stupolvo

Motorcycle Fanatics Thread

11 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. I’ve wanted to ride (and specifically for some reason have lusted after a Triumph Bonneville), for several years. But I will definitely take the class first.

By all accounts, the Bonnevilles are great bikes. I haven't ridden one, but I'm still stupid enough to want a fast bike. Class is a great introduction, but I'd encourage you to look at it as the first of many. Riding is a skill that requires constant development. The more you educate yourself, the less likely you are to get killed. 

First bike ever, outside of the beater dirt bike I learned on, was a 79 Bonneville. Loved that bike! Bought it for $900 in pretty bad shape, rode it for 2 years and then stripped it down, powder coated the frame and brackets and did a top end engine rebuild, clutch, new carbs and a ton of other stuff and rode it for a few more years. Knocked up my girlfriend/future wife and sold it, partly for money but mostly because riding made a new mother nervous. Wish I'd kept that bike though, such a cool motorcycle.

15 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. I’ve wanted to ride (and specifically for some reason have lusted after a Triumph Bonneville), for several years. But I will definitely take the class first.

Do yourself a favor and take it in nice spring or fall weather.  It’s easier to be comfortable when you’re not layered up or sweating bullets on the asphalt.  Bikes are in demand in the spring so it’s harder to negotiate but you’d have all summer to get comfortable with it. 

I think a Bonny would be a great first bike.  I’d suggest a used one, that’s fuel injected, and maybe already with a little wear on it.  You’ll probably drop it, you may not like riding a roadster style with no windscreen, you might want something with more power, etc.  Have your M endorsement and insurance ready, and consider bringing an experienced friend along to ride it home for you / test it out so you’re not learning a new bike fresh out of class on I35 or something.  When I bought my 06 Ninja 650 I had a friend drive behind me in a car to block traffic and make sure I got home safe so that’s an alternative.  

Edited by Homercles

Can’t remember if I put it here or TOS but I’ve pimped this page before as great reading: https://www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx

Little stuff you won’t learn in class like braking theory, why not to ride down the center of a lane on most roads, group riding safety, etc.  I always picked one side or the other of a lane to stay off the slick oil/water line, stay as far away as possible from oncoming traffic, have longer sight lines, etc.  Same thing as when I dove regularly, always asking myself what my plan would be for a quick exit if things went to shit...like using the ‘buddy system’ when entering an intersection, trying to have a car between me and someone potentially running the red light.  

If you can’t tell, I miss it.  The little things like riding over a creek and getting that wave of cool humid air, all the smells you never get in a car, carving a perfect line on a fast sweeper, kids waving at you, that direct connection to the machine humming away, group rides to marble falls.  But I did it long enough to have friends crash, on crutches, road rash, have the shit scared on me on a tall overpass when the dumbass in front of me slammed on the brakes for a bird or getting my rear tire bumped by an inattentive teen behind me while I was stopped.  My kids at 6 and 3 are dependent on me so had to hang it up.  

Edited by Homercles

Well given the last post for any perspective or returning riders I'll provide my list of safety equipment in order of priority below. I never ride without all of them and I have variations of each for different weather/environment/tasks. If you want help on what to buy, or where to source let me know. Note, I'm an Shoei helmet and Alpine Star fan boy, particularly boots.

1) Helmet - go to a shop with lots of various manufacturers. Find the right fit. Different manufacturers fit differently.

2) Pants. You no longer need to wear leather racing suits. There are kevlar lined jeans and a huge variety for different situations. This is #2, as when, yes when, you lay your bike down your gonna spend a lot of time on your ass and knees.

3) Gloves. See he note on 3 regarding laying the bike down. If you don't have gloves on you will jack your hands up badly. These are the least expensive part.

4) Jacket - Tons of options here that will not only keep your skin from requiring a scrub brush to clean road grit, but will also provide protection for your back, shoulders and elbows.

5) Riding boots. While a good pair of hiking boots will suffice, to get real protection you need dedicated riding boots. There are a HUGE variety and they achieve different level of protection and are developed for different riding situations. I have off road boots, hard weather long distance, sport riding and round town boots. I'm a shoe whore so.. 

Again, feel free to ask questions. While the list isn't subjective the specific equipment is very subjective and different people will have opinions. You'll have some hit and miss. Most dedicated online dealers allow feedback, which is way better and more specific than average online review shit, typically.

Edited by BurntEyes