Loss of a pet

LTbear

22 hours ago, Hate said:

Not really the kind of pussy pics we are accustomed to from you, but I’m very sorry for your loss. To have it happen so suddenly is particularly heartbreaking.

6 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

Maine Coons are great cats. Sorry man. 

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Charlie looks like he was a great cat.  Sorry for your loss.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This is the reason I went so long without a dog after I had to put down my Shepard Duke not long after my first divorce.  I just got to the point where losing them was just too hard.  Hopefully Sebastian, my new one, will outlive me.

I appreciate y'all. Wife is a doctor who's lost patients, done CPR to patients, etc.; she still said the 5 minutes of processing what was happening while trying to save Charlie was the most traumatic of her life. Just a rough day. Thank y'all for the words and encouragement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sorry to hear about your loss
He certainly looks to have some Maine coon in him
I had a Maine Coon mix like yours that was a stray, he who passed a few back at the age of 16 from cardiomopathy, I first noticed he would occasional start weezing like asthma when hes around 8 or 9. After a few of those episodes we took him to the vet and hes was diagnosed with it.
They prescribed him multiple medicines to help slow down the process and it did but eventully his chest cavity started to retain so much fluid he was having difficulty breathing and I had to put him down.

Hardest thing Ive ever had to do

• Hook 'Em 1

This is the reason I went so long without a dog after I had to put down my Shepard Duke not long after my first divorce.  I just got to the point where losing them was just too hard.  Hopefully Sebastian, my new one, will outlive me.
This where I am, I cant go through that type of loss again
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Smax said:

Sorry to hear about your loss
He certainly looks to have some
I had a Maine Coon mix like yours that was a stray, he who passed a few back at the age of 16 from cardiomopathy, I first noticed he would occasional start weezing like asthma when hes around 8 or 9. After a few of those episodes we took him to the vet and hes was diagnosed with it.
They prescribed him multiple medicines to help slow down the process and it did but eventully his chest cavity started to retain so much fluid he was having difficulty breathing and I eventually had to put him down.

Hardest thing Ive ever had to do

Ya when I had to put down my old cat Jack last year it was truly the hardest day of my life. Harder than losing my grandparents or Dad or anything else. The overwhelming sense of responsibility just got to me. 

With Charlie, he occasionally had small "wheezing" spells, but only immediately after running around like a madman chasing laser pointers and whatnot. I always took it as just breathing hard from the exertion, but now I see perhaps it was something more. Just so unexpected for such a young and (outwardly) healthy kitten. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

This is how I am as well.  We put down our lab in early 2009.  I did not want a pet after that.  I finally caved we my son and wife conspired against me and we adopted a dog in 2017.  She's a good dog and I like her, but I've purposely not gotten attached like I did with our lab. 

57 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Ya when I had to put down my old cat Jack last year it was truly the hardest day of my life. Harder than losing my grandparents or Dad or anything else. The overwhelming sense of responsibility just got to me. 

I can't explain the why behind my feelings but I am the same way.  Found out my cat of 10 years had cancer last year.  He went from seemingly healthy to in the ground in 3 weeks.  The grief I felt was far more intense than I had ever expected.  Still get a bit choked up when thinking too long about him.  RIP Charlie, you were a good cat.

• Hook 'Em 2

Charlie was beautiful! i love cats...had them my entire childhood. the last one i got in college when i was living in west campus by myself to keep me company. 

when i got married, she was part of the package and came with me, but my husband hates cats. like he's honestly scared of them or something lol. so when she died in 2004 at the ripe old age of 18 he said 'no more', we've only had dogs since. 

that's fine...he's significantly older and will most likely die first, and i am going to stop by the closest humane society on the way home from his funeral and get a cat 😄😊

but the suddeness just exacerbates the heartbreak and it's awful! we had a full-blooded 8 year old Catahoula, Pepper, who was just the biggest, loudest, sweetest personality of any dog ever, rowdy and rambunctious and not a mean bone in her entire body.

after a totally normal day/week/month, no injuries or incidents of any kind...she's in her bed and goes to get up and suddenly just starts screaming. we rush over and her back half is basically paralyzed, she couldn't stand or move her back legs. i mean nothing had happened to her, she was just in her bed! 

some sort of spinal stroke or something, honestly the vets were just guessing, couldn't find anything on xray...she didn't even respond to pain stimuli in her hind quarters. we waited 48 hours while they pumped her with steroids and the like with no change, but then made the call. i mean fuck, i know what you mean, you're just enjoying their presence and being with you and suddenly BOOM they are gone. it's the worst. 

anyways...just commiserating with you, your story brought up that memory. you did good, LTbear. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Charlie was beautiful! i love cats...had them my entire childhood. the last one i got in college when i was living in west campus by myself to keep me company. 

when i got married, she was part of the package and came with me, but my husband hates cats. like he's honestly scared of them or something lol. so when she died in 2004 at the ripe old age of 18 he said 'no more', we've only had dogs since. 

that's fine...he's significantly older and will most likely die first, and i am going to stop by the closest humane society on the way home from his funeral and get a cat 😄😊

but the suddeness just exacerbates the heartbreak and it's awful! we had a full-blooded 8 year old Catahoula, Pepper, who was just the biggest, loudest, sweetest personality of any dog ever, rowdy and rambunctious and not a mean bone in her entire body.

after a totally normal day/week/month, no injuries or incidents of any kind...she's in her bed and goes to get up and suddenly just starts screaming. we rush over and her back half is basically paralyzed, she couldn't stand or move her back legs. i mean nothing had happened to her, she was just in her bed! 

some sort of spinal stroke or something, honestly the vets were just guessing, couldn't find anything on xray...she didn't even respond to pain stimuli in her hind quarters. we waited 48 hours while they pumped her with steroids and the like with no change, but then made the call. i mean fuck, i know what you mean, you're just enjoying their presence and being with you and suddenly BOOM they are gone. it's the worst. 

anyways...just commiserating with you, your story brought up that memory. you did good, LTbear. 

Laughed about the cat part, not the doggo part.

RIP Charlie.  Fine boi.

• Like 1