Fox News Sunday - Chris Wallace Interviews Donald Trump 7/19

immamac

I've heard the World Wars called a lot of things.  Beautiful was never one of them.

“Bataan losers march? I like guys who don’t get captured. Speaking of Japan, I did the greatest deals of all time there. Big 80s developer there. You heard of Nakatomi Plaza? My deal. They said I should have been Japanese...or Korean....but one of them. They’d never seen anything like it. “
  • Like 2

Just a data point.  Trump is all excited about the DACA decision because he doesn't understand it.  Some dipshit who is a law dog but also doesn't understand it thinks it's good because it makes it harder to undo executive decisionmaking.

Neither of them is right.

Long story short, Trump and some others characterize DACA as an Obama order not to enforce deportation laws.  But it turned into a DHS order, with quite a number of provisions and rules.

Once an agency makes rules, it can't unmake them without going through a process.

Trump did not go through that process.  DHS didn't go through that process.  Because they didn't, it stands.

Trump thinks it means he can make rules and no one can overturn them.

Because he is a dumb motherfucker.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Just a data point.  Trump is all excited about the DACA decision because he doesn't understand it.  Some dipshit who is a law dog but also doesn't understand it thinks it's good because it makes it harder to undo executive decisionmaking.

Long story short, Trump and some others characterize DACA as an Obama order not to enforce deportation laws.  But it turned into a DHS order, with quite a number of provisions and rules.

Once an agency makes rules, it can't unmake them without going through a process.

Trump did not go through that process.  DHS didn't go through that process.  Because they didn't, it stands.

but who's going to stop him? that's what his point is. They are planning on knowingly breaking the law because it will take a year for the supreme court to say they did and then after that who's gonna stop them anyway?

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

but who's going to stop him? that's what his point is. They are planning on knowingly breaking the law because it will take a year for the supreme court to say they did and then after that who's gonna stop them anyway?

Once you realize this, the goose is pretty much cooked.  The silence from Democratic leaders is frightening.  Guess they're planning on putting all their marbles in the election basket--which isn't comforting and pretty weak.  Republicans really are the cutting edge of Democratic erosion.  Just when you feel like you have a handle on what they're designing, they up their evil.  

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

No way does DOTARD come up with all of this on his own.  He's a husk of a human being that's incapable of even coming up with things to undo much less ways to undo them.  He seeks fortune, notoriety, pussy and a wall--that's his game.  But he doesn't know how to do any of these things.  But he surrounds himself with people who do.  The true players are the multi-wealthy backers that benefit from all of this, donate to its continuance and offer advice/moral bankruptcy/a list of restrictions to remove. The rest are the Barrs, judges, GOP, and idiot voters that make it happen.  

Edited by Mdhorn

40 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Once you realize this, the goose is pretty much cooked.  The silence from Democratic leaders is frightening.  Guess they're planning on putting all their marbles in the election basket--which isn't comforting and pretty weak.  Republicans really are the cutting edge of Democratic erosion.  Just when you feel like you have a handle on what they're designing, they up their evil.  

NPR had a former White House ethics lawyer on during the lead up to impeachment. I think he was from the W administration but I don’t think it was Painter because he is vehemently anti-Trump and this guy was fairly even-keeled. Anyway the interviewer asked if he thought congress should impeach and he basically said no since there would be no chance of conviction. He said what they should do is use the power of the purse to compel everyone they wanted to give testimony.  No testimony, no money for anything. Air out all the dirty laundry and once the public knows the truth then you impeach. He said withholding funds is how you bring the executive branch to heel, but congress doesn’t have the will to use it because they are too scared of blowback from their constituents and losing their seats

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

1 hour ago, immamac said:

This.  And they are only 1 or 2 supreme court justices away from the rubber stamp there as well.

Right now, the only real check has been long term bureaucrats. That worked in Trump's first 2 to 3 years, but has started to really falter in the last year or so as attrition has set in.  Any executive order that Trump issued right now would likely be followed and would not be challenged in a reasonable time frame.  This includes a potential Trump executive order authorizing immediate deportation for any past DACA recipients.  Perhaps they would later have legal right to reenter the USA, but in the short term (which could still be years), they'd be deported to a country they don't even know.

Personally, while I support DACA, I think the bigger issue is with Trump's attempts to retroactively change laws and regulations.  The intent of DACA was to bring people out of the shadows.  Those who took the DACA "deal" should not be punished for doing so.  While I would still disagree with it, I could respect new laws and regulations which disallow new DACA registrations while still honoring the deal made with past DACA recipients.  I can't respect the bullshit Trump does.  A deal is a deal.  He is dishonorable in his dealings, and because of that, he has made America dishonorable.  DACA is only one of 100s of ways he has made our nation completely untrustworthy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

NPR had a former White House ethics lawyer on during the lead up to impeachment. I think he was from the W administration but I don’t think it was Painter because he is vehemently anti-Trump and this guy was fairly even-keeled. Anyway the interviewer asked if he thought congress should impeach and he basically said no since there would be no chance of conviction. He said what they should do is use the power of the purse to compel everyone they wanted to give testimony.  No testimony, no money for anything. Air out all the dirty laundry and once the public knows the truth then you impeach. He said withholding funds is how you bring the executive branch to heel, but congress doesn’t have the will to use it because they are too scared of blowback from their constituents and losing their seats

This day and age is a little different though.  They seem to campaign on gridlock and a lot gets done on the overreach of Executive Order. But I agree with the rest--when it's balanced and things are running the way they're meant to.   That's not now though.

Edited by Mdhorn

10 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

This day and age is a little different though.  They seem to campaign on gridlock and a lot gets done on the overreach of Executive Order. But I agree with the rest--when it's balanced and things are running the way they're meant to.   That's not now though.

The Senate Rs campaign on gridlock.  But the House is D-controlled and wields the power of the purse.  Sawbonz is right, the House lacks the political will to use appropriations to stifle Trump.

11 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

The point is that the DACA Supreme Court decision does nothing real to empower Trump.  He may perceive it that way, but he would be wrong.

Besides, he didn't need any "empowerment" to do his dastardly shit.  And no one in his administration seems to be capable of doing anything in a legal way, either in the early days or especially now.  They are legislatively incompetent.

The Senate Rs campaign on gridlock.  But the House is D-controlled and wields the power of the purse.  Sawbonz is right, the House lacks the political will to use appropriations to stifle Trump.
Which is odd because they were elected on anti Trump backlash.

34 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

You mean shut down government? Has that worked out for anybody?

Trump's daily acts of political suicide are finally impacting his popularity. He's politically imploding and he doesn't have time to do much with less than a hundred days before the election. Any orders he gives can be undone as easily as he undid Obama era orders.

I'd like to see the Senate and House Dems get off their dead asses, congregate outside the Capitol, and march to Lafayette Park to voice public objection to Trump's actions against demonstrators. Resolutions, individual press conferences, and other legislative dithering is easily ignored. A march with a well thought out message would be historic.

• Like 2