Survivor 41

Message Board User

I posted this in the Netflix thread but this thread seems appropriate as well. 

2 seasons of Survivor dropped today. Seasons 16 ( Fans vs Favorites) and 37 (Davids vs Goliaths). Both are good but 16 is a personal favorite and is outstanding. It has perhaps the dumbest move in Survivor history and is hilarious. 

So why did Ricard/Chan* throw away the extra vote?  They split their votes 2-1.  If they had split them 1-1, Naseer still would have gone home unless he played his idle and then it would have been Heather.

*I don't even know who had it.

So why did Ricard/Chan* throw away the extra vote?  They split their votes 2-1.  If they had split them 1-1, Naseer still would have gone home unless he played his idle and then it would have been Heather.
*I don't even know who had it.

I wondered the same. The only scenario I can think is they were scared of Heather/Erika going rogue and voting for Shan, then that would be a 2-2-1 result and a revote with Shan and Heather being the options. I guess they had fear of Naseer flipping on the revote? Who knows.

I mean their plan had a 100% chance of success, so I guess that’s slightly better than the 99.5% scenario I just laid out. Seems like a wasted extra vote to me, unless Naseer wasn’t really as loyal as they made him appear in the edit.

Also, I think it’s pretty clear this season is the Shan story. Either she wins, or the person most responsible for her elimination will, IMO.

We've seen a lot of questionable strategy this season. 

• Shan is determined to target players who don't appear to be significant threats. 
  • The bottom feeders are generally targeting their own instead of making a coordinated effort to take out a major player.  Naseer didn't know he was a bottom feeder, which is sort of my point.  Heather really blew it last week when she threw Naseer out as a target instead of trying to get him to do something meaningful.
  • The main alliance has shown a few cracks, but when push comes to shove, no one is making a move.  I guess they all think it is too early to make the big move and have that target on their back.  

For those on the Danny bandwagon, what exactly has he done to show that he would be a deserving winner?  He seems like a nice enough guy, but he has not driven any eliminations or made any moves at all.  If the winner is going to come from the main alliance, I think I would prefer Deshawn.  

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

For those on the Danny bandwagon, what exactly has he done to show that he would be a deserving winner?  He seems like a nice enough guy, but he has not driven any eliminations or made any moves at all.  If the winner is going to come from the main alliance, I think I would prefer Deshawn.  

I think it's one of those things where the edit isn't quite matching up with what is happening.  We've seen multiple times where people go to Danny with an idea and he kinda hesitates or pushes back, and the vote ends up being what Danny wanted.  I think it's obvious he has some serious power in that alliance, but we haven't been shown his thinking/strategy nearly as much as Shan or Deshawn.  Makes me think he comes up short.

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

image.png.031414609d557b1899cc905e045b98a9.png

Idiot. Nothing like cancelling your own vote. 

Actually it was the smart move.  In the case of Heather and Erika flipping and putting two votes on Shan, there would be a 2-2-1 vote (Shan-Heather-Naseer).  From there, Ricard, Erika and Naseer would vote between Shan and Heather which would put Shan at risk.  By splitting her vote, it became 3-3 (assuming everyone voted as planned) where they could control who gets voted off.

17 minutes ago, speed817 said:

Actually it was the smart move.  In the case of Heather and Erika flipping and putting two votes on Shan, there would be a 2-2-1 vote (Shan-Heather-Naseer).  From there, Ricard, Erika and Naseer would vote between Shan and Heather which would put Shan at risk.  By splitting her vote, it became 3-3 (assuming everyone voted as planned) where they could control who gets voted off.

Did they ever even discuss that or did you figure that out?  If so, good job.  I'm going to listen to Tyson's podcast at some point today to hear his thoughts on it.  The fascinating thing going on this season is the Cookout II is once again doing things that don't benefit their personal game as much as it benefits the alliance.  Last night was a mistake by Deshawn in my opinion.  He's at the bottom of that alliance just because he's on the wrong side of Shan.  He should have taken out her lieutenant to weaken her and worked both sides for a few weeks.  There's a good chance the four of them are left standing at the end and future seasons of Survivor and Big Brother are going to be very interesting.  The first thing everyone who isn't black is going to say on Day 1 is "We're targeting the black folks, right?"  And the racism cries should fall on deaf ears because I'm blown away by how they've stuck together on these two seasons.  It's pretty incredible.  There's a bigger discussion there that would probably be pretty interesting as to the cause of that.  

Xanders been a strong player but he made a mistake by not saving Evvie. Or more importantly getting out liana. Sure giving up his idol puts him at risk but his idol only gives him one extra week. Getting rid of Liana would have given Xander more options. But I do understand not wanting to save Evvie as well.

I was wondering if Xander was going to attempt to fake everyone out by openly saying he was going to save Evvie with his idol. Liana and Deshawn wouldn’t have been able to take the risk that Xander was bluffing. They would have turned on each other and Xander wouldn’t have needed to play the idol. And even if that plan failed and they all voted Evvie, Xander would still be in the same position with an idol in his pocket.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Xanders been a strong player but he made a mistake by not saving Evvie. Or more importantly getting out liana. Sure giving up his idol puts him at risk but his idol only gives him one extra week. Getting rid of Liana would have given Xander more options. But I do understand not wanting to save Evvie as well.

I was wondering if Xander was going to attempt to fake everyone out by openly saying he was going to save Evvie with his idol. Liana and Deshawn wouldn’t have been able to take the risk that Xander was bluffing. They would have turned on each other and Xander wouldn’t have needed to play the idol. And even if that plan failed and they all voted Evvie, Xander would still be in the same position with an idol in his pocket.

I don't disagree with any of this.  I do understand wanting to save the idol to use on himself, but I was really hoping he would save Evvie.  I'm not sure a bluff would work after the one he already did on Liana, but as you said, there was no downside.  He may not get another chance to get rid of someone in that alliance, and it would have been another good accomplishment to add to the résumé.  He may regret not having Evvie's vote to make any future moves.  He was likely going to have to find/win more advantages to make it to the end, regardless, but at some point you need allies.  

On 11/18/2021 at 10:22 AM, speed817 said:

Any vote for Heather is a wasted vote. Shan should have saved the extra vote and Naseer goes home anyway, which is actually better for her because now she can go back to Deshawn and Danny to claim she did what they wanted. Got rid of Naseer. The real winner was Ricard, getting Shan to play that extra vote.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It would have been great just to watch Liana go home. But, Xander would have been on the chopping block next week without his idol. Maybe instead he plays his extra vote and votes for LIana 2x.  In the revote it would have been his two votes versus Deshawn/Danny's votes for Evvie. He's wearing immunity so one or both of Deshawn and Danny would be forced to join him and throw Liana under the bus or to draw rocks between themselves for only one to stay in the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That's where I'm at.   He came off in the early espisodes as a super douche, but he's played an amazing game.  That was one of the best moves in years.

I couldn’t believe he realized it at the exact moment he should have. Seems like so many of them see it and know they should do something about it, but they drag their feet and miss their shot. And get evicted a week later.

Deshaw and Danny may have just made it a little easier for future black competitors on Survivor and BB. If we’d have had a Cookout II, they’d have been the first target in every future season. I still think they’re going to have a difficult go, but at least it will be strategy and not subtle racism.

Ricard is indeed playing well.  Let's see if he is able to defend now that he has the biggest target.  I think Erika deserves at least a little credit for the way the votes were split.  Perhaps she is as sneaky as Shan claimed, and has been doing more behind the scenes than editing has shown. 

I expect the winner to come from:
Ricard
Erika
Xander (will have to continue relying on advantages and challenge prowess)
Deshawn (has ground to make up, but clearly came to play)

Maybe maybe maybe:
Danny (is likeable enough to win, but unless he starts directing some moves, he's on the outside looking in; essentially has the same résumé as Deshawn, but gives the appearance of being more passive)

Not likely to win (one or both are probably going to be taken to final tribal as a non-threat):
Heather
Liana

• Like 1

I understand that they want to be more culturally/lifestyle sensitive and that attempting to increase awareness is part of that, but man, I would not have wanted to be a white person at that tribal trying to portray a convincing level of understanding and sympathy.  It's a no win situation.  And where does Erika fit in to that equation?  Does she count as a person of color or is she a person of not the right color?  

There's no need to respond to any of that, as I don't want to derail Survivor discussion, but it has been difficult to not at least acknowledge the obvious theme of this season without it possibly being offensive.

As for the game itself, I think it was the correct move to not target Ricard yet.  Voting him out would have evened the alliance numbers at 3, and that's too risky with so many twists.  If Xander's extra vote was good for one more week, then I would feel differently.  Ricard definitely needs to go at the next opportunity, if there is one.  If not, then Erika and Xander aren't playing to win.  

5 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I understand that they want to be more culturally/lifestyle sensitive and that attempting to increase awareness is part of that, but man, I would not have wanted to be a white person at that tribal trying to portray a convincing level of understanding and sympathy.  It's a no win situation.  And where does Erika fit in to that equation?  Does she count as a person of color or is she a person of not the right color?  

There's no need to respond to any of that, as I don't want to derail Survivor discussion, but it has been difficult to not at least acknowledge the obvious theme of this season without it possibly being offensive.

As for the game itself, I think it was the correct move to not target Ricard yet.  Voting him out would have evened the alliance numbers at 3, and that's too risky with so many twists.  If Xander's extra vote was good for one more week, then I would feel differently.  Ricard definitely needs to go at the next opportunity, if there is one.  If not, then Erika and Xander aren't playing to win.  

I think I was holding my breath for Heather when she was answering the question from Jeff about that entire subject.  She was really bordering on a lot of white privilege, I didn't even know it was happening!  I think she navigated it pretty well, but it got tenuous for a few seconds there.  

Targeting Ricard would have been a terrible move.  So the choice for Xander and Erica, who have been on the bottom the entire time, was stick with a majority alliance you've finally gotten into and probably get to breathe for at least one or two Tribal councils.  OR, fuck over your brand new majority alliance and join up with Danny, Liana, and Deshawn after they just told you there is an unspoken bond between them and you'll be the expendable one at the bottom of the alliance.  If they considered it at all, I bet the TC confirmed for them which way to go.  

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

I think I was holding my breath for Heather when she was answering the question from Jeff about that entire subject.  She was really bordering on a lot of white privilege, I didn't even know it was happening!  I think she navigated it pretty well, but it got tenuous for a few seconds there.  

Targeting Ricard would have been a terrible move.  So the choice for Xander and Erica, who have been on the bottom the entire time, was stick with a majority alliance you've finally gotten into and probably get to breathe for at least one or two Tribal councils.  OR, fuck over your brand new majority alliance and join up with Danny, Liana, and Deshawn after they just told you there is an unspoken bond between them and you'll be the expendable one at the bottom of the alliance.  If they considered it at all, I bet the TC confirmed for them which way to go.  

I agree about Heather, and she was who I was thinking of when I commented about being white at that tribal.  She definitely had a deer in the headlights moment there.  I suspect they spent more time than usual (re)filming that, and there was probably some coaching on how to respond to those questions.  

Xander and/or Erika are going to have to make a move if they want to win.  It's encouraging that they at least gave it thought before coming to the correct decision.  The winner will be Ricard or the person who can convince the jury that they engineered his elimination, assuming they get that far.    

This hasn't been my favorite season, but I am enjoying more than expected.

It's funny: the "twist" that Deshawn got was fucking absurd and, considering the stage of the game, one of the most ill-conceived concepts the show has ever come up with.... but, it's also the only reason he's still alive so I guess he can't complain.

Pretty incredible how this cast has continually managed to dodge or minimize the horrible ideas production has thrown out this season.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1

^^^
i thought last night’s twists were interesting. Lots of ways it could have gone with the challenge participation choice, 1st out twist and the live or die result. I don’t want most of these concepts to be a regular occurrence in the future but they’ve been fun change of pace for this truncated season. 

Edited by TonyTexas

30 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^
i thought last night’s twists were interesting. Lots of ways it could have gone with the challenge participation choice, 1st out twist and the live or die result. I don’t want most of these concepts to be a regular occurrence in the future but they’ve been fun change of pace for this truncated season. 

I wouldn't have minded it so much if it was earlier, like maybe right after the merge or something.  It just seems insane to decide someone's fate by a game of chance in the final 7.  

I think I'd like the "Do or Die" concept a lot better if there was an actual challenge he had to complete.  "Make fire in X minutes" or even give him another shot at the immunity challenge he just lost and make him balance that ball for a certain period of time.  Anything that he can actually have some control over.

17 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I wouldn't have minded it so much if it was earlier, like maybe right after the merge or something.  It just seems insane to decide someone's fate by a game of chance in the final 7.  

I think I'd like the "Do or Die" concept a lot better if there was an actual challenge he had to complete.  "Make fire in X minutes" or even give him another shot at the immunity challenge he just lost and make him balance that ball for a certain period of time.  Anything that he can actually have some control over.

Not a huge fan of this particular twist either, but to be fair, Jeff said if you choose to participate in the challenge and are first out, you may be toast.  Knowing that, Deshawn still participated in the challenge (as did four others).  Maybe he thought that since he had an 80% chance of NOT being the first out of the challenge, he liked the odds.  

On 12/2/2021 at 10:40 AM, idigTexas said:

at this tribal deshawn kind of touched on what happened when he got back to camp after the last tribal, but he did it in an apologetic way.  he should have come out and said, so the jury could hear, what exactly was the issue.  that ricard orchestrated the hit on shan and yet deshawn gets called a snake.  shan to this day doesnt realize ricard did that and needs to know.  ricard is trying to fly under the radar and needs to be exposed.  if they dont figure out a way to vote him out he's going to win.

Box shit was stupid as fuck at this stage. Glad he beat it.

Yeah. I don’t mind mixing things up with some sort of consequence for going out first and giving people the choice to sit out but you should only ever leave the game by being voted out. The consequence needs to be losing a vote, not being eligible for the next immunity, going to an island for 24 hours and missing the pre-tribal strategy, etc.

I'm not sure how I feel about last night's episode.  Deshawn sure is getting a heavy edit, though as we saw with Shan, that may not mean anything and could just be a continuation of the "awareness" theme. 

It was somewhat ballsy to split the votes, as it could have produced a three way tie if Danny and Deshawn targeted someone other than each other.  I guess the revote still would have gone the same way, so it wouldn't have mattered, but it does indicate the level of trust among the current majority alliance.

Getting rid of Danny instead of Deshawn feels like a mistake.  I have to assume that Ricard engineered that vote, and that the others went along with it to keep the target safely off of themselves.  Someone needs to beat Ricard in a challenge, or this thing is over.  

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So Ricard is the obvious favorite but if they are able to take him out before the final tribal then we're going to have a very odd winner.  I guess it would be Erika?  Xander has seemingly played a decent game but I don't get the impression that the others respect it.  No chance Deshawn or Heather win.

I agree on Heather, but I'm not willing to count out Deshawn.  There is still an idol afloat, assuming that actually is what is in the package that Danny didn't see.  If Deshawn makes it to final tribal, he'll get the black vote, and possibly some others if he sells it, especially if he wins immunity or a fire challenge and sends Ricard home.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I agree on Heather, but I'm not willing to count out Deshawn.  There is still an idol afloat, assuming that actually is what is in the package that Danny didn't see.  If Deshawn makes it to final tribal, he'll get the black vote, and possibly some others if he sells it, especially if he wins immunity or a fire challenge and sends Ricard home.    

Yeah, maybe "no chance" was strong, but I really am getting the impression that the jury does not like Deshawn.  I'm also not convinced he'd get Shan or Liana's vote, depending on how the endgame plays out.

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, maybe "no chance" was strong, but I really am getting the impression that the jury does not like Deshawn.  I'm also not convinced he'd get Shan or Liana's vote, depending on how the endgame plays out.

Many have certainly expressed some unflattering sentiments toward Deshawn, but I got the impression that his emotional words from last week's tribal may have earned some sincere sympathy and understanding.  When it comes down to it, I think they will want to see a person of color win, and that will trump any reasons they have to vote for someone else, with the possible exception of Ricard.  We'll see.