Guest Simkins Rat

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Anthony Nesty. 

Is that the rumor or just your preferred target? He would be an amazing hire. But he's a Florida alum, would be a surprise if he left there.

I'd be happy with Nesty, Bowman, or Holloway. Durden too but there's just no way

Edited by BevoBae

2 hours ago, BevoBae said:

Is that the rumor or just your preferred target? He would be an amazing hire. But he's a Florida alum, would be a surprise if he left there.

I'd be happy with Nesty, Bowman, or Holloway. Durden too but there's just no way

I’ll say more of what I know after the hire is made. But I have a friend that has a friend etc.. and he’s very reliable regarding information.

He has floated a few names he would think would be good hires, Cal - Durden is who he said would be the greatest, best, who he’d want etc.. 

He also said ASU - Briggs would be the next on his candidate list who he would like, was Phelps former coach. 

I think Desorbo would be worth a look. But he’s kinda more of a women’s coach, but he has the potential to make a run on the men’s side starting next season.

Nesty is what he’s heard. His take is, if he is the one, probably as good as you can hope. Consistently wins the SEC, won a women’s title, knocking on the door on the men’s side. 

He’s also said nobody will be Eddie.

Home run hire. 

He created Phelps, and developed the swim star of this coming Olympics - a French kid named Leon Marchand who could have won the NCAA title in at least half of the events. He brought ASU from nothing a few years ago to a convincing NCAA team title this year. He has revitalized the careers of several American pro swimmers in his current pro group. There's no question he can develop talent.

If he can bring in a good sprint coach and use the Texas draw to improve domestic recruiting, he could build a powerhouse here. Will be interesting to see if he brings over any ASU swimmers and can keep the young talent we currently have.

My only reservation is that I'm not sure how this will work with him 'overseeing' the women's program, because Capitani has built a solid program and doesn't deserve a reduced role. And agreed, hopefully we keep Scoggin.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Bowman looks…..not much younger than Reese. Even if he’s successful, I wonder how close he is to retiring 

He’s 58. Reese is 82 lol. So Bowman looks older or Reese looks younger 

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

His job is to literally lounge by the pool all day long.  How stressful could it be? 10 more years he says....

Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but I'll take the bait on this just in case you're serious. Being a D1 college swim coach is an extremely stressful job. There's a significant amount of science that goes into creating a swimming training program, and the catch is there's no such thing as a "one-size fits all" program for college swimmers (especially males). You've got to plan out the entire year in advance in terms of how quickly you ramp up to your most intense training period, then how long you stay at that intense period, and then how quickly you back off the intensity as you head into the big meets. Then you have to take that plan and tweak it slightly for 30ish individuals every single year. It takes a special mind to be able to put all of that together and coach a successful team, and once you reach the level where you're expected to deliver national championships on a regular basis (i.e. Bowman at Texas), the stress levels are very high. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BevoBae said:

My only reservation is that I'm not sure how this will work with him 'overseeing' the women's program, because Capitani has built a solid program and doesn't deserve a reduced role

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Wasn't this fairly obvious? We have the 2nd best swimming and diving program on the women's side. 

There was some confusion with naming him the Director of Swimming but even in the announcement, it said Capitani would remain fully in charge of her program

Multiple individuals who have familiarity with the search tell SwimSwam that Texas is considering a ‘Director of Swimming’ position for the right candidate. This person would directly lead the men’s team and oversee the entire swimming & diving program, including the women’s team that has finished 2nd at each of the last three NCAA Championship meets.

This structure allows University of Texas administrators flexibility in two key ways: it allows them to go after a coach who wants to continue to coach both genders, and it also allows them to set a higher payscale for the program without either creating a standard for the head coach of just the men’s team or creating a significant pay disparity with women’s team head coach Carol Capitani for a similar position.

The same individuals didn’t rule out that the structure could be in reverse: Capitani could become the Director and oversee both programs while Texas hires a less-experienced head coach to run the men’s program.

While it is not always overtly stated, many collegiate swim programs are structured this way around the country where the nominal head coach focuses on one gender while staying involved with the other alongside a coach hired specifically to lead the other gender.

Edited by Js1

Three of ASU's best 4 returning swimmers (I'm assuming Marchand will go pro) have already entered the transfer portal. Unclear if they plan to follow Bowman to Texas but certainly possible. If they transfer here, their arrival plus our current roster and hopefully a sprinter transfer or two could make up a championship team.

• Hook 'Em 3