Sign in to follow this  
bernorange

covid19 potentially opening door to proportionally equitable representation?

I was skimming the DT Coronavirus thread and saw a reference to this story:

The entire state legislature of Georgia is being urged to self-quarantine after a state senator who participated in a vote on Monday has tested positive for the coronavirus.  ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/entire-georgia-state-legislature-urged-to-self-quarantine-after-positive-coronavirus-test/ar-BB11pwm6

I got to thinking about the drive for many businesses and industries right now to implement systems for remote working as people are trying to stay home because of covid19.  I haven't really heard anything about governments (state or federal) trying to implement the same, but I wonder if examples like Georgia might get some inertia moving. 

If covid19 ends up forcing governments to build out and normalize the use of remote working technology - like holding legislative sessions via some structured webex type system, perhaps some real good might come from it.  Because that foundation would make it feasible to re-establish proportionally equitable representation.

The framers of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights intended that the total population of Congressional districts never exceed 50 to 60 thousand. Currently, the average population size of the districts is nearly 700,000 and, consequently, the principle of proportionally equitable representation has been abandoned.

https://thirty-thousand.org/

Suddenly, having more legislators wouldn't be a problem.  They don't need to occupy the same physical space.  Running for office would be cheaper and legislators would be more accountable to their constituents.

So you want to dramatically increase the number of Congress critters we have running around DC?

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

So you want to dramatically increase the number of Congress critters(1) we have running around DC(2)?

(1) Yes

(2) No

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

So you want to dramatically increase the number of Congress critters we have running around DC?

They wouldn’t be in DC. 

They would be in their districts. 

What was so difficult to understand?

Entrenched interests are frightened of a more democratic society. 

The House (House of Commons) was always intended to be a counterbalance to the Senate (House of Lords). That balance is out of whack. 

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

They wouldn’t be in DC. 

They would be in their districts. 

What was so difficult to understand?

My fault.  Browsing lots of stuff and didn’t reread for clarity before responding.

Posted (edited)

I hope so but I doubt it. @bernorange you know I have been in favor of this change for a very long time. Fewer constituents per legislator means a legislator who is more responsive to their constituents. And a very nice byproduct is that it makes it a whole lot more expensive for well-moneyed interests to buy off enough legislators to guarantee passage or rejection of a bill.

Concentration of wealth, increasing population, and stagnant number of representatives is a triple whammy that makes oligarchy more possible in a representative republic.

Edited by Huckleberry

Sign in to follow this  

mpu

Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion