USMNT 2021

Napoleon

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Shocking.  

Jozy should get a "Farewell" call-up against Grenada or someone like that at NYRB arena so that he can score a goal in front of his hometown friends & family and then hobble off into the sunset with "Former grand slam champion once again knocked out in the first round" Sloane Stephens so that they can have babies who hopefully have better fitness and focus than their parents.

2 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Shocking.  

I hope Mueller starts (and does awesome so he gets a transfer to the Bundesliega where he will be mistaken for a native Deutschlander because of his name)). Any other preferences for our starting '9'?

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-friendly/2021/1/24/22247307/gregg-berhalter-usa-usmnt-roster-january-camp-friendly-trinidad-tobago

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Shocking.  

Apparently there is also "Transfer speculation" involved. W... T... F...??

Altidore will sit out for USA as transfer deadlines loom

4ab52bdc7e4abdceaba4474c70dc54ab

Toronto FC striker Jozy Altidore will not play Sunday for the United States against Trinidad & Tobago, US coach Gregg Berhalter said Saturday, as European transfer deadlines approach.

Berhalter said that Altidore had a minor muscle strain but also cited interest from multiple clubs and Monday transfer deadlines in Europe for benching the most experienced player in camp with 115 caps.

"With the transfer window looming and the game being tomorrow, it's a chance we didn't want to take with Jozy, so he will not be participating," Berhalter said.

"We've gotten calls about a ton of players. Jozy is another focus of transfer speculation. I don't think it's my place to go into details of that. I think that's a place for his club and for Jozy. But there have been a number of clubs interested in Jozy."

Altidore downplayed the chances of his departing the Major League Soccer squad in a Twitter posting Saturday.

"Don't believe everything you read," he tweeted. "The devil is working overtime."

Altidore, 31, has scored 58 goals in 123 MLS appearances for Toronto since joining the Canadian club in 2015.

Toronto FC has made three trips to the MLS Cup final, winning in 2017, and five playoff appearances in his six seasons, but was ousted in the first round in 2020.

MLS clubs and players are locked in a money dispute that jeopardizes the planned April start to the 2021 campaign, with the league threatening a lockout if no deal is struck by Thursday.

js/bb

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

I like Jozy.  I think with our youngsters he could thrive.  But he just can’t stay healthy.  I’ve never gotten the shit some US fans throw at him.   Not saying anyone here is, but just in general.

1) He can't stay healthy.
2) He has probably had at least 25 USMNT matches where it looked like he was walking/jogging instead of running and was gassed at the 55' mark.
3) He is handed a starting position whenever he wants it.
4) See #1

Start at #1 and stop when you get to #5.

...or stop after 10 years, whichever comes first.

If you get tired of going through the reasons, then perhaps you'll understand how everyone else feels.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

We agree on # 1

This is where I am as well. Jozy doesn't bother me, and he's had a decent career. Half of which he has been misused by shitty coaches and formations throwing him as a lone striker. Yet Jozy gets the blame when when no one else showed a glimer of hope for more than a couple of months over the past decade. I mean Wondo got 35 caps over a 5 year period between '11-'16. Landon just shuts everything down for a couple of years and gets less crap than Jozy. Aron became a poor man's Jozy in less than a years time. Jozy is a product of all our failure's over the past decade and still takes the blame for it. 

I agree with @Napoleon.

I don't care if a player takes time off or stays in the MLS or whatevs.  What does bother me is laziness on the field.  He straight up half-assed it through many of the US games that I watched.  He also has/had the habit of ducking on 50/50 balls in the air.  

Yes, he was misused, played in some shitty circumstances, and got hurt at unfortunate times, but my issue is with effort.

• Like 1

Dike* just screams 

All-American Tight End!!

Shitty PK, but I doubt that there was any contact between the boot and the head, but it was a dangerous high kick. 

The former baseball player-turned-keeper looked like a MLB shortstop on that PK. 

Yay team!

*EDIT: Dike is listed at 6’1” in Wikipedia, so he has either grown since that entry or everyone else is lying about their height. 

I thought that he was 6’4”.

Edited by Napoleon

21 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I like Jozy.  I think with our youngsters he could thrive.  But he just can’t stay healthy.  I’ve never gotten the shit some US fans throw at him.   Not saying anyone here is, but just in general.

He tries my patience and his presence on the pitch -- indeed, in the stadium -- irks me.

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the best sign of the night is the total lack of interest in this fixture from surl nats fans

This was my come back around game. Put the TV outside and grilled some burgers. Neighbor asked if I was watching THE GAME, and  walked over for responsibly distanced beers.  Best part was my 7 year old asking to stay outside to watch until the end before bath and bed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I watched and enjoyed it, but of the Nats playing, how many have a shot at minutes in a WCQ or WQ match?   Long and Arriola 

While I just enjoy rooting for the USMNT, it’s hard to get super excited about our B/C team, vs a bad T&T side.   Add into that the rise of all our A listers playing well in Europe and Covid stripping us for a chance to see them, outside of those 2 friendlies last year.  

That being said, it was enjoyable to watch a team play on the front foot and score a touchdown.   Our B team MLSers wouldn’t have done that in years past and now they’ve done it in back to back matches.  Progress.