USMNT 2021

Napoleon

8 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

So there is no automatic starter at striker? (Should be Sargent)

Hoppe is not listed as a striker. (Should be Tier 2)

Disagree on Reyna. (Should be Tier 1)

Disagree on Weah. He's showing up in limited minutes. (Should be Tier 1)

Green is not listed as a midfielder. (Should be Tier 2)

JMO, on Pomykal - has not been in full fitness for a while. (Should be Tier 3)

JMO, Cardoso - gaining more minutes for Internacional that is competing for league championship. (Should be Tier 2)

Ream is not listed a center back. (Should be Tier 2)

Yedlin is not listed as a fullback. (Should be Tier 2)

Hamid is not listed as a goalkeeper. Yes he's recovering from a sports hernia repair, but really need an older experienced GK in the fray. (Should be Tier 2)

Disagree on Johnson. Another option as an older experienced GK. (Should be Tier 2)

I'm sure I missed multiple names and can make additional arguments for Tier placements.

Good points. And that’s what I like about this graphic showing tiers as there topics  open for discussion. 

our younger players are having some struggles. From dest admitting he’s lost confidence to Reyna and Musah not playing as well as they have been.  For national team both are better centrally. Who plays there next to mckennie?  Musah plays wing for Valencia and has been underwhelming. Reyna isn’t great at wing. Does Morris play wing over either of them?  It’s likely that Musah choose US if he continues to underwhelm. 

what the hell happened to dest?  He was starting and then there is a headline in late Jan. saying he’s lost confidence since the summer. 
These guys are young and good but that’s no guarantee. 

Andrew Carlton was rated as most talented us player at u17 World Cup a couple of years ago. Higher rated than Weah or Sargent. He ended up getting dismissed by Atlanta and then a USL team and now finds himself practically out of serious professional opportunities.  

• Like 1

FYI.  May be an uneducated, snap judgement but I turned it on in the 65th minute or so just in time to see Dest get absolutely used by Mbappe.  He was replaced a couple of mins later.  It could have just been a coincidence; however, I'm not so sure.  Barca was down either 2-1 or 3-1 when he was replaced by another true LB.  Not sure that would be the go-to if needing goals.

10 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

FYI.  May be an uneducated, snap judgement but I turned it on in the 65th minute or so just in time to see Dest get absolutely used by Mbappe.  He was replaced a couple of mins later.  It could have just been a coincidence; however, I'm not so sure.  Barca was down either 2-1 or 3-1 when he was replaced by another true LB.  Not sure that would be the go-to if needing goals.

That might be snap judgement. Mbappe went off yesterday, to the point everyone is ready to anoint him as the best player in the world.

Plus that was the goal for 2-1, if you watch it the ball takes a bad bounce off Bernabeu's deflection. His back heel sent it straight at Dest, but with spin. When it hit the ground it bounced to Dest's left and right onto Mbappe's lap for an easy goal.

If anything he looked lazy on the 3rd goal (the one Mbappe didn't score), which might have been why he was subbed off. I'm not sure WTF he's doing there.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I think this is the play I saw.  Shot crossed the front of the goal from the left side.

3rd goal was off of a free kick. 

Two PSG players moving toward the goal and the shorter one angles from back post to near post to draw a CD off of the taller guy who went toward the back post and he headed it in. Don’t know where Dest was on the play, I was falling asleep as I was skimming through the highlights. 

The 2 goals are at 8:20 (2-1) and 9:33 (3-1). This is also a shot attempt at 9:20 that he is burned a little on.

To be fair, the entire back-line of Barca appears to be on their heels in this game, certainly in the 2nd half when PSG dominated.

Watch 3-1, I'm not really sure Dest is doing anything wrong. He doesn't have the height to match the size of PSG on that play. He might be there to play the short ball, but it never happens. The goal scorer isn't his man ever on the play.

Edited by Captain Ron

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Lille vs Ajax is going to be a really good match up.

It'll be cool to see how Marsch does against a top 6 La Liga side with RB.  

I expect Hoffenheim to destroy Molde hopefully Richards will get a lot of minutes in both games.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:46 AM, Captain Ron said:

The 2 goals are at 8:20 (2-1) and 9:33 (3-1). This is also a shot attempt at 9:20 that he is burned a little on.

To be fair, the entire back-line of Barca appears to be on their heels in this game, certainly in the 2nd half when PSG dominated.

Watch 3-1, I'm not really sure Dest is doing anything wrong. He doesn't have the height to match the size of PSG on that play. He might be there to play the short ball, but it never happens. The goal scorer isn't his man ever on the play.

Yeah. Barca's D has been porous for awhile now. I guess you could make the argument that if Dest really really shone then he could potentially cover up some of their issues, but were he capable of that and delivering on it he'd be bar none one of the best backs in the world. He isn't that yet. That doesn't mean he isn't really, really good. Him starting that game is a much bigger deal than him getting subbed off, imo. PSG is fucking nasty on attack. A couple of those goals are just shit that you can't really do anything about. 

On 2/15/2021 at 1:08 AM, UDontKnow said:

So there is no automatic starter at striker? (Should be Sargent)

Hoppe is not listed as a striker. (Should be Tier 2)

Disagree on Reyna. (Should be Tier 1)

Disagree on Weah. He's showing up in limited minutes. (Should be Tier 1)

Green is not listed as a midfielder. (Should be Tier 2)

JMO, on Pomykal - has not been in full fitness for a while. (Should be Tier 3)

JMO, Cardoso - gaining more minutes for Internacional that is competing for league championship. (Should be Tier 2)

Ream is not listed a center back. (Should be Tier 2)

Yedlin is not listed as a fullback. (Should be Tier 2)

Hamid is not listed as a goalkeeper. Yes he's recovering from a sports hernia repair, but really need an older experienced GK in the fray. (Should be Tier 2)

Disagree on Johnson. Another option as an older experienced GK. (Should be Tier 2)

I'm sure I missed multiple names and can make additional arguments for Tier placements.

This^^^!  Matthew Hoppe is being monitored by all of the big money clubs after scoring 5 goals in his first 8 starts for Schalke.  He is only 19.  Every player over 27 years old should effectively be dropped from the squad because we need to be focused on our youth movement for the 2026 World Cup in the US. This means our strikers should be in order: Sargent, either or Hoppe/Feirreira. Stop wasting time with Altidore and Zardes. Their time has past. Also, Reyna and Weah are CLEARLY Tier 1 (Automatic Starters in Critical games). We need to find formations that get Sargent or one of Hoppe/Feirreira on the field with Pullisic, Weah, and Reyna. That means Reyna or Pullisic moves to the free 8 position, like Kevin De Bruyne.

UMNT Tiers.png

18 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Do Reyna or Pulisic play enough defense to play as an 8 for us against decent teams.  I suspect our core midfield going forward will be Adams, McKennie and either Musah or Aaronson.   

I'm not sure what you mean. 8 is (traditionally) a midfield position that McKennie would fill. Maybe Adams depending on formation. Pulisic and Reyna will be at the 10 and 7 spots - likely respectively - but both of them can play each. We should be deep enough to where neither are ever in the middle of the pitch. I think whether either of them could line up at 9 is a more interesting hypothetical.

40 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

This^^^!  Matthew Hoppe is being monitored by all of the big money clubs after scoring 5 goals in his first 8 starts for Schalke.  He is only 19.  Every player over 27 years old should effectively be dropped from the squad because we need to be focused on our youth movement for the 2026 World Cup in the US. This means our strikers should be in order: Sargent, either or Hoppe/Feirreira. Stop wasting time with Altidore and Zardes. Their time has past. Also, Reyna and Weah are CLEARLY Tier 1 (Automatic Starters in Critical games). We need to find formations that get Sargent or one of Hoppe/Feirreira on the field with Pullisic, Weah, and Reyna. That means Reyna or Pullisic moves to the free 8 position, like Kevin De Bruyne.

UMNT Tiers.png

Lol where did you get that graphic? Who tf is putting Gio in tier 2 and not even lisitng Yedlin?

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure what you mean. 8 is (traditionally) a midfield position that McKennie would fill. Maybe Adams depending on formation. Pulisic and Reyna will be at the 10 and 7 spots - likely respectively - but both of them can play each. We should be deep enough to where neither are ever in the middle of the pitch. I think whether either of them could line up at 9 is a more interesting hypothetical.

A free 8 is a more attacking, free roaming 10 position that Guardiola used with De Bruyne and David Silva. Silva and De Bruyne basicall divide up halves of the field (left vs right instead of offense vs defense). You clearly need a strong #6 defensive midfielder (Tyler Adams) as you push forward your free 8s on attack. Your free 8s can overlap and the wingers can go outside while the free 8s pushes out to the flank as De Bruyne frequenty does.

The issue for our core is that I don't like a false 9, so I want to squeeze a Sargent or Hoppe/Ferriera in with 3 natural wingers (7/11) in Pulisic, Reyna, and Weah. Yes, you could have Reyna or Pulisic play the 10, but a free 8 role would allow both of them to be more involved in overlapping on the wing where they are more naturally suited and also makes them much more difficult to mark.  

Free eights

One of the most important features of the City team that accumulated a record 100 points in the 2017/18 Premier League season was Guardiola’s deployment of David Silva and Kevin de Bruyne together in central attacking midfield roles.

They worked in tandem as playmakers, operating in the two half-spaces to create chances for Leroy Sane, Raheem Sterling, and Sergio Aguero.

This role is often referred to as a free eight, which differs from an eight in that the players are not expected to arrive late in the penalty area or provide the engine in midfield.

Instead, they weave between the opposition lines, floating somewhere between the conventional eight and 10 positions. De Bruyne and Silva still play as free eights on occasion, although the Belgian drifts out to the right flank more regularly these days.

THE NUMBER 8s OR ARE THEY 10s

Manchester City has two of the best central midfielders in world football in David Silva and Kevin de Bruyne. Trying to characterise their positions and roles isn’t easy.

Lee writes,

Pep Guardiola instructed his two number ‘8’s, typically Silva and Kevin De Bruyne, to play much further forward in positions that are more typically occupied by number ‘10’s.This positional concept was achievable at City because Pep Guardiola has complete trust in those who play in deeper positions to be able to progress the ball forward without relying on the two central midfielders.Lee Scott –        Mastering the Premier League

Speaking with Lee on twitter to try and understand how these two players actually play in real life, he says that they defend as 8s but only as part of the overall structure of the team. In possession, they are very much 10s.

Moreover, his book tells us that the key to the positioning of the two number 8’s is that they occupy spaces in the field known as the half-spaces. We know that under the hood, the Mezzala role is one which is coded to work this way. However, if you analyse and watch the positions of other players they too will work in these spaces.

So how do we get players to defend as 8s and attack as 10s? I’m going to need these pair far up the pitch when we’re building out from the back, but getting stuck in when we’re under pressure.

8 minutes ago, UT Lax said:

A free 8 is a more attacking, free roaming 10 position that Guardiola used with De Bruyne and David Silva. Silva and De Bruyne basicall divide up halves of the field (left vs right instead of offense vs defense). You clearly need a strong #6 defensive midfielder (Tyler Adams) as you push forward your free 8s on attack. Your free 8s can overlap and the wingers can go outside while the free 8s pushes out to the flank as De Bruyne frequenty does.

The issue for our core is that I don't like a false 9, so I want to squeeze a Sargent or Hoppe/Ferriera in with 3 natural wingers (7/11) in Pulisic, Reyna, and Weah. Yes, you could have Reyna or Pulisic play the 10, but a free 8 role would allow both of them to be more involved in overlapping on the wing where they are more naturally suited and also makes them much more difficult to mark.  

Free eights

One of the most important features of the City team that accumulated a record 100 points in the 2017/18 Premier League season was Guardiola’s deployment of David Silva and Kevin de Bruyne together in central attacking midfield roles.

They worked in tandem as playmakers, operating in the two half-spaces to create chances for Leroy Sane, Raheem Sterling, and Sergio Aguero.

This role is often referred to as a free eight, which differs from an eight in that the players are not expected to arrive late in the penalty area or provide the engine in midfield.

Instead, they weave between the opposition lines, floating somewhere between the conventional eight and 10 positions. De Bruyne and Silva still play as free eights on occasion, although the Belgian drifts out to the right flank more regularly these days.

Manchester City has two of the best central midfielders in world football in David Silva and Kevin de Bruyne. Trying to characterise their positions and roles isn’t easy.

Lee writes,

Pep Guardiola instructed his two number ‘8’s, typically Silva and Kevin De Bruyne, to play much further forward in positions that are more typically occupied by number ‘10’s.This positional concept was achievable at City because Pep Guardiola has complete trust in those who play in deeper positions to be able to progress the ball forward without relying on the two central midfielders.Lee Scott –        Mastering the Premier League

Speaking with Lee on twitter to try and understand how these two players actually play in real life, he says that they defend as 8s but only as part of the overall structure of the team. In possession, they are very much 10s.

Moreover, his book tells us that the key to the positioning of the two number 8’s is that they occupy spaces in the field known as the half-spaces. We know that under the hood, the Mezzala role is one which is coded to work this way. However, if you analyse and watch the positions of other players they too will work in these spaces.

So how do we get players to defend as 8s and attack as 10s? I’m going to need these pair far up the pitch when we’re building out from the back, but getting stuck in when we’re under pressure.

So.... one of them could be an 8 if you are putting 2 8s on the pitch? Sure. I don't think that's what Ollie meant. All I'm saying is that Pulisic or Reyna should never be playing behind McKennie in the midfield. If you want to put one of them side by side with McKennie and call them both 8s then go for it. That doesn't make Puli or Reyna our "8". 

(This is obviously mostly semantics)

Edited by ztejas

I was responding to UT Lax's earlier post about one of them being an 8 alongside McKennie.  I just don't see it because of their defense.  Reyna may develop his game where he could fill that role, but for now he should probably be a 10 (maybe even a false 9).  Pulisic should play on the wing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I was responding to UT Lax's earlier post about one of them being an 8 alongside McKennie.  I just don't see it because of their defense.  Reyna may develop his game where he could fill that role, but for now he should probably be a 10 (maybe even a false 9).  Pulisic should play on the wing.  

If I was making a starting 11, I would set up a 4-3-3 with Reyna as my #10.  (Sorry about the shit quality on this).  I'm not including Musah because he still isn't cap tied to us.  Also I'm starting Dest at LB so we can put Cannon at RB.  Honestly RCB and ST are the two spots I feel like are still wide open.  

Hoppe

Pulisic               Weah

Reyna

Adams         Mckennie 

Dest Brooks Richards Cannon

Steffen

Pulisic may need to move on if Tuchel is staying and going to continue to win.

Pulisic out for Southampton trip; Tuchel noncommittal on USMNT star’s future

[video on linked page below]

Christian Pulisic will miss Chelsea’s trip to Southampton this weekend (Watch live, 7:30 am ET on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com) with what Thomas Tuchel called “some little issues in the calf,” though the Blues’ new manager insisted it wasn’t yet an injury, but more of a pre-injury injury.

The 2020-21 Premier League season has certainly been a trying one — largely due to injuries — for Pulisic, who has made just 15 appearance (nine starts) with just one goal and on assist in under 1,000 minutes through Chelsea’s first 24 games. And yet, Tuchel says he is “not worried” about the 22-year-old’s growing injury history.

Tuchel, who gave Pulisic his professional debut when they were both at Borussia Dortmund, reaffirmed his confidence in the USMNT star and his belief that Pulisic will inevitably return to form once he moves past his injury issues — quotes from Chelsea’s official website:

“We are not concerned or worried but the medical department is on that. Now we have some little issues in the calf and he stopped training yesterday before it became an injury so I would not say that it is an injury at the moment. It’s risk management that relates to his history of having injuries so we do not want to enter in the same cycle.

“It’s sometimes like this and the main thing for Christian is to stay positive, keep his head up and be ready because he can have a big impact when he starts and he can have a big impact when he comes from the bench with his intensity.”

As for Pulisic’s longer-term future at Chelsea, Tuchel was about as committal as one can be without saying yes — or, is it as noncommittal as one can be without saying no?

“Yes, today, clearly yes, but it is not only my point of view. We have to see. For me, clearly yes because Chelsea bought Christian for a reason, for his quality and his potential so it’s our job to bring out the best in him. He proved in many weeks that he has the level to be a Chelsea regular player, to have a big impact at this club and it’s a challenge now to maintain the level and to keep improving.”

Pulisic’s ongoing struggles — the injuries, plus Tuchel’s tactical ideas and preconceived ideas about him as a player — were a main topic on this week’s ProSoccerTalk video series (see above video), so take 7 minutes, 36 seconds out of your day and let the PST staff break down why you should (or shouldn’t) be worried.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pulisic-southampton-trip-tuchel-not-152515305.html

Edited by Napoleon

52 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Pulisic may need to move on if Tuchel is staying and going to continue to win.

Pulisic out for Southampton trip; Tuchel noncommittal on USMNT star’s future

[video on linked page below]

Christian Pulisic will miss Chelsea’s trip to Southampton this weekend (Watch live, 7:30 am ET on NBCSN and online via NBCSports.com) with what Thomas Tuchel called “some little issues in the calf,” though the Blues’ new manager insisted it wasn’t yet an injury, but more of a pre-injury injury.

The 2020-21 Premier League season has certainly been a trying one — largely due to injuries — for Pulisic, who has made just 15 appearance (nine starts) with just one goal and on assist in under 1,000 minutes through Chelsea’s first 24 games. And yet, Tuchel says he is “not worried” about the 22-year-old’s growing injury history.

Tuchel, who gave Pulisic his professional debut when they were both at Borussia Dortmund, reaffirmed his confidence in the USMNT star and his belief that Pulisic will inevitably return to form once he moves past his injury issues — quotes from Chelsea’s official website:

“We are not concerned or worried but the medical department is on that. Now we have some little issues in the calf and he stopped training yesterday before it became an injury so I would not say that it is an injury at the moment. It’s risk management that relates to his history of having injuries so we do not want to enter in the same cycle.

“It’s sometimes like this and the main thing for Christian is to stay positive, keep his head up and be ready because he can have a big impact when he starts and he can have a big impact when he comes from the bench with his intensity.”

As for Pulisic’s longer-term future at Chelsea, Tuchel was about as committal as one can be without saying yes — or, is it as noncommittal as one can be without saying no?

“Yes, today, clearly yes, but it is not only my point of view. We have to see. For me, clearly yes because Chelsea bought Christian for a reason, for his quality and his potential so it’s our job to bring out the best in him. He proved in many weeks that he has the level to be a Chelsea regular player, to have a big impact at this club and it’s a challenge now to maintain the level and to keep improving.”

Pulisic’s ongoing struggles — the injuries, plus Tuchel’s tactical ideas and preconceived ideas about him as a player — were a main topic on this week’s ProSoccerTalk video series (see above video), so take 7 minutes, 36 seconds out of your day and let the PST staff break down why you should (or shouldn’t) be worried.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pulisic-southampton-trip-tuchel-not-152515305.html

I never liked Chelsea anyway!

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, UT Lax said:

Free eights

Lee writes,

reposted plaintext for darkmode viz

+++

them could line up at 9 is a more interesting hypothetical.

Free eights

Lee writes,

10 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I don't follow any European soccer leagues as closely as you guys do. How was Pulisic treated by Tuchel at Dortmund?

Tuchel moved him down the pecking order behind Sancho. I think given Sancho’s form at the time it was warranted.

I didn’t watch Dortmund a ton, but I always felt Pulisic had trouble cracking any starting lineup or getting significant minutes. 

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

This is bad news, sucks for Morris.

More information here:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/02/22/jordan-morris-knee-injury-swansea-city-usmnt

1 hour ago, dogbreath said:

Aaronson against 2nd place team.  Two hockey assists for the energizer bunny and a nice uncalled foul. 

1) Sucks for Morris, but fortunately we have about 3x as much depth as we've had in the past.

I'm thinking that if he has surgery soon and does well with the rehab, he may get games before Christmas 2021.

Even if he doesn't get back until early 2022, the World Cup starting in November rather than June is huge for his hopes for making it to the World Cup.

2) Aaronson is ridiculous.

I know that these are his highlights, but it wasn't just that he was involved, it's that he was hustling on defense (again, they're his highlights), but also his control, his fakes, his passes... they are closer to an 18/19 year-old CR7 than any American player I can recall from the past. He is shifty, sudden, and looking to be dangerous whenever he gets the ball.

I don't think that he'll be at Salzburg long (meaning I could see him getting sold this summer) and I definitely see him playing a major role for the national team this year. He might be too good for the Olympic squad, but I am sure that US Soccer is hoping that he can be a part.

• Like 1

The Wizard of Turin strikes again!

PS- If Dest had gone to Bayern, then Dest, Chris Richards, and Pulisic could have been playing together on the same super team. Ay caramba!

But the city of Barcelona vs the city of Munich... it depends on what you want out of off-the-field food & fun.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

The Wizard of Turin strikes again!

PS- If Dest had gone to Bayern, then Dest, Chris Richards, and Pulisic could have been playing together on the same super team. Ay caramba!

But the city of Barcelona vs the city of Munich... it depends on what you want out of off-the-field food & fun.

Understandable that the Dutch born player doesn't want to support anything German. Then again it worked out pretty damn well for Robben.

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Understandable that the Dutch born player doesn't want to support anything German. Then again it worked out pretty damn well for Robben.

I took a few screenshots of local women on Tinder the last time I was in Barcelona (early June 2019) and there's a possibility that all types of scenery found in Barcelona are what convinced him to go there over Munich.

Slightly insane.

• Like 1

Olympic Qualifying Preliminary Rosters for all are released.  No Pomykal.  Hopefully he's healthy for Olympics and US qualifies.

https://mcusercontent.com/78d3589fb...b461-387ad3f10f46/Preliminary_Rosters_MOQ.pdf

GKs:
Drake Callender, 97, MIA
Jonathan Klinsmann, 97, LAG
Matt Freese, 98, PHI
David Ochoa, 01, RSL
Brady Scott, 99, AUS

Defenders:
Julian Araujo, 01, LAG
George Bello, 02, ATL
Kyle Duncan, 97, NYRB
Marco Farfan, 98, LAFC
Justen Glad, 97, RSL
Chris Gloster, 00, PSV (actually unattached)
Aaron Herrera, 97, RSL
Aboubacar Keita, 00, CLB
Henry Kessler, 98, NER
Mauricio Pineda, 97, CHI
Donovan Pines, 98, DCU
Bryan Reynolds, 01, Roma
Miles Robinson, 97, ATL
James Sands, 00, NYC
Auston Trusty, 98, COL
Sam Vines, 99, COL (Listed as MF)

Midfielders:
Brenden Aaronson, 00, RB Salzburg (But listed as PHI)
Efra Alvarez (!), 02, LAG (Listed in Mexico's provisional roster as well
Cole Bassett, 01, COL
Gianluca Busio, 02, SKC
Caden Clark, 03, NYRB
Johnny, 01, Internacional
Hassani Dotson, 97, MNU
Brooks Lennon, 97, ATL
Djordje Mihailovic, 98, MTL (listed as CHI)
Keaton Parks, 97, NYCFC
Andres Perea, 00, OCSC
Brandon Servania, 99, FCD
Tanner Tessmann, 01, FCD
Jackson Yueill, 97, SJE
Eryk Williamson, 97, POR
Frankie Amaya, 99, FCC (listed as FW)

Forwards:
Cade Cowell, 03, SJE
Konrad De La Fuente, 01, Barcelona
Jeremy Ebobisse, 97, POR
Jesus Ferreira, 00, FCD
Jonathan Lewis, 97, COL
Uly Llanez, 01, Wolfsburg
Benji Michel, 97, OCSC (not listed in Haiti's roster)
Ricardo Pepi, 03, FCD
Sebastian Saucedo, 97, Pumas UNAM
Sebastian Soto, 00, Norwich City

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, shnsajax said:

As someone who lightly supports Dortmund, give me this all fucking day over Chelsea.

Yeah, well, Bayern might be my least favorite team in Europe. Maybe it's a great move for him personally but I'm throwing up in my mouth at the idea of having to try and cheer for him in that shirt.

• Hook 'Em 1

GKs: I am interested to see how Klinsmann's boy does - not sure how much he will feature.

Defenders: Chris Gloster and Bryan Reynolds need to see heavy minutes (duh!). I want to see if Sam Vines is truly an option at LB for the MNT. I also want to see if the George Bello hype is substantiated.

Midfielders:  Brenden Aaronson and Johnny Cardoso are the automatic picks here (duh!). Efrain Alvarez has a better path to international play with Mexico. I wouldn't mind seeing Djordje Mihailovic getting some burn.

Forwards: I feel that there is serious depth here. I think Konrad de la Fuente needs to start. I would like to see Sebastian Soto get a lot of minutes. You can't go wrong with Ulysses Llanez. Jesus Ferreira is solid, too.

I know he's already senior MNT material, but I was wondering whether or not Yunus Musah should have received an invitation to show US Soccer's continued interest in him and maybe have him train/play with other guys that are in the senior MNT pool. But he might be better served staying with Valencia. I dunno, what do y'all think?

federation agm this weekend....

Spoiler

Soccer America Confidential

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

A battle for the soul of U.S. Soccer

by Beau Dure

A battle for the soul of U.S. Soccer is underway. And the sides are so firmly entrenched that this weekend’s Annual General Meeting might not resolve anything, even if the battle lands the Federation in hot water with the overseeing U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) -- and Congress.

Tugging in one direction is the notion that the Federation exists primarily to split its money between its senior national teams (men’s and women’s), professional players and promoters. That notion is tied to the lead weight of lawsuits, especially the one in which the U.S. women’s national team seems unwilling to relent in its claim for more money than U.S. Soccer is projected to have on hand in two years. Like the WNT, the NASL also has suffered setbacks in court, but its case is still dragging on and on.

(It has to be noted that the same lawyer, Jeff Kessler, is involved in both of those suits and another flailing legal action by Relevent Sports, now modified to go over U.S. Soccer’s head and drag FIFA to court. Twenty years after he led an ill-advised lawsuit by MLS players, he continues to chase the great white whale of a victory over the federation.)

Tugging in the other direction is the notion that the Federation should be as it was before the national teams and pro leagues took off – an organization in which adult amateur leagues ruled the roost.

The lawsuits have been covered in great detail, and they’re cited as part of the reason U.S. Soccer’s projected resources in two years will be $22.6 million rather than the projected $50 million the federation long intended to have on hand after the windfall of the Copa America Centenario and years of commercial growth gave them opportunities to invest in the interrelated areas of infrastructure, coaching development and player development. The other major factor in the federation’s slumping finances is, of course, the scourge of COVID-19.

A quick reminder: One year ago, the U.S. women’s expert economist pegged the team’s back pay at more than $66 million, most of it in World Cup bonuses many times in excess of what FIFA paid the fed.

The pull toward the “amateur” associations is newer, and it’s a defensive maneuver in the wake of legislation passed not in a U.S. Soccer meeting, but in Congress.

Bodies such as U.S. Soccer have long been required to have “athlete” representation of 20%. That number has been bumped up to 33.3% as part of a broad overhaul of the antiquated Ted Stevens Amateur and Olympic Sports Act, an effort taken in the wake of horrific sexual abuse scandals in gymnastics, swimming and a few other Olympic sports.

The U.S. Adult Soccer Association and several state associations aren’t interested in giving up any more of their power than they already conceded over the last 50 years.

The Adult Council currently gets roughly 25% of the vote in the Annual General Meeting, and it has two spots on a 15-member board – same as the Youth Council and the Pro Council. The Athletes Council gets 20% and three board spots, both required to meet the pre-2020 Stevens Act requirements. (The rest of the board: a president and vice president elected by the general membership, as will happen at the Feb. 27 meeting, three independent directors, and an “at-large” member elected through a byzantine process designed to give ancillary constituencies a say.)

So if you can’t beat the Athletes Council vote, the adult organizations reckon, join the Athletes Council.

The argument seems silly at first glance. The Youth Council represents the future, from those who will replace Megan Rapinoe and Jozy Altidore  on national teams to millions of future supporters. The Pro Council also represents athletes who may also be on national teams, and its clubs help to develop the sport’s supporter base. So why should the Adult Council – with all due respect to amateur leagues’ history, the least consequential of the federation’s major bodies – have the same say as the much larger Youth Council and higher-profile Pro Council, let alone more than the Athletes?

Consider U.S. Soccer's revenues from registration. The USASA’s contribution is projected at $261,084 -- far smaller than the U.S. Youth Soccer Association ($1,455,000) and barely bigger than the youth-only AYSO ($230,000) and the mostly youth US Club Soccer ($220,000). In the FY 2022 projection, the USASA is expected to have a slight bump ($268,869), while MLS ($770,000) and the NWSL ($350,000) are projected to return to what they paid in the past.

But the USASA and the states have a clever argument, encapsulated in a series of by-law amendments they have introduced for approval at Saturday's National Council meeting to expand the definition of "Amateur Athlete."

Even after the 2020 revisions, the Sports Act has a terrible definition of “Amateur Athlete”: “an athlete who meets the eligibility standards established by the national governing body or paralympic sports organization for the sport in which the athlete competes.”

Later in the Act, the definition is further muddled. The USOPC is required to have representation for “amateur athletes who are actively engaged in amateur athletic competition or who have represented the United States in international amateur athletic competition.”

The USSF adult constituencies are harping on the first part of that: “actively engaged in amateur athletic competition.” Congratulations, dude who plays in an over-30 league. You’re now at the same level of representation as Christian Pulisic and Becky Sauerbrunn, the latter of whom serves on several USSF committees.

The Act is still somewhat vague on the definition of “athlete” in terms of meeting the 33.3% requirement. It specifies 20% must be composed of athletes who currently represent the USA in international competition (Olympics, World Championships, similar competitions) or have done so in the past 10 years. The wiggle room the adults may have would be the undefined 13.3% for “athletes” but not necessarily “current or recent national team athletes.”

The USOPC, though, eliminated that possibility in its own bylaws, reserving those extra spaces for any athlete who has repped the USA at all, 10 years ago or longer. (See Section 8.5.3.) A lawyer may try to spin it differently, but it seems unlikely anyone could argue that U.S. Soccer could approve these bylaw amendments without running afoul of the USOPC – which, like it or not, is the parent body of U.S. Soccer.

Indiana’s association has a bolder idea, proposing to increase Athletes Council representation to 33.3% by eliminating some representatives, including both Pro Council reps! The Adult Council would keep one of its two representatives in addition to its players’ new status on the Athletes Council.

The Board of Directors, which voted overwhelmingly (12-2) not to recommend the “amateur athlete” redefinition, unanimously voted not to recommend the Indiana proposal. Instead, U.S. Soccer president Cindy Parlow Cone and 10 other Board members have proposed to keep it simple and add three athletes to the board, giving them six places on a board of 18. This proposal received 11-3 support of the board.

In a peacekeeping effort, Cone wrote a letter asking that all the by-law amendments, including the one with her name on it, be withdrawn or tabled for now, with a special meeting to follow at some point after the staff, board and membership can come up with something palatable. That’s not likely to happen. The USASA and state association proposals may or may not continue with their proposals, which surely won’t get the two-thirds support required to pass. And there’s no guarantee the rest of the board will go along with Cone’s request to punt for now.

Even if Cone’s suggested delay comes to pass, it will merely put off the inevitable. Cone’s letter indicates that any discussion beyond this weekend will be less of a seminar and more of a lecture. She warns that the USOPC and Congress, which assumed more direct oversight in last year’s Sports Act revision, could move to decertify U.S. Soccer if they don’t move quickly to give athletes their required representation.

“Although the Board has been educated on these issues since October 2020, it has become apparent that there is a lack of understanding among the membership surrounding the recent amendments to the USOPC Bylaws,” Cone wrote.

Imparting that understanding is surely a matter of when, not if.

In other AGM business, the Board of Directors also isn’t interested in a West Virginia proposal to split Pro Council votes equally among men and women -- surprisingly, the vote to recommend against it was unanimous, even though it seems like a good way to demonstrate more of a commitment to gender equity. Nor is it signing off on a Metropolitan D.C.-Virginia Soccer Association policy proposal to slash registration fees – youth player fees would drop from $1 to 10 cents, adults from $2 to 25 cents.

This year’s AGM, which will be held virtually, also includes a couple of elections stemming from Carlos Cordeiro’s resignation as president in March. Cone was elevated from vice president to president at the time and is running unopposed to fill the remaining year of Cordeiro’s term. The election for the remaining three years of Cone’s vice presidential term has drawn four candidates -- longtime U.S. national team player Cobi Jones, Idaho youth soccer president Bill Taylor, longtime U.S. Soccer board member Tim Turney and Metropolitan DC-Virginia adult association president Jim Sadowski.

And the board is already changing thanks to sweeping change in the Athletes Council. A group of young athletes who banded together under the “Next Gen United” banner was elected after a strong social media campaign. The surprise was that three of only four holdovers running for 10 spots lost their re-election bids, most notably Lori Lindsey, the council’s vice president and one of the athletes’ representatives on the U.S. Soccer board.

So U.S. Soccer is changing, bit by bit. Athletes, particularly young athletes, will have more say.

Meanwhile, the adult amateurs pushing back on the changes will need to answer some questions. Why should they have as much say as the millions of youth players? Why do we even have separate “Youth” and “Adult” factions instead of encouraging clubs and therefore associations to have complete pathways from the smallest ages up to amateur teams?

Then everyone will be on the same page for the biggest challenge facing U.S. Soccer in the 2020s -- paying legal bills.