, they don't seem to be easily and/or publicly available, but here are two tweets that more or less capture the ideas as well as anyone did. 

Screenshot_20200814-120043_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20200814-120012_Twitter.jpg

On 8/13/2020 at 1:04 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Theoretically I am not certain if I am against banning different modes for qualifying & the race.

I kind of like the idea of the engine being the engine for both. As for your statement that they could just up their race modes, I reckon that is possible. I guess having that flexibility with the engine comes from the amount of $$ they can spend.

they used to have qualifying engines.  that was some flexibility

Nice first session for a lot of guys, notably Vettel and LeClerc. But they have a lot of others around them who have put in good times in Q1.

Perez in p2 in Q1. Max in p3. Stroll in p6. Gasly with a nice run into p7, Albon p8 and Sainz in p9, just in front of Vettel. LeClerc in p5.

Both Williams & Haas are out for the day.